Is my Xbox One X broken?

• Thread starter RaceFuchs
  • 7 comments
Germany
Near Nürburgring
DanPrez
Im worried and sad because it looks like my Xbox One X has some serious issues, most likely with its graphic card. The worst part here isnt even the fact we are talking about a brand new 499€ console. The worst thing is that i have never (!) owned a Microsoft console without failures. My original Xbox had a broken disc drive and in the Xbox 360 era i had three red rings of death. My first Xbox One had another disc drive failure. And now... the nightmare continous with the X.

Its a bit tricky though. The problems vary from game to game. However, they will only accour during real time gameplay / cutscenes, not in 2d or text menus, CGI videos or the system menu. I also watched a 4K Bluray with Blade Runner recently - no issues. So what happens in the games that worries this much?

In Forza 7, i see a sudden white flashing from time to time in the main menu / homespace. It almost looks like someone is taking photos with a flashing light. This wont happen during the race, though.

In AC Origins, the situation is far worse. After playing the game without any issues for three days, suddenly all kinds of graphic glitches started popping up. During gameplay, there are black flashing spots and flickering textures, it affects the sky, surfaces and anything else on the screen. It looks horrible.

First i thought this was just an AC Origins issue, but today i saw graphic glitches in Far Cry 5, too. There are white lines popping up across he screen from time to time, sometimes they are colourful. It looks like some strange distortion and very unhealthy.

In PUBG, there are no problems at all and i dont really understand why. I would bet that the graphic card is slowly dying, or that the drivers have some issue. But in that case, shouldnt other users see these issues, too? And shouldnt this affect PUBG as well?

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing something like this with their Xbox One X?

It definitely sounds like somethings wrong with the motherboard possibly the graphics chip soldering or the HDMI port, that is unless it's a faulty HDMI cable. Maybe some games push certain bits of the hardware in different ways which is why is it's happening on some but not others.

Have you tried different cables and a different TV? Your One X should still be under warranty right? Get Microsoft to replace it or if it's really new take it back to the retailer for an exchange.

Im worried and sad because it looks like my Xbox One X has some serious issues, most likely with its graphic card. The worst part here isnt even the fact we are talking about a brand new 499€ console. The worst thing is that i have never (!) owned a Microsoft console without failures. My original Xbox had a broken disc drive and in the Xbox 360 era i had three red rings of death. My first Xbox One had another disc drive failure. And now... the nightmare continous with the X.

Its a bit tricky though. The problems vary from game to game. However, they will only accour during real time gameplay / cutscenes, not in 2d or text menus, CGI videos or the system menu. I also watched a 4K Bluray with Blade Runner recently - no issues. So what happens in the games that worries this much?

In Forza 7, i see a sudden white flashing from time to time in the main menu / homespace. It almost looks like someone is taking photos with a flashing light. This wont happen during the race, though.

In AC Origins, the situation is far worse. After playing the game without any issues for three days, suddenly all kinds of graphic glitches started popping up. During gameplay, there are black flashing spots and flickering textures, it affects the sky, surfaces and anything else on the screen. It looks horrible.

First i thought this was just an AC Origins issue, but today i saw graphic glitches in Far Cry 5, too. There are white lines popping up across he screen from time to time, sometimes they are colourful. It looks like some strange distortion and very unhealthy.

In PUBG, there are no problems at all and i dont really understand why. I would bet that the graphic card is slowly dying, or that the drivers have some issue. But in that case, shouldnt other users see these issues, too? And shouldnt this affect PUBG as well?

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing something like this with their Xbox One X?
Sorry for asking... but why still buy XBox? I have never had any issues with Playstation. And I have owned each one since the PS1.

Last edited:
Sorry for asking... but why still buy XBox? I have never had any issues with Plasystation. And I have owned each one since the PS1.

Wow, solid way to completely miss the point of the thread. 👍

:rolleyes:

@RaceFuchs - it all sounds very odd. I too would suggest trying some different cables, doing a full power cycle, or trying a different TV. If that doesn't solve anything, can you take it to a brick-and-mortar Microsoft store? I assume that it should still be covered, it's less than six months old.

Last edited:
Wow, solid way to completely miss the point of the thread. 👍

:rolleyes:

@RaceFuchs - it all sounds very odd. I too would suggest trying some different cables, doing a full power cycle, or trying a different TV. If that doesn't solve anything, can you take it to a brick-and-mortar Microsoft store? I assume that it should still be covered, it's less than six months old.
It was a genuine question. If I had so many issues with 1 brand... why stay? But I guess OP should contact Microsoft support.

If you can afford both and both interest you, why not buy both? Not everyone feels the need to marry a brand.
Sorry guys I only saw the OP's signature after I posted. Did not want to start another Xbox v PS thread. I just read the post and was amazed how much bad luck the guy had with Xbox

The problems got even worse since my post, Assassins Creed is unplayable and Forza suffers some really strange issues too. I contacted the Xbox support, the console will be sent to the repair center. 21 days at least without PUBG, Forza or the Ubi games. Sad story!

Back