Is racing against the AI any good?

• Thread starter cebra216
  • 8 comments
Germany
Germany
I'm thinking of buying a gaming PC in order to have some more racing simulations to play than on my PS5. One of my reasons for that is surely AC. I loved the mods for GTR2 back then and wasted a lot of time to rebuild some championships.
Exactly that would be possible in AC. But what is scaring my off a bit is the AI. I will drive only against the computer and the main feedback is that the AI is pretty bad overall. I'm hearing that most of the time the leader is driving away at the front and the cars behind you are only driving their paths without trying to overtake.
I've found out, that ~5 years ago a new AI update has arrived, which has improved the AIs.
Is it really that bad today? Can you recommend it? Are they any mods which improves the racing against the AI?

I know that there are some newer racing simulations with a good AI (e.g. ACC, RF2, AMS2) but I think I will love the ability to use those mods.

The AI is hit or miss depending on the track, with AC when a track is created the creator can add AI files, not all tracks get this by default but most do, and for the most part it is at least usable, you can download new AI files from places like the PC Modding thread here, or RaceDepartment, or you can even make your own if needed.

I did not like the AI in this game, they seemed pretty timid and clumsy.

Last edited:
Having played solo a good number of hours, I can tell you that it depends on what you expect from your AI.

For me, I note this:
- The AI sometimes has trouble taking initiatives on its own and won't dare overtake you, it will slow down when it could overtake you (but as said above, you can adapt your AI with files created by the modders, it changes things a lot and it gives them better intelligence in the race)

- Assetto Corsa does not really take into account "errors" or random events. No engine failure, collisions between drivers, race incidents or retirements that can spice up the race. If a driver leaves the track, it will be difficult to get back on it and sometimes half the cars are DNF in 2 laps. On a 1h or 2h race, you can quickly find it very linear or boring if nothing happens.

- And finally, everything depends on the cars, circuits and mods. Some combinations are great and allow you to have a lot of fun. Others are impossible.

Basically, with the incredible amount of mods on AC, you will find something to have fun with the AI. And modders keep making it better and better. For me, it's interesting despite the flaws I cite above.

(sorry for my english ^^)

I've read many times that in almost every race the leader is driving a big gap to the next cars.
Is that really the case? Can it be adjusted via a mod or something else?

Indeed, often the leader (and sometimes the first 2 or 3 depending on the number of drivers entered) start far ahead. As if the AI wanted you to fight only one pilot. For my part I do not find it disturbing, but to my knowledge there is nothing that exists to overcome this problem.

Maybe use hand-made BOPs, but it's hard work.

You can have great racing with the AI if you're ready to accept it's not going to be great eith every combo. Audi TT cup race is good for example. So you can definitely find great races if that's what you really want and dont mind settling for specifics.

Last edited:
Indeed, often the leader (and sometimes the first 2 or 3 depending on the number of drivers entered) start far ahead. As if the AI wanted you to fight only one pilot. For my part I do not find it disturbing, but to my knowledge there is nothing that exists to overcome this problem.

Maybe use hand-made BOPs, but it's hard work.
Hard work to add some ballast to a few cars? Do that with CM in 5 minutes after a couple of practice session with all the cars you want to enter in a race. Take note of who are the fastest cars and add ballast, then check again. It's a good start for BOP.

Last edited:
Hard work to add some ballast to a few cars? Do that with CM in 5 minutes after a couple of practice session with all the cars you want to enter in a race. Take note of who are the fastest cars and add ballast, then check again. It's a good start for BOP.
It might work but I don't think Assetto Corsa works that way. With 20 similar cars, the drivers who will be good in one session will not necessarily be so in the next session if we quit the game, add ballast and restart the game.

I think BoP is mostly done to balance vehicles (if using multiple different cars) but not to balance AIs. But maybe I'm wrong :)

Back