• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 8 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Something I'm unsure of is if we can think of having a track-ready motorcycle that also subs as a great daily motorbike. The term "track car" applies to cars either specifically-tuned for racing on a track or a daily driver that also makes a great track racing car. Is this any different with motorcycles? For example, could you ride something like a Yamaha YZF-R6 around on a day-to-day, then take it to the track to do some track day action with other bikes on the weekend? Could there be a such deal as a "track bike" as much as track cars? And if there is a such thing as taking a street bike and tuning it into a racing bike (no matter what style of motorcycle racing), what are some good ones to use for racing?

I think alot of the sports bikes are already worthy of track use, the Ninja ZX10 for instance is basically a race bike on the road with stiff suspension and little in terms of comfort. You can buy dirt track ready bikes for the road, so I imagine the sports bikes are plenty track worthy on tarmac.

I think there was ever was such a thing called a "track" bike. I think the closest term to that is a café racer. Its something similar to what a track car is, but they would mostly be like an old bike or some sort. Mostly there are also modern superbikes that are used only for the track, but the thing is they are so closely resemble to a race bike that you couldn't tell them apart. Just have a look:

2762942503_151e2693e1.jpg

2613547659_1a6aaf4843.jpg

To the untrained eye (or little knowledge about bikes) they may do look similar, but there is a subtle difference between them. ;)

But I agree with Dragonistic though, most sports bike can be used as a track bike stock. Bikes like the Yamaha R1/R6 and the Kawasaki Ninja are very capable track bikes straight from the factory..... 👍

Adding to what has already been said, Ducati usually make 'S' and 'R' versions of their superbikes. These are their equivalents of the GT3 and GT3 RS 911s - Harder core, stripped down more track-focused versions of an already quick vehicle. Other bike manufacturers probably do the same.

Have any of you guys done a track day?
I thought that would be a pretty common thing, but maybe not.
For track days you usually have to tape up your lights, remove the license plate, and not much else. Some tracks might want the coolant to be water only, or the oil drain plug safety wired. Any sportbike would make a good track day bike.

The big jump to race at a club level is all about tires. You need slicks and tire warmers. You go thru tires fast too. Its really expensive. And race bikes have aftermarket plastic and no lights, obviously. Usually a full system exhaust and a power commander is all the modding that gets done. After that it takes the form of suspension pieces. But tires are key.

Have any of you guys done a track day?
I thought that would be a pretty common thing, but maybe not.
For track days you usually have to tape up your lights, remove the license plate, and not much else. Some tracks might want the coolant to be water only, or the oil drain plug safety wired. Any sportbike would make a good track day bike.

The big jump to race at a club level is all about tires. You need slicks and tire warmers. You go thru tires fast too. Its really expensive. And race bikes have aftermarket plastic and no lights, obviously. Usually a full system exhaust and a power commander is all the modding that gets done. After that it takes the form of suspension pieces. But tires are key.

I've done a few track days. I use my road bike, as I don't have a dedicated track bike. There's always the thought in my mind; "don't bin it cos you have to ride it home".
Ducati 996 was a race bike before it was a road bike - another homologation special to allow Ducati to use bigger engines in their SBK race bikes.
How many other "road" bikes have an adjustable headstock? :lol:

On track with my GSXR some 3-5 times per summer, . I would ride more but opportunities are limited due to track time/distance to them (summer is only 4-5 months).

Road riding is nothing compared to even slow trackking experience. The best thing you can do with a sports bike is to take it to a track.

Modern bikes dont need any changes when ridden by average rider/speed. Checking tires and getting a feel on how brakes work once warm are among the most important quidelines. Taking it very slow at first and upping speed gradually is important too.

Any sports bike these days can be a worthy track bike. Most of the speed comes from the rider at a track day. Depending on the circuit, if you can punt your bike well you can be quicker than a lot of quicker machinery.
Plenty of road tyres out there are very capable on a track too. I recommend Pirelli Supercorsa Pro, ultimate security on the road, and essentially a slick for the track as no tread on the outer inch or so of rubber.
A track day is about fun, not winning. So go have fun.

Back