Is there something we don't know of Standard cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IMZIZ
  • 6 comments
  • 1,144 views
Messages
121
United States
Las Vegas, NV
Messages
IMZIZ
I happened to be goofing off (as usual), looking for ways to spend the small amount of cash I had amassed recently in the UCD. I have a tendency to overlook any car that isn't pre-1990 in there, but for reasons unknown I decided to pause and have a look at the Citroen Xsara VTR.

As it rotated around in the display, something caught me as odd - the steering wheel happens to have some lines on it. I decided to buy it and take a drive to see if it shows up on the track as well. In fact it does.

I did a bit of Google searching to see if there was an interior shot of the real car, and I can't really find anything that has the same steering wheel on it, so I don't know if this is some kind of a fluke, or if it is intentionally modeled this way. It seems odd that it should have the stripes, as this would indicate a texture mapping performed on the interior of the car... which shouldn't make sense for a Standard car.

I've included a couple of pictures to show what I am talking about. I guess I'm just wondering if there is any logical explanation for these stripes on the steering wheel beyond the obvious one (texture, as stated). Why, though, is a mystery to me. Additionally, on the second picture, one can clearly make out the shape of the dashboard, and what appears to be perhaps a vent in the most distant position of the dashboard in the same shot. The sharper-eyed among us may also notice the fact that the rear view mirror is a 3D object within the car as well. The first shot also shows the Rear defrost lines. It's not photo trickery - it stops where the car stops, so I have to figure it's part of the rear window.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? The car is an '03 model. Perhaps cars modeled for GT4 (which I presume this was) started to have interior modeling done? I wonder how many standards have some form of completed interior.

And please - before someone grumpy shows up in this thread, I am not here to beg for updates to see the interior of standards. I don't expect that they are ready for release (resolution may not be that great, for example). I also don't encourage people to come in here and start making crazy 'I hope...' or 'I wish PD would...' statements in here. I simply find it interesting and wonder if anyone has either noticed the same on other cars, or perhaps has any other explanation for what I see in these pictures.

That said, here's what I saw:
picture.php


picture.php
 
I've noticed this on other standards as well..I think it has to do w/ their being rudimentary interiors included just so the driver(also included w/ all standards) doesn't look like he's floating in space or something....
 
Well, all Standard cars, or rather all cars have the "same" driver models, a lot of the Standard cars also have visible interior parts, including steering wheels (you can see a lot of the interior in the VW Nardo for example). But all these details (except the driver models) were already visible in GT4 and even 3, it just wasn't that easy to spot because only the high-LOD models from the phototravel mode had it and the glass was much darker.
 
Interesting, though I have the feeling that it's a universal model used for many standards and not specific to the car model
 
Interesting, though I have the feeling that it's a universal model used for many standards and not specific to the car model

While I hear you - it leads me to wonder why I don't see the stripes on other cars. This is different from the others.

Additionally, I have noticed that there are different shapes for seats (you can see the shapes from certain low camera angles.

It seems that they may be specific to the car on some models.

The statement from G.T.Ace seems to indicate that it's nothing new... guess I just never noticed it under GT4 (except in the obvious convertibles). I just find it interesting that they have done this level of work on some of the older cars. I really didn't know that was true of the hardtop models.
 
Back