Is my wheel broken???

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 5 comments
United States
Mass UTC-5
HugoStiglitz_420 and GTP_HugoStiglitz
Crisis averted : It was the custom rims I installed being too big.

So as you should be able to see in this video, when going through the hairpin at Deep Forest I've been noticing I turn the wheel, and sometimes if I turn it a little further, the in game wheel doesn't move for about a second, then it suddenly snaps to the degree I've turned it physically. I showed this snap both in bumper view (look at the red dot above the tach), and cockpit view.

At first I thought it was just some crazy understeer but now that I see it's like the game isn't even detecting that I'm adjusting the wheel until about a second later, I'm now worried my wheel is on it's way out. I'm also positive this isn't the first time I've noticed this problem either but I didn't put 2 and 2 together really until now.

To be fair it is 8 years old (Thrustmaster T300), but it's held up great for a long time. I'm still gonna be really bummed without a fully working wheel, until I can afford another which will be a while. Figures just when I was getting back into GT7 too.

Last edited:
Are you using bigger and/or wide wheels?

This, as well as lowering the car too much, can cause the wheels to rub against the body or wheel well. Resulting in a reduced turning radius.

So as you should be able to see in this video, when going through the hairpin at Deep Forest I've been noticing I turn the wheel, and sometimes if I turn it a little further, the in game wheel doesn't move for about a second, then it suddenly snaps to the degree I've turned it physically. I showed this snap both in bumper view (look at the red dot above the tach), and cockpit view.

At first I thought it was just some crazy understeer but now that I see it's like the game isn't even detecting that I'm adjusting the wheel until about a second later, I'm now worried my wheel is on it's way out. I'm also positive this isn't the first time I've noticed this problem either but I didn't put 2 and 2 together really until now.

To be fair it is 8 years old (Thrustmaster T300), but it's held up great for a long time. I'm still gonna be really bummed without a fully working wheel, until I can afford another which will be a while. Figures just when I was getting back into GT7 too.

Ok forgive me for asking this but is this problem with certain cats? If so, have you dropped the front suspension to bottom/ minimum?
I ask because I had long ago had same issue on my controller and when I was slowing down in the hairpins the steering came back jumped.
I ask because in GT7 if you drop the suspension too much the tyres WILL hit inside fenders and restrict steering and when you slow down some the car comes back up (springs/shocks uncompress) and wheels are not hitting inside fenders.

@GlockPants lol you posted same as I was typing...

Last edited:

This, as well as lowering the car too much, can cause the wheels to rub against the body or wheel well. Resulting in a reduced turning radius.
So actually i misread your comment at first. Im almost positive i do have bigger wheels installed. I didnt even think of that since its for a weekly time trial which has no tuning but i have an Eleanor livery installed and definitely bigger rims but probably also wider as well. First thing im gonna try is putting stock wheels on.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Thanks again. Literally the first lap I did after switching to stock rims was .5s faster than my previous best and the wheel stopped sticking. Got the gold time so easily after that. Crysis averted.

Thanks again. Literally the first lap I did after switching to stock rims was .5s faster than my previous best and the wheel stopped sticking. Got the gold time so easily after that. Crysis averted.
Glad that worked for you!

Back