Is Pcars 2 worth getting?PS4 

• Thread starter DC2_Evan
  • 20 comments
United States
Ohio
OnlySlightlyBad
OnlySlightlyBad
So I've been thinking about picking up PC2 here soon, but all the reviews I see state that there was a bunch of bugs/glitches when it first came out. Have these been addressed or at least better? I'm mostly looking at PC2 for single player since GTS has great multiplayer but the single player is a bit light. Also, kinda related, how much has the DLC added to the game, is the season pass worth it?

If there is another thread discussing this, please shut this one down or delete it. Thanks.

Yes.
It's good fun in career, with some great racing online.
I would definitely recommend it.

There are some loose strands throughout and a few habits worth learning (like checking to make sure your vehicle setup loaded properly or you're on the correct tires), but for a singleplayer experience the game has been sorted out well enough. I've had the game from day one, and it wasn't very great at that point. The first two major updates helped a lot. Some who play online say the multiplayer side of things is still troublesome.

I'm happy with the DLC from the season pass -- the extra circuits really make it, and enough of the cars stand out to me to be worth it even though most of the rest aren't really to my liking.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've played the demo on Xbox with a controller, and on the PS4 with my Fanatec wheel and really enjoyed it like that. With the game being cheap at my local Gamestops, I may have to pick it up to really try it out. Glad to hear most of the issues got worked out as well. It's a shame it shipped like that, but I guess that's how the industry works now.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've played the demo on Xbox with a controller, and on the PS4 with my Fanatec wheel and really enjoyed it like that. With the game being cheap at my local Gamestops, I may have to pick it up to really try it out. Glad to hear most of the issues got worked out as well. It's a shame it shipped like that, but I guess that's how the industry works now.
SMS has it a bit harder because they crowd-sourced funding (and input) for PCARS1 and PCARS2 (hence "Community Assisted Racing Simulator"); Bandai Namco is only a distributor, not a full publisher. In other words, part of their problem is that their launch windows are influenced by how long they can afford to hold out.

I'm not bitter about being a pseudo-backer of sorts, but that's basically the gist of it -- crowd-funded to start, crowd-funded again at launch.

So I've been thinking about picking up PC2 here soon, but all the reviews I see state that there was a bunch of bugs/glitches when it first came out. Have these been addressed or at least better? I'm mostly looking at PC2 for single player since GTS has great multiplayer but the single player is a bit light. Also, kinda related, how much has the DLC added to the game, is the season pass worth it?

If there is another thread discussing this, please shut this one down or delete it. Thanks.

I notice you have a wheel in which case I think you will really enjoy PC2.

I don't have any problems with online, but I only do league races. I think the difficulty with online is for casual players looking for clean racing - for some reason the console lobbies don't have titles.

You should enjoy the single player side - personally I don't do the career races, but a lot of people enjoy those - I prefer practising via multi-class particularly historic racing, which works well with the good range of classic tracks and car list.

I notice you have a wheel in which case I think you will really enjoy PC2.

I don't have any problems with online, but I only do league races. I think the difficulty with online is for casual players looking for clean racing - for some reason the console lobbies don't have titles.

You should enjoy the single player side - personally I don't do the career races, but a lot of people enjoy those - I prefer practising via multi-class particularly historic racing, which works well with the good range of classic tracks and car list.
My main goal with PC2 is have a good single player experience. I do miss a career mode of sorts. I've been playing GTS lately, and while the multiplayer is, for the most part, great. The single player is lacking. I've been a huge Forza player since the first game, but I've lost interest in it over the years, but he career mode was always good, and took quite a while to get through. Hoping for more of the same here.

My experience with the CSL Elite Ps4 wasn't that great, it was frustrating first month trying to get decent FFB until i realized to test purple mode... Will redownload the demo and check if it's true how much better the FFB was back then.

Single player offline has fewer bugs than online, but you are still likely to encounter some weirdness with the AI's behavior. Inconsistent strength, inconsistent wet/dry pace, inconsistent pit and tire strategy, bad bugs with rolling starts (both in manual and auto driver during pre-start), pretty poor standing start behavior in most classes (too slow, you're usually mid pack or much better at T1 starting from the rear in standing start mode).

But compared to GTS, AI pace can be set MUCH higher. Enough to challenge all but the aliens.

You'll enjoy the game's offline mode until you run through it. One of the most common requests, custom offline championships so you can set your own challenges, cars, weather, tracks etc., has been ignored by SMS since the start of PC1. You can set anything up as a one time race (although you get no choice in opponents other than by group or one makes, so it's tough to dial in exact lineups), but championships, multi-race series, like the Career Mode does, you are out of luck.

And no, the bug-list is still War and Peace length. Quite a few biggies still exist, SMS have given up on their previously comprehensive patch notes so it's getting harder and harder to track down what's fixed, what's placebo, and what's newly added bugs (they always seem to add a few every patch!). Check out Asturbo's post on the PCARS2 forum...

Me, I don't blame crowdfunding. I blame SMS biting off more than they could chew, and then going bye-bye from their own forum and any significant player interaction while they work on the next game (some sort of mobile game is next, apparently). Looking at the unfixed buglist from PC1 to PC2, it doesn't bode well for PC3. Me, I'd rather fewer new features and the ones they already have working perfectly... But that seems to be an unpopular idea round here..!

Bottom line... don't trust ANYTHING. Don't trust that the setup you just practiced with will still be on the car as you go out to qualy or race. Don't trust that setting tire strategy to Automatic will work. Don't trust that your gear ratios won't mysteriously change in between sessions. Don't trust that the AI won't slam into you (or pass before green) during rolling starts. Don't trust anything automatic, and you will have a far less frustrating time racing the AI...

Single player offline has fewer bugs than online, but you are still likely to encounter some weirdness with the AI's behavior. Inconsistent strength, inconsistent wet/dry pace, inconsistent pit and tire strategy, bad bugs with rolling starts (both in manual and auto driver during pre-start), pretty poor standing start behavior in most classes (too slow, you're usually mid pack or much better at T1 starting from the rear in standing start mode).

But compared to GTS, AI pace can be set MUCH higher. Enough to challenge all but the aliens.

You'll enjoy the game's offline mode until you run through it. One of the most common requests, custom offline championships so you can set your own challenges, cars, weather, tracks etc., has been ignored by SMS since the start of PC1. You can set anything up as a one time race (although you get no choice in opponents other than by group or one makes, so it's tough to dial in exact lineups), but championships, multi-race series, like the Career Mode does, you are out of luck.

And no, the bug-list is still War and Peace length. Quite a few biggies still exist, SMS have given up on their previously comprehensive patch notes so it's getting harder and harder to track down what's fixed, what's placebo, and what's newly added bugs (they always seem to add a few every patch!). Check out Asturbo's post on the PCARS2 forum...

Me, I don't blame crowdfunding. I blame SMS biting off more than they could chew, and then going bye-bye from their own forum and any significant player interaction while they work on the next game (some sort of mobile game is next, apparently). Looking at the unfixed buglist from PC1 to PC2, it doesn't bode well for PC3. Me, I'd rather fewer new features and the ones they already have working perfectly... But that seems to be an unpopular idea round here..!

Bottom line... don't trust ANYTHING. Don't trust that the setup you just practiced with will still be on the car as you go out to qualy or race. Don't trust that setting tire strategy to Automatic will work. Don't trust that your gear ratios won't mysteriously change in between sessions. Don't trust that the AI won't slam into you (or pass before green) during rolling starts. Don't trust anything automatic, and you will have a far less frustrating time racing the AI...
Well this is all good to know. Appreciate the info. Hopefully with this I'll keep my expectations kinda low. Now I'll know to check my vehicle settings before every run.

I play 90% custom races with the AI and I never get bored, the number of tracks is incredible, you can play for weeks or even months without play the same track. About the AI, is awesome, if you adjust it according to your skill you get very good and intense races, that is the reason that I prefer to play offline, I get better races with the AI than with online players.
GT Sport is good to play online, but single player is so boring, the FFB if you play with wheel is poor, has very few tracks and the AI is so bad that you will get bored in one or two weeks, that happened to me.

I think that it's really worth to get the game and season pass, with the patches the game improved a lot for me, offline and online
I have really lots o fun in the career mode, and use the practice sessions to set up AI difficulty to my likings.
Getting some good ffb settings was a bit difficult, but achieved it finally.
It still has some bugs to iron out for sure, but got a good base now.

At the end of the day I see that all games got issues and bugs... PC2, GTS.. ASSETTO.
So I finally go to get a good time enjoying the strong points of every game ..

Online side of PC2 it improved quite a lot also...in the beginning it was not stable and there was a very annoying double lag when someone joined the lobby , that's now fixed And online is a lot more stable.

I prefer for private lobbies PC2 above GTS, GTS has quite some problems in online lobbies as synchronization between users, people that keep stuck at start, autopilot that does not deactivate on starts ...

On other side, for fast online racing I prefer GTS with sport mode thanks to the matchmaking system and those servers work as espected .

Both games have rating and penalty system, here i prefer the one PC2 offer, it's quite better than the one of GTS, but the problem is that PC2 doesn't have a a matchmaking system..

So it a bit hard to have high ranked rating public lobbies. ..

But like I said, for racing leagues I think it's a good game.

In resume, yes to PC2 for offline, good ffb, more variety and options than any other racing game on PS4 and good for private online racing leagues.

One of the things you have to get used to with PC2 is variable opinions depending on platform. Things are better online on the PC version online, by a considerable margin. Rooms can be named, total number of rooms open is always displayed, filter options are better.

XB1 suffers compared to PS4 (and even more, PC's) when it comes to practical max opponents offline.

Then, opinions vary depending on whether you are a league player, willing to race when you are told, what you are told and where you are told. My schedule is too varied to do that. Join a league, there is no better game, IMO. Want clean pickup races on console? Not so good...

Everyone's got their own idea of how they like to race. This game isn't all things to all people.

But for all its faults, it's my favorite racing game at present...:bowdown:

One of the things you have to get used to with PC2 is variable opinions depending on platform. Things are better online on the PC version online, by a considerable margin. Rooms can be named, total number of rooms open is always displayed, filter options are better.

XB1 suffers compared to PS4 (and even more, PC's) when it comes to practical max opponents offline.

Then, opinions vary depending on whether you are a league player, willing to race when you are told, what you are told and where you are told. My schedule is too varied to do that. Join a league, there is no better game, IMO. Want clean pickup races on console? Not so good...

Everyone's got their own idea of how they like to race. This game isn't all things to all people.

But for all its faults, it's my favorite racing game at present...:bowdown:
I plan on doing mostly single player stuff with PC2 since GTS single player is fairly lacking. I may try some league racing after the current FIA season in GTS but time will tell. The game comes in today so I'll probably be trying it out this week.

I plan on doing mostly single player stuff with PC2 since GTS single player is fairly lacking. I may try some league racing after the current FIA season in GTS but time will tell. The game comes in today so I'll probably be trying it out this week.
Did you have the chance to test the game? I´m thinking to buy it and I´m looking for opinions

Did you have the chance to test the game? I´m thinking to buy it and I´m looking for opinions
I have, but I haven't spent enough time in it to give a solid opinion. The little I played, I like but I need to spend more time with it. I picked up a brand new copy from gamestop for like 20 bucks. I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price.

I have, but I haven't spent enough time in it to give a solid opinion. The little I played, I like but I need to spend more time with it. I picked up a brand new copy from gamestop for like 20 bucks. I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price.
Nice price.. and congrats!! After the time spent, is it better than GTS or AC?

Nice price.. and congrats!! After the time spent, is it better than GTS or AC?
I really can't say to be honest. I might have 2 hours in it, and most of that was messing around with settings and the helmet cam. I'm hoping to get some more time with it this weekend if this truck I just bought is easy to fix. I wish I could be of more help man. So far, GTS is my favorite, but it's liek 75% because of Sport Mode.

It's always worth owning up to how many hours you have spent playing your old game as you compare to a new one. Obviously, the more you spend honing and fine tuning the old one, the longer you should expect to spend dialing the new one.

So often we forget how long it took us before we were completely comfortable in a game we have played for a long time. We owe any new game at least that long before we come to any really informed opinion about the new.

It's always worth owning up to how many hours you have spent playing your old game as you compare to a new one. Obviously, the more you spend honing and fine tuning the old one, the longer you should expect to spend dialing the new one.

So often we forget how long it took us before we were completely comfortable in a game we have played for a long time. We owe any new game at least that long before we come to any really informed opinion about the new.
Exactly. I know I probably won't spend as much time in PC2 as I have GTS, but I do still plan on spending quite a bit of time with it, probably after the end of the current FIA season in GTS.

Back