Is there room for GT2? (GTLM etc.)

• Thread starter TheElbows
  • 3 comments
United States
United States
I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts and general GT news lately and I've been wondering a couple of things.

1) Is there room in the market for a GT2 higher performance level of the currently successful GT3, GT4, etc.

2) Is GTE/GTLM still necessary or is it just a silly arbitrary class because the ACO continues to stick its fingers in its ears and ignore other racing series?

3) If GTE/GTLM was killed (as manufacturer interest seems to be waning with the potential end of Ford and BMW's programmes) would manufacturers fill the void with a potential factory-aimed GT3+ (i.e. a GT2 class but based on a up-tuned GT3 platform vehicle?)

4) Where will GTE/GTLM end up when HyperCar potentially comes into existence? I had heard from a couple of sources that the ACO had approached all of the major GTLM/GTE manufacturers and asked them to consider stepping up to HyperCar (an odd request which would gut the entire GTE field overnight?)

I realize that GT3 hits an excellent spot in the market, being affordable, nicely BOP'ed, competitive, useful across the globe, etc. It seems to be that GTE numbers are shockingly small by comparison (having heard the Audi and Mercedes customer motorsports representatives both claiming in excess of 150+ GT3 cars sold each, etc.). We've seen GT3 cars can handle endurance races fine, so slotting into LeMans would be cake. Is it logical for the ACO to fold and just adopt GT3, or will they continue to stick to their own 'bespoke' series?

I'm sure I'm missing loads of information, but it's just been stewing in my mind. Will ACO finally give in and go GT3, and if they did...does GTLM last, or could it be replaced by a more wide-spread common architecture series like a potential GT3+ or proper GT2 (allowing the manufacturers to maintain their separate and dominant class - wouldn't want them messing around with the peasants!)

Thoughts?

1) From what I understand after a short catch-up in sports car racing (I didn't follow the sport for well over 10 years beyond occasionally checking who won Le Mans), GT3 is THE sports car category if we forget about prototypes. GT4 is a nice complementing class with cars closer to production models and more Am focused. From what I understand, GT2 is aimed at Am/gentle(wo)man drivers only, also close to production, maybe even closer than GT4 - but with power output higher than GTE/GT3 thus having a nice incentive to those with money. I'm really curious about the lap times at Spa how GT2 compares to GT3, GT4 and of course, GTE.

2) While I like different categories and variety in general, I don't feel strong for GTE/GTLM. Sure, it gave us a mid-engined 911 but otherwise I'd rather see GT3 Vettes, Ford GTs or M8. It's clearly a playground for the manufacturers, rather than anything else. Browsing the WEC qualifying results it seems so that the Pro and Am classes - that run the same type of car as far as I understand - are clearly separated by virtue of the drivers and we can see the same in the SRO-sanctioned events. I'd like to see more convergence here to be honest in favor of GT3. Of course, as I listened to some of the podcasts, I understand that Stephane Ratel may not share the same views though.

3) As above, I personally would rather have GT3, no GT3+. As a manufacturer playground I'd allow that a new car would only be run by a manufacturer for a year before opening it up for customers. GT3+ per se would be in my mind the same as GTE. GTE is ultimately based on GT3 with more freedom, so we would be at the same place more or less.

4) It seems that ACO hasn't decided yet about the full specs and as such we have no idea about the performance difference between CarCar/Hypercar and GTE. I'd assume it's gonna be smaller than LMP1H-GTE but who knows.

As I said before, I'd personally vote for GT3 and having a year of manufacturer's exclusivity rather than a separate category, no matter what we would call it - again, based on performance and lap times, Pro/Am or Am cars are no match for full pro lineups with platinum drivers, thus manufacturers would have - and do have right now - a clear advantage.

Last edited:
I forgot that there is technically a GT2 in existence right now. That was my mistake, I guess I was more curious if the ACO will ever adopt a proper international formula that isn't beholden to them. A level just above GT3 (if there is a market to support it). I agree I'm fine with GT3 cars, but I feel if the factories or manufacturers want to have a class to themselves (a shame), I wonder if it would work.

GTE is just so far behind GT3 in terms of manufacturers and produced vehicles, etc. But...it's ACO and they simply refuse to play well with others. I wonder if losing manufacturer support in P1 and the lack of enthusiasm thus far for Hypercar (oddly silent the past 4-5 weeks) is a threat to them.

ACO being ACO is certainly the problem here. Whether the manufacturers want to have their own class, I don't know, I'm not involved with any of them or in any motorsports for that matter (beyond working for a company that is one of McLaren's F1 sponsors) :) As I said, I do like the GT3 variety as a fan/viewer but I'm pretty sure the decision makers don't necessarily agree with me :)

As far as hypercar goes, just managed to listen to last week's Midweek Motorsports and Mr. Hindhaugh was quite confident in saying that as it stands, the class may not come before 2021 and that's the earliest. We'll see whether there would be any announcements at Sebring next week.

Just coming back to GTE, it at least lasts longer than GT1 back at the end of the '90s and early 2000 - there was a big surge than it suddenly died for various reasons. Gotta say, while I'm said I missed out seeing the Audi LMP1s, the Pug 908 and the 919 in real life, I'm glad I did see those GT1s in person racing with the Vipers in the GT2 back in '99.

Let's hope ACO, FIA and the manufacturers come to their senses for the sake of GT racing.

(and again, I'm really looking forward to the Spa 24h weekend to see what kind of lap times the 911 GT2 RS will do compared to the GT3, GT4 and GTE results)

Latest Posts

Back