Is there anyway to get the PS3 to play GT4?

as title says, after having played GT5 for a few days now i am missing the shear playability of GT4 (even with all its flaws) over 5, but my PS2 has finally given up the ghost and don't want to fork out for another 2nd hand PS2.

so, is it possible to get PS3 slim to play GT4??? :nervous:

PS3 should play most PS2 era games, unless it's a pirate copy. Just put in the disk and it should work as usual but you may need a memory card adapter thing to load from an 8mb PS2 memory card. (Just kind of assuming that last part)

PS3 should play most PS2 era games
This is not correct. As far as I know, PS3 slims are not backward compatible and cannot play PS2 games. The original (fat) PS3 was able to play most PS2 games (although not all, and often not perfectly - GT4 being a case in point), but backward compatibility was removed in the newer models.

By the way, I found playing GT4 on the original PS3 to be less than brilliant (before it died, R.I.PS3 :) ), and hence I only play it on my PS2. PS2s are dirt cheap these days, so that might be the best thing to do if you want to continue playing GT4...

Last edited:
I had to resort to playing GT4 on my old fat PS2 because my launch fat PS3 YLODed on me yesterday.

somehow all my game saves are gone on the memory card so I'm starting all over again. :irked:
yeah, not really having a stellar gaming week...

anyway, when I popped the disc in the PS2, it wouldn't read. it read GT3 fine but not GT4.

I took it apart and cleaned the lens. it works fine now.
while I was in there I did some light cleaning inside and got some of the dust out too.

now the unit is working like a champ.

anyway, not sure what you meant by your PS2 giving up it's ghost but if it's a case of not reading the disc or something, and you are jonsing to play, try taking it apart and giving it a good once over.
might bring your PS2 back to life.

if you don't know how, search youtube. bunch of videos on there regarding PS2 repairs.

This is not correct. As far as I know, PS3 slims are not backward compatible and cannot play PS2 games. The original (fat) PS3 was able to play most PS2 games

Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to the fat PS3. (Was drunk when posting hence missing the 'slim' bit.)

I really want to play this game. I have ps 3 slim. Will IT work? Or do i need to buy PS2 and also this adapter thing to play IT om HD TV?

I really want to play this game. I have ps 3 slim. Will IT work? Or do i need to buy PS2 and also this adapter thing to play IT om HD TV?
As stated above, the only model PS3 that's backwards compatible with PS2 disks is the original model. A PS2 or an emulator would be your best bet.

after som research I found out only ps 3 20gb and 60 gb can play 90% of ps 2 games, and the 80 gb can play 80%. I also asked my friend that have a early generation ps 3 and he said it doesnt work....I also have t300 so optimum is to play gran turismo 4 on ps 4 so I also can use a wheel. What to do?

The PS4 won't play Gran Turismo 4. Never Ever.

Your best bet would be to do the same thing that i did: just get yourself a 60GB PS3 (or any other backwards compatible PS3) and spare yourself all the fiddling with adapters to get the game running on a modern HD TV. Just plug the HDMI cable in and you are done! Even though you'll read a lot of contrary stuff, i'd say that GT4 plays and looks good on a PS3 (besides some flickering in the upper left corner, which can be ignored).

I know these early PS3s are somehow infamous because of their reliability, but i use mine strictly for PS2 games and therefore it won't use all of its power... so it never gets really hot and loud either. Just have that in mind, when you are planning to buy one and come across another horror story ;)

One more thing: loading times are practically non existent on the PS3 (compared to the original PS2) :)

Last edited:
I think you can get it to play on a regular PS3 with custom firmware but I'm not sure how well the game would play since I never tried GT4 on my super slim. Either way you can check the PS3's PS2 emulator compatibility list https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List the game is supposed to be playable with "minor issues". Also seems to be playable on PS4 as well https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List but again with custom firmware I believe.

PS2 is dirt cheap these days, just pick up a 5000x (most reliable fat) or 7700x (most reliable slim, absolutely avoid the 7000x though) - I got one for £40 after my PS3 (CECHC03) broke down after just a few months.

Fat PS3 isn’t worth it at all - they’re horribly unreliable unless you wanted one to de-ice your freezer or something given how much heat the thing makes.

Getting a used PS2 is the best way to go for sure, games will have no pressure sensitive buttons on PS3 and that's essential for racing games, also for whatever reason PS2 racing games on PS3 tend to run poorly, tried WRC evo and it was a slideshow, Richard Burns Rally was very playable but cockpit view only, 3rd person had significant frame drops.

Probably, because the fat PS3 was the first of its kind and it wasn't fully optimized to be an emulator for the PS2 way back then. If GT4 was only offered in the PS Store like some other PS2 classics, maybe it would have been great.

Probably, because the fat PS3 was the first of its kind and it wasn't fully optimized to be an emulator for the PS2 way back then. If GT4 was only offered in the PS Store like some other PS2 classics, maybe it would have been great.
The CECHA (which never got a UK model due to ‘delays’ in Europe), plays more games reliably than the CECHC model fat PS3 (since the CECHC only does hardware GPU emulation, the CECHA does hardware CPU/GPU, explaining why it cost so much at launch). Either way fat PS3s are horrendously unreliable due to the godawful cooling and overall heat they seem to generate, they’re like the Allegro of consoles for that regard... :/

games will have no pressure sensitive buttons on PS3 and that's essential for racing games

The PS3 fully supports pressure sensitive buttons, including in PS2 games. MGS2 for example relies on them enough that the 360 and Vita ports of it needed a slightly different control scheme, but the PS3 port (and emulated PS2 version) retained the original pressure-sensitive controls.

The CECHA (which never got a UK model due to ‘delays’ in Europe), plays more games reliably than the CECHC model fat PS3 (since the CECHC only does hardware GPU emulation, the CECHA does hardware CPU/GPU, explaining why it cost so much at launch). Either way fat PS3s are horrendously unreliable due to the godawful cooling and overall heat they seem to generate, they’re like the Allegro of consoles for that regard... :/
And not to mention that it's old, heavy and takes a lot of space. Besides, who still plays PS2 games nowadays? I still love some of its old games though but only a few of them are offered in PS Store or some dedicated CDs available for PS3, like GTA: SA. And then for those who are really keen playing them without buying the console, there's a way to play them in PC by getting an emulator and the file of the games but that's their choice.

And not to mention that it's old, heavy and takes a lot of space. Besides, who still plays PS2 games nowadays? I still love some of its old games though but only a few of them are offered in PS Store or some dedicated CDs available for PS3, like GTA: SA. And then for those who are really keen playing them without buying the console, there's a way to play them in PC by getting an emulator and the file of the games but that's their choice.
An actual PS2 is still a worthy investment providing you get an RGB SCART cable and make sure it isn't one that's had previous issues...

An actual PS2 is still a worthy investment providing you get an RGB SCART cable and make sure it isn't one that's had previous issues...
If only it had HDMI, then it would have made things a lot easier. Technology is moving forward and becoming advanced nowadays.

If only it had HDMI, then it would have made things a lot easier. Technology is moving forward and becoming advanced nowadays.
Simple solution is to buy an upscaler, even if they could cause noise :/

Luckily I have an older LCD TV which has SCART and HDMI... it's easier to go through a SCART if you're playing PS1 too, as a lot of TVs don't seem to hande 288i through either component or HDMI yet can through a SCART or composite cable.

Alternatively if you do play PS1 games and have to use a component or HDMI input get FMCB/FHDB and force using GS mode selector the resolution of PS1 games to 480i/576i. This worked fine for both GT1 and 2 PAL, though 0.38 (the last time I tried it it was that version) needed a manual screen offset :P

Simple solution is to buy an upscaler, even if they could cause noise :/

Luckily I have an older LCD TV which has SCART and HDMI... it's easier to go through a SCART if you're playing PS1 too, as a lot of TVs don't seem to hande 288i through either component or HDMI yet can through a SCART or composite cable.

Alternatively if you do play PS1 games and have to use a component or HDMI input get FMCB/FHDB and force using GS mode selector the resolution of PS1 games to 480i/576i. This worked fine for both GT1 and 2 PAL, though 0.38 (the last time I tried it it was that version) needed a manual screen offset :P
Too bad it's still old and outdated though. That's why some of the classic games for the console have been ported to Android and some offered in the PS Store. So people could still enjoy playing them.

The PS4 won't play Gran Turismo 4. Never Ever.

Your best bet would be to do the same thing that i did: just get yourself a 60GB PS3 (or any other backwards compatible PS3) and spare yourself all the fiddling with adapters to get the game running on a modern HD TV. Just plug the HDMI cable in and you are done! Even though you'll read a lot of contrary stuff, i'd say that GT4 plays and looks good on a PS3 (besides some flickering in the upper left corner, which can be ignored).

I know these early PS3s are somehow infamous because of their reliability, but i use mine strictly for PS2 games and therefore it won't use all of its power... so it never gets really hot and loud either. Just have that in mind, when you are planning to buy one and come across another horror story ;)

One more thing: loading times are practically non existent on the PS3 (compared to the original PS2) :)
Hi all

Currently I have:
- Logitech G25 wheel/pedals/shifter and it works great for my PS3 GT6/GT5.
- Thrustmaster T500RS wheel/pedals and TH8A shifter, and it works great for my PS4 GT Sport and my PS3 GT6/GT5

Since I never had a PS2 and GT4, I want to now buy a PS3 USA NTSC 60GB Fat model, and buy GT4 USA NTSC, to play in 1080i via HDMI.

My questions: do you know if GT4 running on the PS3 original 60GB fat model would either:

- recognize successfully the Thrustmaster T500RS wheel/pedals/shifter ?

- recognize successfully the Logitech G25 wheel/pedals/shifter ?

Sorry, but i can't help you. I'm playing GT4 on a BC 60GB PS3 but i'm using the (super twitchy) DS3 controller. You need to get accustomed to it, but after that it offers a lot of feedback and works perfectly fine. Currently at 54 Licence Golds, 3 Driving Missions still pending and at 53.000 ASpec points, so it can be done with it.

PS2 slim with component video cable and the following device (available on Amazon) and you will have an HDMI output - work perfectly for me

Portta VGA and YPbPr Component + R/L Audio to HDMI Converter v1.3

I'm getting horrible input lag from the controller playing GT4 on my Fat (original) PS3. Does anyone know the solution?
Also, when i change the setting from analog to digital it keeps reverting back to analog. I kept my fat ps3 just to play ps1 and ps2 games, but now with input lag for GT4 its like im better off with a PS2. I have two ps2 laying around anyways.

ended up ditching my fat ps3 and modding a slim ps3 and installed GT4 through pkg that comes with an update so there isnt any lag. Now the only problem is converting my saves from .VM2 to .VME so it can work. Otherwise im starting over... hell nah!

I purchased a "re-balled" fat (original) PS3 for playing GT4. I recall some sort of odd graphics glitch at some point in the game. I returned it and decided to go with a new PS2 slim.

Using a "Component to HDMI, YPbPr to HDMI Converter, Koopman" device to convert the PS2 component video output to HDMI and it has been working flawlessly.

Last edited:
Back