Is there any hope for Porsches on future GT games?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JLawrence
  • 29 comments
  • 2,209 views
Messages
1,283
Messages
GTP_FreakinWolfy
I was doing some searching through the forum here about why Porsche isn't in the most prestigious racing game around and found this thread in which the legal situation with Electronic Arts was brought to light, and was wondering, is there any stipulation that will allow Polyphony to include Porsche down the road? Or is it an issue with Porsche themselves? I seem to recall some speculation about that being the crux of the matter.


Btw- I'm not posting this to open up a debate about the matter, just asking for an informed response to a question that I do not know the answer to
 
It is always possible for Porsche to be in future GT games. The obvious hurdle though, is EA whom Porsche have signed a contract with. A Porsche rep. has said that while the company may not solely agree with all of EA's decisions, but they a deal.

It all depends on what Polyphony is willing to spend/do to get them.
 
They will eventually but I doubt it will be within the next couple of years.
 
Why do you need Porsche anyway...?
If PD just added in modern RUF models that would do the trick as they are just high-performance Porsches! ;)
Although, that is not to imply a Porsche is not high-performance as is but the fact remains at least a few premium, modern RUFs would suffice until the contract between Porsche/EA lapses or is cancelled... 👍
Beautiful cars though! :D
 
I wouldnt mind a few new Ruf models, the CTR3 and Rt12 would be good additions. Make a RM for the Rt12 styled after the GTE car and all bases would be covered really.
 
I thought it was only a brandname problem. Thats is why they have them as RUF in the garage....
 
I thought it was only a brandname problem. Thats is why they have them as RUF in the garage....

No! RUF is a manufacturer in their own right! :)
Whilst they do use Porsche cars as their working base they are classified as a manufacturer because a lot of the additional parts are made by RUF. 👍
RUF cars are more-or-less just high-performance Porsches as they improve upon Porsches design in all areas of the cars, not just engine performance. ;)
Have a read if you want to know more;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruf_Automobile
 
So mush for lack of speculation...

And I would like Porsches, specifically the 918 LeMans, 356 Speedster Turbo, 959, and 911, because they are all four staples in racing and automotive history, and if you don't know about those cars you really should look them up.

RUFs are great cars, but they're just like Dauer in that its a cool idea, but you can't replace the original.

Anyways, back to the question, from what I understand, EA can sell usage rights to other game companies (Forza, NFS Shift, etc) but there was a disagreement beyond that bewteen PD and the Porsche company itself, I think stemming from an incident with Lamborghini back when GT3 came out.
 
Nope. After so many years w/o Porsche, I don't think we'll ever see that brand in the game.
 
Plenty of RUF .vs. Porsches if you know where to look :D

The bottom line is surely that PD could afford EA's prices for the Porsche licence... maybe they like the tradition of supporting RUF instead?

For years I wouldn't have heard of RUF if it wasn't for GTx!
 
I see PD as Japan 1st, Anywhere else - doesn't matter :D

I'd love to see the Porsche 930 LeMans and CanAm cars from the late 60's to mid 70's in the game.
 
I don't understand why they didn't just include some premium RUFs like some others have said.
 
I don't understand why they didn't just include some premium RUFs like some others have said.

+1 for some premium RUF's. 👍
 
906, 908, 917K, 917/30, 935, 956, 962

Your garage isn't complete without these legendary racecars.
 
I miss them all, but if I had to choose one it would definitely be the mighty 956 :drool:
S0-Les-25-ans-de-la-Porsche-64757.jpg


6.11 on the Nordschleife almost 30 years ago.
 
Why do you need Porsche anyway...?
For all of their cars that won at Le Mans.

Taken a little out of context there... But I do see your point! 👍
If you read, which I assume you did, the rest of the post I did say "Why do you need Porsche anyway...?" on the proviso that PD add in some premium RUFs. ;) But I do understand your view also, having premium RUFs won't bring the classic LM winning Porsches to the game and that is a shame because I don't see PD forking out the coin for a Porsche license when they can probably add in RUFs considerably cheaper... :)
 
It's all a conspiracy... If Porsche cars got into Gran Turismo then Polyphony Digital would take over the world. We must prevent this from happening.
 
Why do you need Porsche anyway...?
If PD just added in modern RUF models that would do the trick as they are just high-performance Porsches! ;)
Although, that is not to imply a Porsche is not high-performance as is but the fact remains at least a few premium, modern RUFs would suffice until the contract between Porsche/EA lapses or is cancelled... 👍
Beautiful cars though! :D

Because RUF didn't make the 917, 908 Longtail, 550 Spyder or the 956. :sly:
 
Because RUF didn't make the 917, 908 Longtail, 550 Spyder or the 956. :sly:


... Cars that are too awesome for lame 'ol PD to include anyway. I reckon that even if PD got the Porsche license, the only things we'd see are 911s and Caymans, and maybe a couple older ones like the 959.

The oldest Ferrari in GT5 is from 1976, (ok, the 330P4 is from 67, but I want more classic road cars dammit) and although the 512BB is special in its own way, it is not one of the greatest or well known Ferraris ever made. PD could have had access to a wealth of legendary cars like the 250 Testarossa, 250 SWB, Daytona, 250 GTO, 355, F50, 312PB, etc. Yet they didn't really do anything with the Ferrari license, relatively speaking.


I'm a cynical and jaded dude :lol:, and I would love to be proven wrong, but over the years I have never seen any evidence to suggest PD even cares about iconic Porsches.
 
Last edited:
I think that given that GT6 will probably be released closer to 2015 ...

(PS3 drivers and format already known, just beef up the content and graphics, more changes in physics, but not a total re-work)

And by then, Porsche would be stupid to not allow PD to use the Porsche brand. I know their hands are tied by EA, but it's getting down to where they cant afford not to...

If GT ever wants to incorporate FIA GT or ACO GT racing, they'll have to get around to it a some point, one way or another...

Also, it may help sales... sort of. This is PURE CONJECTURE but I am now much more interested in Super GT, now that i can watch it on GTTV. Also, someone mentioned the popularity of STi's and EVO's picking up in North America as a result of the game. Add that in with the growing popularity of international forms of motorsport in America (TWO ILMC races, possible WTCC, DTM is coming, F1 is coming back)... I forgot what my point was... but I do know the most popular car for sports car Racing is Porsche. Look at any ILMC, ALMS, Rolex, SCCA, Grand AM, ACO, anything- They all use Porsche. I know that EA will likley stick to their guns now that they compete with the GT series almost directly with Shift (In the eyes of the average user, obviously hardcore GT people may not think it's even on the same planet as GT) that may just be one thing they want to keep on their side... "Buy Shift 3, not GT6, we have Porsche".

Ranting aside, I think that if PD doesn't get the Porsche license, it will make it hard for them to expand into GTE-Class racing. And if Porsche has any say, they would be foolish not to let PD have it, as they sell quite a few copies of the game, compared to Shift and Forza.

In the end, i suppose its possible, but probably not likely if EA is still holding the leash. Or, if PD lets themselves be bought out by EA (Not likely) or if PD pays some sort of insane amount of money.
 
Off topic, but do you know when we can expect to see F1 back in the states? I personally would love to see them at VIR, cause it's such a gorgeous facility, and a dang blast to drive, but I dunno if it meets F1 regulations.

As I understand it, EA has the rights to allow for some Porsche usage on other games, hence Forza, but that some of this stems from an actual spat between PD and Porsche themselves, but I could be mistaken
 
Off topic, but do you know when we can expect to see F1 back in the states? I personally would love to see them at VIR, cause it's such a gorgeous facility, and a dang blast to drive, but I dunno if it meets F1 regulations.

As I understand it, EA has the rights to allow for some Porsche usage on other games, hence Forza, but that some of this stems from an actual spat between PD and Porsche themselves, but I could be mistaken

There was a hidden Porsche 911 in GT3, a non-RUF one. So it's possible that Porsche might not like that, although it's more likely that EA don't want PD to obtain Porsche.
 
Was there really? I heard they got heat for a Nomad Diablo, but I never knew about a Gt3 Porsche
 
People said we would never see Ferarri or Lamborghini in a GT game so anythings possible i guess
 
... Cars that are too awesome for lame 'ol PD to include anyway. I reckon that even if PD got the Porsche license, the only things we'd see are 911s and Caymans, and maybe a couple older ones like the 959.

The oldest Ferrari in GT5 is from 1976, (ok, the 330P4 is from 67, but I want more classic road cars dammit) and although the 512BB is special in its own way, it is not one of the greatest or well known Ferraris ever made. PD could have had access to a wealth of legendary cars like the 250 Testarossa, 250 SWB, Daytona, 250 GTO, 355, F50, 312PB, etc. Yet they didn't really do anything with the Ferrari license, relatively speaking.


I'm a cynical and jaded dude :lol:, and I would love to be proven wrong, but over the years I have never seen any evidence to suggest PD even cares about iconic Porsches.

I know what you mean, no 206 Dino? :( That's one of my favorites.
 
Off topic, but do you know when we can expect to see F1 back in the states? I personally would love to see them at VIR, cause it's such a gorgeous facility, and a dang blast to drive, but I dunno if it meets F1 regulations.

As I understand it, EA has the rights to allow for some Porsche usage on other games, hence Forza, but that some of this stems from an actual spat between PD and Porsche themselves, but I could be mistaken

Yup, the hidden Porsche in GT3 was rumoured to have angered Porsche greatly.

F1 returning to the US? How about the 2012 Austin GP? :D
 
Why do you need Porsche anyway...?

For the Carrera GT. :drool:
And the 911 Turbo S. :drool:
And the 911 GT3 RS. :drool:
And the Cayman R. :drool:
And the Boxster Spyder. :drool:
My keyboard is full of drool now. :drool:
 
All the reason I need.

SPAD_Porsche918RSR.jpg


As for whether there is any hope for Porsche in future GT games? There is always hope for Porsche. After all there were similar threads asking about Ferrari not so long ago.
 
Back