is the b-spec driver drunk?

  • Thread starter Thread starter K-BRIGGS
  • 26 comments
  • 2,588 views
Messages
49
i just got into the b-spec driving andd noticed thet even when i set it to steady or cruise he still runs into the back of other cars on straight aways instead of going around them. he also will go flying off the track or not stop in time for 90* turns. im only at around 3,000 b-spec skill points right now, so my question is how many skill points do you need before he will drive like a sane person and make good decisions?
 
I haven't used b spec much & I think mines on about 3000 points, just remember to stick 'overtake' on & he shouldn't run into the other cars quite as much. I'd be careful letting it near MR and/or heavy cars though :sly:
 
i can set it on steady with overtake on and this all still happens.
 
Right now I'm in the middle of running the 24hr nurburgring on b-spec and my driver is whomping ass. I've got like 500 b-spec points, i think.

He's using the Nissan 350Z Concept LM Race Car '02

currently lap 116. 7 laps ahead of second place. 14 laps ahead of last place. set on steady and overtake.

The only time I seem to have trouble using b-spec is LM Car races like to GT World championship.
 
:D :D :D he ain't drunk (although he does act like it when you first start b specking but doesn't any driver?) your b spec points determine how well he drives mine are over 7000 and he goes off on some of the tracks still from time to time but not as much as he did when i first started out in the game
 
I think most people have troubles with B-spec when they just set it on and expect it to be great. I found that the way to get the most out of it is to actually control it with the pace selections. My B-spec driver is terrible at Suzuka on its own, but with me controlling it, it gets a lot better. You also have to remember that tire wear is an issue that the computer doesn't really allow for.
 
Controlling it actively is definitely the way to go. That said, even with a crapload of point, my AI driver still struggles when passing and will usually just bump the next car repeatedly until a HUGE opening appears that he can take advantage of. He's an expert at everything else, and can tear through almost any track on 4 without supervision. I rarely do that, as the AI seems to advance in points quicker while being actively controlled. I do not know if this is true, just what I think.

I know on the screen that shows Bspec points, there is a skill for Battling Cars (please correct me if I'm wrong)... I'm at 70 right now on that I believe (I'm racing the Ring so can't check)... Anyway, point being, as that goes up, I would THINK your AI's ability to pass will increase. I hope. Until then I'll keep yelling "pass, idiot!" at the screen.
 
My B-spec driver is at around 1800 skill points, and he has some trouble in Seattle. You know that small "S" turn right before the finish line (or right after depending which way you go)? I had to tone down the pace from push to steady for him to make that through without hitting the exit wall.

Sometimes you have to control the pace. It usually depends on the track, but I'm not sure if it depends on the car as well.

When your B-Spec gets to first place, try taking overtake off and see if his driving changes. I haven't tried this myself, but see if this works.
 
scarredgoth21
:D :D :D he ain't drunk (although he does act like it when you first start b specking but doesn't any driver?) your b spec points determine how well he drives mine are over 7000 and he goes off on some of the tracks still from time to time but not as much as he did when i first started out in the game

Haha same.
 
red_infinity
My B-spec driver is at around 1800 skill points, and he has some trouble in Seattle. You know that small "S" turn right before the finish line (or right after depending which way you go)? I had to tone down the pace from push to steady for him to make that through without hitting the exit wall.

Sometimes you have to control the pace. It usually depends on the track, but I'm not sure if it depends on the car as well.

When your B-Spec gets to first place, try taking overtake off and see if his driving changes. I haven't tried this myself, but see if this works.

I usually take off overtake and lower pace after he gets me first place and he very seldom goes off the road, in fact he starts increasing his lead.
 
yeah i do the same, get him into 1st place.... then set medium or reduced pace (depending on what tyres i'm using)

i really hate the way the b spec driver hogs the racing line at every opportunity... god i dont drive like that haha

my b skill is 5371 after 370 miles, and he still drives like a girl (ouch, think i'll get some stick for that hehe). i set speed 4 on the oval track (its the 4th or 5th race of All Japan GT).... he crashed on a bend and then didnt win, sigh (using my maxed ZZII)

the 1st car i used b spec was my viper strt10 maxed (over 1000 bhp), he hasnt lost in it yet LOL

gord
 
:guilty: my b-spec driver just lost the first race of the Professional league Tuner Race using a Cien tuned to 878 hp 👎
 
After doing some research, I've found that the best way to work with B-Spec is what others have said: Use PUSH to get to the front (if you didnt qualify there yourself) then bring the pace down to stead or even cruise to help manage the turns better. The speed setting seems to only apply to how aggressive the driver is in the turns. On straightaways he's still WOT.

And the more B-spec points, the better the driver, but even with a lot of points, I don't hear too many people mentioning how well their drivers handle such complicated manuevers like passing.
 
what the person above said is true.. on the straights the copilot is WOT.. but the pace that you set him in and whether overtake is on or off change his braking point and line considerably....

1 brakes WAY early.. (good on tires though)
2 early braking (no mistakes)
3 good braking good laptimes = no mistakes.. most used setting
4 late brake helps when you need to catch up
5 WAY late braking.. i found out that in city couses your driver will just bump other cars out of his way with this setting... so for hong kong and other city courses 5 is good till u get into first then 3 and no overtake
 
I've been playing GT4 (25.2% complete) and been playing A-spec for all of the races. I haven't tried B-spec yet. what is the B-spec all about? (sorry B-spec newibe question LOL)
 
My b-spec skills are:
8268,92,81,80

Some times he make a mistake but is very rare.

43.6% of game done in 656 Days.

Cr. 8,304,500
 
just mess around with fuel load, tire compound, tire wear, and the settings telling him waht to do and he will be much better. B spec is also known as " Race Director" mode. And i dont think race directors leaves their driver to do what ever they want without giving them commands. Many consider B spec cheating. And yes it is cheating if u go to sleep and expect to finish a 24h race. But its not cheating if ur actually directing the race

And from waht i know, real race directors dont go to sleep, or else they would be fired
 
what I did when I first started b spec is I race A-spec until I was first then pit and switch to B-spec and from there let him drive on level 3 until the end..
 
man my b-spec drivers sucks with passing. drives nowhere near as aggressive as i normally would. on the start, it keeps driving behind other people when it could pass everyone up all at once. i guess it's okay to switch modes when you have like 24 hours to race but like 3laps? man.

although, i can't complain. my driver never seems to hit the dirt or go crazy. i'm always pushing and overtaking. i do, however, take overtake off when he's in the lead. but yeah. maybe it's the cars? so far, i've tested b-spec with sti-c '04 and skyline gtr '99. both are spec'd out except for turbo. couldn't afford the best.
 
I just put the B- spec driver on a track and have him do practice laps while I eat dinner or watch tv..you do not even have to leave the TV on ..when you come back ..presto ! your driver has had an increase in all his stats. I'm not going to hope that he " learns " the courses but his skills do improve and thats all that counts. tonight i may just leave the little drunk at the ring and let him slave while I sleep.
 
Bubble Bunny
And from waht i know, real race directors dont go to sleep, or else they would be fired

Well, from what I know, real manual transmissions have a clutch, real 24hr races go through a time-of-day change and real cars with high power ratings don't understeer when you go WOT in a corner...
 
i never said the race directors couldnt be drunk. hell, im on my 4th beer right know.
 
ledhed
I just put the B- spec driver on a track and have him do practice laps while I eat dinner or watch tv..you do not even have to leave the TV on ..when you come back ..presto ! your driver has had an increase in all his stats. I'm not going to hope that he " learns " the courses but his skills do improve and thats all that counts. tonight i may just leave the little drunk at the ring and let him slave while I sleep.

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I have never thought about doing that at all....:O Good way to use B-Spec to improve the AI while I do HW and not have to worry about my AI losing! :O 👍
 
I'm not sure if B-Spec points has anything to do with the skill of your B-Spec driver.. I think it's just what it is, a point system that has no real value but maybe some kind of bragging rights.

Furthermore, Polyphony Digital probably purposely made B-Spec mode drive like a 4 year old at the wheel of your mom's Corolla on purpose so that you have more reason to run the races yourself. B-Spec mode was easy to win with in the early races.. about 50% onward into the game, you'll notice B-Spec will hardly get you anywhere.

I am curious to know if the B-Spec point system really does increase the CPU's driving abilities.. but I haven't noticed it changing anything in my case.

Jay
 
Back