Is there really much of a strategy in which automaker you sign with?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 19 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
IIRC there's a little blurb in one of the more recent official statements - I think it was letting everyone know that they'll be sticking with an automaker that they sign with until the end of the 2018 FIA season - that implied that there's a strategy of sorts with what automaker you pick for the manufacturer's championship. Here are the potential factors I could think of that could entail a strategy for picking automakers:

-Which automakers are generally popular? I'd imagine that the more popular an automaker is, the more people are gonna sign with 'em, and therefore, the competition would be stiffer. I'm thinking stuff like Nissan, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Toyota, and Porsche, for examples. Whereas if you sign with an underrated automaker, where less people are likely to sign with them, it could mean less competition...

-Which automakers have more cars in each group? I don't know if this is truly a factor, but I'm wondering if it means much when an automaker has a car in a large variety of groups (e.g. Nissan has Gr.1/Gr.2/Gr.3/Gr.4/Gr.B/N600/N300) versus one that may just have a car in a smaller among of groups. (E.g. Alpine only has Gr.1/N300/N100 at the moment.) I wonder if picking an automaker that potentially has a car for a wider variety of groups could be better here? Like, if there are manufacturer's events where you'd need a certain group of car, you could be at an advantage if you've signed with an automaker that has an eligible car from that group, while others that don't would have to sit that particular event out.

Which automakers have more cars in each group? I don't know if this is truly a factor, but I'm wondering if it means much when an automaker has a car in a large variety of groups (e.g. Nissan has Gr.1/Gr.2/Gr.3/Gr.4/Gr.B/N600/N300) versus one that may just have a car in a smaller among of groups. (E.g. Alpine only has Gr.1/N300/N100 at the moment.) I wonder if picking an automaker that potentially has a car for a wider variety of groups could be better here? Like, if there are manufacturer's events where you'd need a certain group of car, you could be at an advantage if you've signed with an automaker that has an eligible car from that group, while others that don't would have to sit that particular event out.

What?

Signing with a manufacturer is limited to car makers with Gr3 and Gr4 cars only. This means you must drive their Gr3 or Gr4 car when entering the manufacturer series. No other cars have ever been included in the contract.

That contract has no bearing on the Nations Cup so you drive what ever you want.

Further more, any Nx00 races have always been limited to the nations cup and they are always one make events.

My strategy is simply to choose which manufacturer fits my driving style. BoP is going to change mid-season anyway, but at its core doesn't really change- only its pace. For that reason I chose Lexus

Car popularity is also a thing, but certain car manufacturers are more popular than others for a reason. It's a really thin line to tread on if you're going to strategize according to this train of thought, so I didn't consider it at all

It only matters if you are good enough to potentially make the regional finals.

There are tactics as the places available for regional finals are limited based on country, or manufacteurer. There is a limit to the number of players that will be at the finals from the same country for example, or a limit to the number of drivers using the same manufacturer.

Hence, a top driver may not want to go for a really popular car brand, as it will be tough competition to be amongst those available slots for that car brand.

Another thing, is that because your car brand pick is for the rest of 2018, you may not want to go for the fastest car right now, because BOP changes could nerf it. And it may be good now, but not good by Season 2 or 3.

What?

Signing with a manufacturer is limited to car makers with Gr3 and Gr4 cars only. This means you must drive their Gr3 or Gr4 car when entering the manufacturer series. No other cars have ever been included in the contract.

That contract has no bearing on the Nations Cup so you drive what ever you want.

Further more, any Nx00 races have always been limited to the nations cup and they are always one make events.

Huh, TIL. Thanks! Yeah, I had the idea that the automaker contract was irrelevant to the nations cup, but I was a bit curious. Very interesting!

My strategy is to just go with a manufacturer who's cars I don't have already. It's free cars, and my pace is roughly the same regardless of what I drive. Might as well take the opportunity to try out something I don't have. I'll be going with either Jag or Aston Martin as I do not have either of their gr3 or 4 cars.

Would not recommend signing with Jaguar for the year, unless you're regularly hitting top 10, that is :)

Why? Are they just really popular for some reason? Is there something special going on with them IRL at the moment that's making them a lot more popular in GT Sport?

Why? Are they just really popular for some reason? Is there something special going on with them IRL at the moment that's making them a lot more popular in GT Sport?

Because they're not very good.
Most people want to have good competition, if the car you're using is just bad - it might mean you don't want to race as much.

Not that I'm aware of, I just meant that the Gr.3 F-Type is really sluggish and it doesn't really shine anywhere apart from perhaps being pretty easy to drive - but you could say the same of the AMG, Mustang, Aston and Corvette - and they're all far faster.

The caveat was that picking Jag could be a good choice if you're right up there with the best of them, because it's doubtful many others will have chosen it, but if you're not right up there (myself very much included in this!), it's far better to just pick a car/brand that you're comfortable driving rather than trying to "play the game", I went with Ferrari.

Because they're not very good.
Damn, got in there first :) but yeah exactly.

I have had 3 manufacturers that have given me constant wins in both Gr3 and 4 during the test seasons. So my strategy was based upon which of them i had set my most personal lap records with and which was most ecconomical. Both answers were Honda.

I would suppose going with the one that has better cars is smarter. Example picking the manu that offers the slower less powerfull, worse handling cars puts you at a disadvantage.
Going with the manu who's cars you don't have helps you collect more cars alot quicker
Going with the manu who's has the most cars taylored towards what you like to do most or the handling characteristics you prefer helps you be better setup quicker for what you plan to do. Example choosing a manu with mostly rwd cars, helps you collect a better selection of drift cars quicker
Going with a manu with crappy cars, helps you learn to race at a disadvantage and read and exploit the mistakes of the other drivers better.
Ect,..ect

I ran with Mazda because I'm comfortable with their cars. Also Audi, and the R8 wasn't as bad as expected. I chose Jaguar since I had none of their cars. I found out I do not like Jags. I might choose Alfa since I love the Gr.4 and just got the Gr.3 in the prize wheel, so I can do some practice.

My strategy was well thought out and totally not superficial at all: I went with the car whose livery I liked the most and worked the hardest on:

MchCwll.jpg

Yep I'm going to get slaughtered but at least I'll look good in the sand traps :lol:

My "strategy" is going with the same brand I drive in real life. Gives me that connection/feeling I'm really representing Honda.

Just think if you were in this position.
I want to sign with Porsche even though I've worked for Ford for 20 years building their cars plus my times are faster in both Mustangs. But I'm more consistent in the Porsche overall and my job is not paying me to race for Ford in the game and they wouldn't even care even if I was good enough to win it all. I'm not good enough of course.

I know it's just a stupid game but I still feel some since of responsibility to be brand loyal. Is that just crazy or what because I sure feel crazy at the moment.

Just think if you were in this position.
I want to sign with Porsche even though I've worked for Ford for 20 years building their cars plus my times are faster in both Mustangs. But I'm more consistent in the Porsche overall and my job is not paying me to race for Ford in the game and they wouldn't even care even if I was good enough to win it all. I'm not good enough of course.

I know it's just a stupid game but I still feel some since of responsibility to be brand loyal. Is that just crazy or what because I sure feel crazy at the moment.
Well, it can also come down to what's offered to you as a racer. Chaz Mostert is a Ford Supercars driver. He's a co-driver in a Focus production race car and also races BMWs outside of the VASC series. I guess if Ford ran cars in GT3, maybe a team would approach him.

In GTS, we have to pretend. If PD gave us limited options, that's one thing. Instead, we're given free rein to choose. So, if Ford don't make an LMP1 car and Porsche came knocking on your door, you'd take the drive. Same as Fernando Alfonso getting that Le Mans win in a Toyota.

You're not crazy. Maybe I am, for posting a response. :lol:

Well, it can also come down to what's offered to you as a racer. Chaz Mostert is a Ford Supercars driver. He's a co-driver in a Focus production race car and also races BMWs outside of the VASC series. I guess if Ford ran cars in GT3, maybe a team would approach him.

In GTS, we have to pretend. If PD gave us limited options, that's one thing. Instead, we're given free rein to choose. So, if Ford don't make an LMP1 car and Porsche came knocking on your door, you'd take the drive. Same as Fernando Alfonso getting that Le Mans win in a Toyota.

You're not crazy. Maybe I am, for posting a response. :lol:

Makes since and never looked at it from that perspective. Cool I'm going with Porsche :cheers:

Back