Is there any way to tame the Ford GT?

• Thread starter TunerFocus
  • 28 comments
TunerFocus / GTP_TunerFocus
OK, I loved this car on GT4 soooo much that I would drift with it during races & still get first place every time, so on GT5 Prologue the Ford GT was the third car that I purchased & it seems like it was a huge waste of money. This is the only car that i was forced to turn ASM on to drive it, I NEVER drive with ASM on, it takes the power away from the car when turning which kills lap times. So, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Now, firstly have you unlocked tuning? If so, try having some negative front toe, and positive rear toe. Maybe -0.1 - 0.15 front and +0.05 - 0.1 rear.
If it is your third car outright, i suspect you don't have tuning, but i also suspect you're not used to 550 raging horse going to your rear wheels on GT5P, this is NOT like GT4. Be more gentle with the car at first, feather the throttle when exiting a corner until you feel comfortable going full throttle. You'll soon learn when its safe to apply all the power.

Finally, i'd recommend removing the ASM, i bought the car before i could tune and found it to be an ok car, the tail steps out easy if you're not careful, but it's easy to keep in check in comparison to other cars.

Thank you, I will have to go & try that now, & yes I have unlocked tuning mode. I found the 230K Ferrari to be an easier car to drive, go figure.

The Ford GT is a wild beast that is hard to tame. If you check these forums you'll find some decent settings for it. Give them a try. :)

Every new GT that comes out - I rush out to buy the GT or GT40 if its available and everytime I can't keep it on the track until I have it set up just sweet.

Setup is everything on this beast - setup means speed or handling variations with most cars. With the GT it's the difference between life and death

try having some negative front toe, and positive rear toe.
I think this is pretty much the opposite to what I did with my Ford GT (LM) last night... although I was setting it up specifically for Daytona...

It oversteers horribly as you turn in to the banked corners, and even at low(ish) speeds it was almost impossible not to initiate a drift... looks great, but useless for racing! So I set a +ve front toe angle to reduce oversteer on turning in, opposite to how I have my Amuse/Opera 350Z set up for the same circuit... I set a + front toe and a - rear toe, and things improved alot. Additionally, I widened the gears a bit to allow me to take the corners in 4th, rather than 5th gear... since it doesn't seem to like cornering in 5th! It must have had some effect because I won the first Expert 750pp race that I was able to complete with it. Several other Ford GT LM's in the race were hitting the walls on the corners, probably because they were trying to take the corners at too high a speed. Keeping it steady at ~200 mph in 4th, with the toe angles adjusted to reduce oversteer when you turn in, seems to work a treat...

Do never lift your foot off the throttle, even a tiny bit, on a banked corner, in a ford GT - you will be instantly eviscerated.

Instead use the left foot to apply brake, whilst keeping that all important throttle pedal stuck firmly to the floor.

Reason being - lifting your foot off the throttle is how you steer a GT - the wheel is just there for decoration :sly:

I real life the gt40 hanbdles sweet - how can the car in the game suffer from terrible lift off oversteer in the game whilst cornering but is really stable under braking doing the same corner - it just doesn't make sense.

it needs fixing.

I real life the gt40 hanbdles sweet - how can the car in the game suffer from terrible lift off oversteer in the game whilst cornering but is really stable under braking doing the same corner - it just doesn't make sense.

it needs fixing.

Have you drove a Ford GT? Everyone you see driving the car on TV is most likely a good driver so it's not for us commoners to judge how easy a car is to drive.

I'm not saying you're wrong, i just want to know how you support your point.

wow, so no tunes for this car. I might just put in a couple of ideas myself.

Not from me, i personally hate using the fastest car in any given class so i havent tuned mine properly. Practice is the key with the GT, its never an easy car to drive although R2/R3 tire set up can help i've heard.

There is a way, take it easy on the throttle.

You're in the wrong thread, easy on the throttle isn't 'taming' the car thats taming your throttle thumb/finger/foot :lol:, these guys want the car easier to drive. No car can be driven round full throttle all the time if it an RWD, I assume everyone is here for an easier set up because theyre struggling to cope with this most difficult of cars.

Not trying to insight hate, but its belittling a little if these guys can't control a car and you assume its because theyre throttle happy.

You're in the wrong thread, easy on the throttle isn't 'taming' the car thats taming your throttle thumb/finger/foot :lol:, these guys want the car easier to drive. No car can be driven round full throttle all the time if it an RWD, I assume everyone is here for an easier set up because theyre struggling to cope with this most difficult of cars.

Not trying to insight hate, but its belittling a little if these guys can't control a car and you assume its because theyre throttle happy.

Like me :) Too used to GT4 and Standard drive :(

I just lift before turning into the corner. The GT is no cakewalk but it's manageable if you drive it correctly.

I just lift before turning into the corner. The GT is no cakewalk but it's manageable if you drive it correctly.

very true... lift before the corners and brake a little bit early. don't worry about falling behind, the ferocious acceleration will help you catch up...

what you don't want is understeer, and braking extra will help you avoid it.

i love the gt. i beat more events with it than all my other cars combined (i have about 15 others)

have you unlocked tuning? i might have more suggestions

I find the GT06 to be just about the perfect car with R1 tires. It pushes in low speed corners with sport tires but with R1 tires it's just awesome. In stock trim it's got a slight high speed push but that's easy to fix with slightly stiffer rear springs. This car rotates through any corner perfectly by just modulating the throttle.

I never really got how you use the throttle to steer. True, modulating it helps, but you still need the steering wheel... right?

I never really got how you use the throttle to steer. True, modulating it helps, but you still need the steering wheel... right?

Yeah of course,just use the throttle to help bring the back end back under control or slide it a little.

To the original poster - make sure you're working with Spec III, otherwise you're in an uphill battle with the GT06, especially if you're using DS3/Sixaxis. Also, the stickier the tires, the more you multiply the shortcomings of a MR car - namely, throttle-lift-oversteer. Try using S1 with the car and learn its characteristics. You could also go the opposite route and go to the Manufacturer Ford event with R3s. Master that car on that track and throttle-lift-oversteer will be in your control forever (on the game).

Use the wheel to steer the front. Use the throttle to "steer" the rear. ;)

Ok, problem. When you set up the car to handle better, it becomes much slower.
Best way to cope with the oversteer problem is putting for example R1's on the front and R2's on the rear. Toe in/out and all that stuff didn't work at all.
But, the thing is, at Suzuka 750PP the fastest GT's are clocking 1.57.xx! Best I can do with my tuned Corvette is 1.59... I smell another cheat tune like the Subaru or the Clio.

Does anybody know anything about this specific GT setup?

I despise the GT. Whatever i drive i have managed to make it easy enough to drive whilst still being on the edge. Things like the F40 and the 599 ferrari yet the GT06 is hell on four wheels. No matter how much i practice i still can't get it running well for me. I really don't like MR layouts though. Much more of a FR or AWD kinda guy.

Hi, I've tune my GT LM into an "drift impossible" machine, but it always understeer which made me get out the corner with slower speed! I'm just a rokie on tuning grip cars! Can anyone show me an all-round tuning which can run nicely on both p750 and p800?

Back