Is there a place for casual players on-line?

• Thread starter Tall Paul
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
After playing sport for a few weeks now and longing for some good on-line racing finding little of that, is it right for me?

I want to say yes. Last week race B was pretty fun. This week race C is pretty fun. Granted I'm a back of the pack driver, I do my best to run a clean race getting penalties for being hit sucks but I probably could have been in a different line and wouldn't have gotten the penalty. The D driver rating appears to be where I'll stay, with a S Sr rating. Would love to be better, however I'm a casual player and by the time I've gotten a track down it's a new week and the tracks change.

I understand the BOP but being able to tune your car for your driving style would be an advantage, and make it more enjoyable.

I've played for years going all the way back to the original Gran Turismo. League racing could give the racing I'm after but don't want to be on a schedule. I average 50 hours a week at work and adding a schedule just work make it more like a job than fun.

Running against the AI is far cleaner than other players, but not a challenge.

So is there a better option than the daily races with out league commitments?

Thanks for your thoughts and time.
Paul.

Set up your own lobby, you can get a load of like minded and similar skilled players together, and set your own races (tracks and cars). Set it up in advance on the forum, rather than just hoping to attract randoms who might see your lobby when open

I think there's room for casual players in the daily races, FIA not so much, there's various leagues and clubs online, a bit of googleing should give you some options, they vary in seriousness, but I'm sure you'll find something.

I'd suggest only doing race C's for a bit.
In race A and B it can be super hard to build your SR rating and way to easy to loose it, but in race C it's relatively easy and although you'll still encounter people who drive like a jackass even at SR99 it'll be a much more civilized experience for you.

It's possible to be a casual player in sport mode but DRD likely means you're surrounded by other casual players with similar skills to your own and with a lot of unpredictable races as a result. If you want the chance of better races, ideally you need to be a better racer yourself.

Thank you for the input. Keeping my SR at S doesn't seem to be an issue. It's getting the DR above D that is the issue. Yes I agree that I need to improve my skills to be better. Does running in the lobby count towards rating? I was under the impression that it doesn't.

I do like the idea of gathering like minded players. Sometimes just running with better drivers is what's needed to improve. From 06 to 09 I played NASCAR on Xbox. Ran in a league that did 100% length races. That truly made for better driving. Being able to voice chat during races helped. I can only guess that voice chatting in Sport isn't an option as I've not heard the "sweakers."

Daily race C does give me the ability to improve DR just by attrition alone. Also there are more laps and with tire wear your forced to drive a bit smarter.

Something else to consider might be controller upgrade. Currently just use the "joystick" that is included with the system. I do remember switching to a wheel greatly improved racing in NASCAR.

Again thank you for the input.
Paul

GT Sport is one of few good racing games where you can be as good on controller as on wheel.

Lobbies do not help your rating.
Just keep grinding, learning circuits, cars and racing lines.
When you reach B-rating, join some leagues in here.

The driver rating is nothing which has a goal of being maxed out tho, it‘s just a speed indicator for you and others and some people who never raced in Sport Mode and thus have an E/B rating might actually be of S/S‘ speed :D

My advice would be to just drive and try to improve little by little. Once you found the basic speed it‘ll take more time to actually found the last few bits but in general you‘re off for good if you knew the basics and manage to clock consistent times. There are a few rather casual racing leagues or non-league lobby events held here, just check out the forums.

What also is a good thing to improve skills is to have a look into the WRS which‘s "schedule" is 8 days :lol: And if you do like the week‘s combination there are two races held on Thursday and Sunday.

Sure. Just don't expect to win, or even race at a competitive level, though.

I consider myself a casual player (as in using assists and AT, thus putting myself at a huge disadvantage) and found Sport mode to be an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:
I find a lot depends on the tracks and the cars chosen.

Some i am into and seem to do ok - others i just can't get into and I'll just be shoved down to pack to last 2 positions. I like the longer (C) races as i find them cleaner as people don't just try and barge past immediately, it's a slightly different mindset to the short sprint races and allows you more of a rhythm.
Another thing is the matchmaking. Ive had (for the same qually time) starting in pole for 2 races, and then an hour later, starting outside the top 10.

Back