Is there a way of repainting the car...

• Thread starter matherto
  • 28 comments
matherto
...without having to use the livery editor option?

As in, I've got a black Clio R.S. and I want it to be Liquid Yellow, so I buy the Liquid Yellow paint option but then in the livery editor it paints all of the chrome/silver bits yellow too and I don't want that.

Is there not a way of just swapping the colour you've got for the one you want?

It's similar with the 208 GTI. I want it matte black with red but I don't want to have to faff around in the livery editor trying to get it to match what you can buy in the showroom and make sure the split between the colours is in the right place, etc.

You could technically see if someone has made the livery in the showcase but searching through trying to find it is tiresome and I haven't been able to yet so there must be an easier option that I've missed surely? I couldn't find it in GTS when wanting to change the colours of my Veyron, is it the only way to do it in GT7 too?

Is there a way of repainting the car without having to use the livery editor option?
No. However both cars you mention can be bought new from Brand Central in the colours you require.

For most cars painting the "Other" section in chrome or matte black usually does the trick with keeping it stock-looking.
Other than that you could check if somebody shared an unlocked version of the stock livery that can be repainted to whatever you want.

...without having to use the livery editor option?

As in, I've got a black Clio R.S. and I want it to be Liquid Yellow, so I buy the Liquid Yellow paint option but then in the livery editor it paints all of the chrome/silver bits yellow too and I don't want that.

Is there not a way of just swapping the colour you've got for the one you want?

It's similar with the 208 GTI. I want it matte black with red but I don't want to have to faff around in the livery editor trying to get it to match what you can buy in the showroom and make sure the split between the colours is in the right place, etc.

You could technically see if someone has made the livery in the showcase but searching through trying to find it is tiresome and I haven't been able to yet so there must be an easier option that I've missed surely? I couldn't find it in GTS when wanting to change the colours of my Veyron, is it the only way to do it in GT7 too?
Yeah, I think its a big problem too! Partly because, just as you said, that there is color where you don't want it and partly because decals disappear. Speaking of stickers that disappear, I hope they make it so you can add decals without losing the original decals. The way it is now is quite annoying...
I want to be able to repaint the car and add decals without the standard decals disappearing or that what shouldn't be painted gets painted.

Yeah, I think its a big problem too! Partly because, just as you said, that there is color where you don't want it and partly because decals disappear. Speaking of stickers that disappear, I hope they make it so you can add decals without losing the original decals. The way it is now is quite annoying...
I want to be able to repaint the car and add decals without the standard decals disappearing or that what shouldn't be painted gets painted.
You'd come up agains some potential trademark or copyright issues there. Some brands don't want their cars associated with other brands (Ferrari cars I see this often) so you have to find the logo in the community

I hate the fact that it acts like someone just dumps a huge bucket of paint on the car. Buy a custom spoiler set and want to keep the original coloring? Yeah good luck with that. Even if you paint the car and then buy the custom spoiler, it still takes on the "new" paintjob.

Wish there were ways around that. I'm sure the original models of the cars have their material zones all properly set up, why is the livery editor so restrictive in that respect?

I hate the fact that it acts like someone just dumps a huge bucket of paint on the car. Buy a custom spoiler set and want to keep the original coloring? Yeah good luck with that. Even if you paint the car and then buy the custom spoiler, it still takes on the "new" paintjob.

Wish there were ways around that. I'm sure the original models of the cars have their material zones all properly set up, why is the livery editor so restrictive in that respect?
For most cars it’s not. When you go to paint the car, most of them give you the option to paint different parts and trim different colors. If you just do “Paint All” and that’s it, then it does just that. You have to go manually change the color of spoilers, hoods, trim, mirrors, roll cage, etc. if you want them different colors than the main body.
I’m not sure why certain cars don’t allow this, but for the vast majority of the cars in the game you have the options to do different color schemes on different parts of the car. If using a controller you can even press R3 to show you what all areas the color will change.

You'd come up agains some potential trademark or copyright issues there. Some brands don't want their cars associated with other brands (Ferrari cars I see this often) so you have to find the logo in the community
But that's not exactly what I meant. Without the fact that factory stickers disappear when you want to add others or want to repaint the car - it's wrong.

For most cars it’s not. When you go to paint the car, most of them give you the option to paint different parts and trim different colors. If you just do “Paint All” and that’s it, then it does just that. You have to go manually change the color of spoilers, hoods, trim, mirrors, roll cage, etc. if you want them different colors than the main body.
I’m not sure why certain cars don’t allow this, but for the vast majority of the cars in the game you have the options to do different color schemes on different parts of the car. If using a controller you can even press R3 to show you what all areas the color will change.
Yes you're correct, but what boggles my mind is that when you do select the individual zones, there's no "default paint" option. I think that's the point I was trying to get across - it's either all-or-nothing it seems.

That's not what he's saying though. This isn't a case of reapplying factory stickers / graphics to other cars but simply to change the color of the car, add new decals, etc. without the original ones disappearing. Case in point would the racing stripes and GT350 decal on the sides of the Ford Mustang GT350. ....or the vinyl roof and hood decal on the '70 Challenger, the FIAT Abarth decals, racing stripes on the Viper, etc., etc.

He said he just wanted the ability to "add decals without the standard decals disappearing or that what shouldn't be painted gets painted."

That's not what he's saying though. This isn't a case of reapplying factory stickers / graphics to other cars but simply to change the color of the car, add new decals, etc. without the original ones disappearing. Case in point would the racing stripes and GT350 decal on the sides of the Ford Mustang GT350. ....or the vinyl roof and hood decal on the '70 Challenger, the FIAT Abarth decals, racing stripes on the Viper, etc., etc.

He said he just wanted the ability to "add decals without the standard decals disappearing or that what shouldn't be painted gets painted."
I get that - but my point still stands. What if you wanted to add a Michelin sticker to the Ferrari, which is only sponsored by Pirrelli, or you added Gulf and Mobil alongside the original Shell.

It's too much hassle for the game to consider what decals are and aren't compatible with the original so if you want to edit another Team/Manufacturer's intellectual product/brand then you have to start with a clean slate.

Paint wise though I totally agree

I get that - but my point still stands. What if you wanted to add a Michelin sticker to the Ferrari, which is only sponsored by Pirrelli, or you added Gulf and Mobil alongside the original Shell.

It's too much hassle for the game to consider what decals are and aren't compatible with the original so if you want to edit another Team/Manufacturer's intellectual product/brand then you have to start with a clean slate.

Paint wise though I totally agree
....but you can already add those decals to any of the Ferraris or mix an match any decals together. What we're talking about are the original factory decals and trim pieces that are unpainted, etc. I don't understand the conflict.

If it's original race liveries you're talking about and that is indeed a valid concern of theirs, then simply don't allow it on those. .....make players start over from scratch like they do now. Pretty simple to implement an exception like that.

You have to "Paint All" to even get the individual zones to appear in the first place. It makes no sense why PD designed it this way.

Similarly, we can't mix and match any of the carbon fiber "paints" with any other paint colour. So on cars where the editor paints over all the carbon trim, we're just screwed (player made carbon fiber decals mostly end up looking like a blurry mess and aren't really viable alternatives).

It's ridiculous.

a Michelin sticker to the Ferrari
lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2016-62-scuderia-corsa-ferrari-458-italia-bill-sweedler-jeff-se.jpg

<angryferrarinoises>

I'd suggest a more obvious possibility.

Decals that are on the car as default are on their own optimised texture maps which are applied to the 'shells' that decals are mapped on to. Once you go into the livery editor that texture map is replaced by a blank, lower-res one (because it won't be optimised) that's built up by applying decals, and that's also why custom decals always look worse than the default ones.

I'd suggest that's just how PD have done it, and not for any particular reason. Handling recolouring the cars separately from the livery editor might have been an option, clearly it's technically possible to change the colour of the car, without it affecting default stickers because that's how the game offers different colours of cars... but they went down the livery editor route, and here we are.

....but you can already add those decals to any of the Ferraris or mix an match any decals together. What we're talking about are the original factory decals and trim pieces that are unpainted, etc. I don't understand the conflict.

If it's original race liveries you're talking about and that is indeed a valid concern of theirs, then simply don't allow it on those. .....make players start over from scratch like they do now. Pretty simple to implement an exception like tha
lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2016-62-scuderia-corsa-ferrari-458-italia-bill-sweedler-jeff-se.jpg

<angryferrarinoises>
You're completely missing my point... I'm not saying you can't get a Michelin sticker on a Ferrari. Of course you can, they've been on Ferraris at Le Mans for years. I've done it in my 458 Le Mans tribute design, but they are community designs, not from the game.

IMG_8065.JPG

What I am saying is you cannot take that design and image and add to it - it is not yours to add to. So in Livery Editor, they have to take away the original design for legal reasons.

In the game you can only include these brands on Ferraris:
IMG_8066.JPG

Last edited:
So in Livery Editor, they have to take away the original design for legal reasons.
This doesn't hold anything like true for all the cars in game.. though licensing no doubt does have an impact on what PD put in the game, it's NOT responsible for simple stripes disappearing from certain cars. It's not licensing, simple as.

This doesn't hold anything like true for all the cars in game.. though licensing no doubt does have an impact on what PD put in the game, it's NOT responsible for simple stripes disappearing from certain cars. It's not licensing, simple as.
Or for even the car's name badge to disappear like on the Evos and the Truenos just to name a few.

Maybe. But its not up to us to decide who those stripes belong and GT/Polyphony/Sony can do without the hassle. It was even in the news today about Zara suing a company called Zana for trade marks

Or for even the car's name badge to disappear like on the Evos and the Truenos just to name a few.
That is annoying and potential an unintended consequence of them removing the base layer of decals

Maybe. But its not up to us to decide who those stripes belong and GT/Polyphony/Sony can do without the hassle. It was even in the news today about Zara suing a company called Zana for trade marks
Lolwut.

If House of Zana vs. Zara is not remotely the same.

The thing is those stripes already exist in the game as OEM paint schemes when buying cars from Brand Central. This system already exists in the game.

It makes no sense why we can't go and pick another OEM paint (say for a gift car or if we just wanted to try another colour) without having to resort to the livery editor. At least with Brand Central cars we can just buy another one. With cars that only show up in the UCD or LCD, like the old muscle cars with 30+ OEM paint schemes, we're completely out of luck (especially when PD keeps recycling the poop brown Trans Am).

Also, let's not forget that we have to strip the car bare just to put on a license plate decal. And it's kind of hilarious that the pre-order exclusive RX Vision Stealth Gr3 car comes with a blank race number card but you can't add in an actual number without removing all of the decals.

Last edited:
Lolwut.

If House of Zana vs. Zara is not remotely the same.
It's an example of a company taking its brand very seriously (and judged too seriously).

Anyway unsubscribing now. Yes it is annoying that it removes the original decals, especially valid logos, but like I said probably an unintended consequence of Sony/Polyphony or whoever as a result of licensing agreements from certain manufacturers and is unlikely to change or very low down on the priority list for them

The thing is those stripes already exist in the game as OEM paint schemes when buying cars from Brand Central. This system already exists in the game.

It makes no sense why we can't go and pick another OEM paint (say for a gift car or if we just wanted to try another colour) without having to resort to the livery editor. At least with Brand Central cars we can just buy another one. With cars that only show up in the UCD or LCD, like the old muscle cars with 30+ OEM paint schemes, we're completely out of luck (especially when PD keeps recycling the poop brown Trans Am).

Also, let's not forget that we have to strip the car bare just to put on a license plate decal. And it's kind of hilarious that the pre-order exclusive RX Vision Stealth Gr3 car comes with a blank race number card but you can't add in an actual number without removing all of the decals.
I’m sure its not as easy as just copy/paste code from Brand Central to Livery Editor to make that possible. There is likely other stuff involved and to consider and it’s apparently not worth the effort (whatever all that actually entails and however much or little it actually is) to those who have final say in how things ultimately work in game. No-one here has the power to change how this works or justify the decisions they’ve made or why, unless someone from PD management or executive is here and can explain?

To be fair, you don’t always have your choice of colors when being gifted a car or buying a used car or a rare/classic car like what’s sold in UCD and LCD in the real world. You are at the mercy of what is being given to you as a gift/prize and what’s currently up for sale on the market. If there are only poppy red ‘65 Mustangs for sale and you want a wimbledon white one…too bad. You either wait for a white one to come up for sale or buy a red one. You can’t force the used car market options. Buying used cars is not like buying a brand new car at a dealership where you get to walk in and hand select every option available so it’s built to your liking. Same with how video games work.

As with pretty much all other gripes like this…it’s just how PD decided to ultimately make things work or resemble real world scenarios and situations. They have lots of restrictions (time, budget, license agreements and a WHOLE lot more) and can’t custom tailor all game functions/features or include unlimited options or ways of doing things so that everyone’s personal desires of how they want things to work are all fulfilled.

In GTS you can buy any and all cars from Brand Central in whatever OEM colour, with stripes and all, that's available on that car.

PD went out of their way to make the process more user unfriendly in GT7.

It's remarkable.

Last edited:
You're completely missing my point... I'm not saying you can't get a Michelin sticker on a Ferrari. Of course you can, they've been on Ferraris at Le Mans for years. I've done it in my 458 Le Mans tribute design, but they are community designs, not from the game.

What I am saying is you cannot take that design and image and add to it - it is not yours to add to. So in Livery Editor, they have to take away the original design for legal reasons.

In the game you can only include these brands on Ferraris:
I'm not missing your point but again, we're simply talking about the fact that you can lose things (in several instances) like racing stripes, graphics, stock badges, emblems, etc. when trying to add any decals or just trying to repaint the car. In some cases trim pieces will be painted over vs. being left bare or their original color (that were not painted over in stock form).

Examples include the Z28 racing stripes, the Super Bee rear fender stripes and SB logo, The vinyl top texture I mentioned from the '70 Challenger, the Abarth (new an old) Fiats, the '83 GTi side stripes, the Mach 1 graphics and so on.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with licensing in these cases and more to do with how the art is created.

It seems that for some cars things like the trim, stripes, emblems, etc. seem to be attached the original "template". ....unable to be altered in any way. In other words, they are one complete design rather than one that combines several elements like the paint, decals, emblems, etc. In those cases, if a player wants to change any aspect of these original designs, the game reverts to another, basic template folks can edit themselves.

All I know is this is why I don’t even mess with it. It sounds terribly complicated and unintuitive. Hell, even liking someone else’s created livery is over-complicated and unintuitive. It feels very lazy to me, my 2 cents.

Post evidence of this claim.
In GTS, I can buy a Dodge Challenger whenever I wanted. I get my pick of 21 OEM paint schemes, all of them come with high quality decals.

In GT7, I can't. I have to wait for it to show up in the LCD once every 2 months and pray that it's in the colour that I wanted. If not, I have to go through the livery editor and run into the issues that prompted the OP to make this thread in the first place.

It would make sense to post popular standard liveries in Showcase, so that other players can apply them to their own cars.
In fact, we could have a pinned thread on this forum to exchange standard liveries.

Back