Is this game for me?

• Thread starter XxInNOutxX
  • 16 comments
Singapore
Singapore
Hello! AC is 50% off on Steam now and I'm on the fence on purchasing this game. The only racing game experience I have is GT2, Forza 1, GRID, Dirt 3 (all on controller). I'm aware of the stunning graphics and physics engine in the game and have read reviews and views on various forums, but just can't wrap my head around buying it for fear that I wouldn't touch it in the long run or am just too noob (lack of a better word) around this racing sim! CONVINCE ME GTPLANET!!! (or otherwise!)

Do you have any sort of wheel currently? There's an option in game to use the Xbox360 controller but I can't imagine playing this game with anything other than a wheel.

It's a pretty big jump from games like those you listed to Assetto Corsa.

First thing you might want to do, download RaceRoom Racing Experience.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

It's "free" to play, which really means that you get a little bit of content to play, and the rest you pay through the nose for. But it does give you a chance to try a relatively modern simulation type game to see what it feels like to you.

Assetto Corsa is probably even stronger on the simulation type than RRRE is, but at least RRRE is in the right ball park.

If you have friends that can lend you either a PS3 and a copy of Gran Turismo, an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza or an Xbox 1 and a copy of Forza then that would be a good thing to try too. Forza 5 is a long, long way from Forza 1.

If you enjoy that, then maybe you could look at getting AC, or you might want to pick up some of the older sim titles first. GT Legends, GTR2, Race '07 and all it's endless addon packs can all be found pretty cheaply. Graphically they're OK, not great, but they're still decent simulation games. F1 2010 through 2013 if you like Formula 1.

I wouldn't rush into getting Assetto Corsa. It's still being developed, and it's bound to be cheap again soon. If you haven't got a wheel, make sure you've at least got a good gamepad to play with. Assetto Corsa is also a bit light on gameplay at the moment, so I'd recommend something like Gran Turismo or Forza or even Grid: Autosport as a good place to start before moving on to Assetto Corsa.

If you've got a wheel, and you've got a good amount of experience driving a real car quickly, then maybe jump straight into AC. Otherwise, I'd say build up to it, you'll have more fun that way.

It's a pretty big jump from games like those you listed to Assetto Corsa.

First thing you might want to do, download RaceRoom Racing Experience.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

It's "free" to play, which really means that you get a little bit of content to play, and the rest you pay through the nose for. But it does give you a chance to try a relatively modern simulation type game to see what it feels like to you.

Assetto Corsa is probably even stronger on the simulation type than RRRE is, but at least RRRE is in the right ball park.

If you have friends that can lend you either a PS3 and a copy of Gran Turismo, an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza or an Xbox 1 and a copy of Forza then that would be a good thing to try too. Forza 5 is a long, long way from Forza 1.

If you enjoy that, then maybe you could look at getting AC, or you might want to pick up some of the older sim titles first. GT Legends, GTR2, Race '07 and all it's endless addon packs can all be found pretty cheaply. Graphically they're OK, not great, but they're still decent simulation games. F1 2010 through 2013 if you like Formula 1.

I wouldn't rush into getting Assetto Corsa. It's still being developed, and it's bound to be cheap again soon. If you haven't got a wheel, make sure you've at least got a good gamepad to play with. Assetto Corsa is also a bit light on gameplay at the moment, so I'd recommend something like Gran Turismo or Forza or even Grid: Autosport as a good place to start before moving on to Assetto Corsa.

If you've got a wheel, and you've got a good amount of experience driving a real car quickly, then maybe jump straight into AC. Otherwise, I'd say build up to it, you'll have more fun that way.

Thanks for the reply! I can see myself getting GRID Autosport, looking at the previews and stuff codies seemed to have listened to us and gave back cockpit view, among other things. I'll heed your advice and sit this one out, can see myself frustrated at the game if im too impatient to learn! :x

Like at @Imari said, some other experience with a sim racing game will help you a lot! Race 07 is only $1.99 on Steam until the 30th so pick it up. It's a great game and I still play it.

Last edited:
Like at @Imari said, some other experience with a sim racing game will help you a lot! Race 07 is only $1.99 on Steam until the 30th so pick it up. It's a great game and I still play it.
All right i'll check that game out. Do I have to download any specific mods to improve the experience or are the mechanics good from the get go?

I play the game un-modded. It's a great example of what a racing sim should be and is, in my opinion. I have all of the DLC packs and I don't regret it one bit. You can probably buy the whole game for around $16 because of the steam sale.

Just be careful because a lot of the packs include parts of other add ons and exclude others.

The base game comes with the whole WTCC roster from 2007 and 2008(or was it 2006 and 2007?). It also comes with Radicals, Caterham's, Mini touring cars, Swedish touring cars, an off brand of F1 car called a "Formula RaceRoom", Formula BMW's, and many, many, others.

I enjoy the GT race cars the most because of the Corvette C6R's. They have a bizarre amount of tracks too including the Nurburgring 24 hour.

The game also doesn't require a monster PC to run because it was released in 2007.

It's a great game to get into PC Sim racing and it's how I got into it so you should really give it a shot.

I play the game un-modded. It's a great example of what a racing sim should be and is, in my opinion. I have all of the DLC packs and I don't regret it one bit. You can probably buy the whole game for around $16 because of the steam sale.

Just be careful because a lot of the packs include parts of other add ons and exclude others.

The base game comes with the whole WTCC roster from 2007 and 2008(or was it 2006 and 2007?). It also comes with Radicals, Caterham's, Mini touring cars, Swedish touring cars, an off brand of F1 car called a "Formula RaceRoom", Formula BMW's, and many, many, others.

I enjoy the GT race cars the most because of the Corvette C6R's. They have a bizarre amount of tracks too including the Nurburgring 24 hour.

The game also doesn't require a monster PC to run because it was released in 2007.

It's a great game to get into PC Sim racing and it's how I got into it so you should really give it a shot.

Wow they have LOADS of DLC! Which are the more important ones? Im certainly not getting the simbin mega bundle because they have unnecessary games in it.

Alright I have Race Injection and GTR Evo in the cart right now. Is STCC and WTCC absolutely necessary?

Im aware this topic may go off-topic because this doesnt look like an AC thread anymore! Mods do move this thread if you deem it necessary thanks!

Last edited:
Like @KingPing said, GTR EVO is the most important one for me simply because of the Nordscheife. The STCC and WTCC packs are there if you want them. Remember, you can always go back and buy them if you find the game lacking cars. If you're interested in street cars you should get the RACE On expansion. RACE On includes the 2008 WTCC Cars, some street cars, Laguna Seca and Road America, so those might be big to you.

Everything in your cart is fine, but Race On wold be a nice addition.

Like @KingPing said, GTR EVO is the most important one for me simply because of the Nordscheife. The STCC and WTCC packs are there if you want them. Remember, you can always go back and buy them if you find the game lacking cars. If you're interested in street cars you should get the RACE On expansion. RACE On includes the 2008 WTCC Cars, some street cars, Laguna Seca and Road America, so those might be big to you.

Everything in your cart is fine, but Race On wold be a nice addition.

Ohh laguna seca, classic! I'll probably just get the Race Injection + GTR Evo and see whether i'll continue pursuing sim racing from there. Thanks guys u'all are awesome! :D

Hello! AC is 50% off on Steam now and I'm on the fence on purchasing this game. The only racing game experience I have is GT2, Forza 1, GRID, Dirt 3 (all on controller). I'm aware of the stunning graphics and physics engine in the game and have read reviews and views on various forums, but just can't wrap my head around buying it for fear that I wouldn't touch it in the long run or am just too noob (lack of a better word) around this racing sim! CONVINCE ME GTPLANET!!! (or otherwise!)

If I was you I would not waste any time with the older title for 2 reasons.
  • AC, although it is a great SIM is also the more intuitive to drive, particularly good for you since if you do not have much experience.
  • with more than 60 add on at present time and more adding every day, all the racks are there in one SIM, no need to the complication of having different titles.
I own and have played all the title suggested in this thread, that was before AC, now AC is all you need, for 20$, really, what is there to think about? Jump!

Prior to AC, I played more casual racing/driving games like GT & Forza or Grid. I would give AC a try, especially since its still available at a discount price. It does not have a big car list, and the graphics are not really THAT great (...yet? Looks nice, but everything feels a bit stale and artificial), but the feeling of being in the car is impressive. I actually bought a G27 wheel for this and it's worth the money imho.

If I was you I would not waste any time with the older title for 2 reasons.
  • AC, although it is a great SIM is also the more intuitive to drive, particularly good for you since if you do not have much experience.
  • with more than 60 add on at present time and more adding every day, all the racks are there in one SIM, no need to the complication of having different titles.
I own and have played all the title suggested in this thread, that was before AC, now AC is all you need, for 20$, really, what is there to think about? Jump!

Prior to AC, I played more casual racing/driving games like GT & Forza or Grid. I would give AC a try, especially since its still available at a discount price. It does not have a big car list, and the graphics are not really THAT great (...yet? Looks nice, but everything feels a bit stale and artificial), but the feeling of being in the car is impressive. I actually bought a G27 wheel for this and it's worth the money imho.

5 min from the end of AC sale and....

I bought it. Thanks everyone replying to this thread for your inputs, you all have been great!
Bought AC because
It has a modding community (Any game that has modding potential entices me)
Looked at it for a very very long time
If i were to practice cars and laps im guessing AC has just enough cars and tracks for me to practice on.
Still in early access and has shown exceptional potential!

5 min from the end of AC sale and....

I bought it. Thanks everyone replying to this thread for your inputs, you all have been great!
Bought AC because
It has a modding community (Any game that has modding potential entices me)
Looked at it for a very very long time
If i were to practice cars and laps im guessing AC has just enough cars and tracks for me to practice on.
Still in early access and has shown exceptional potential!
Good decision!

Don't think about how the game is now, think about how great this title will be in a years or so time once it's fully established and the modders have worked their magic too. I did the opposite to you, bought AC once my PC was built at the start of June (couldn't wait to see *if* it was to go on the summer sale) but kept being tempted by the SimBin bundle with GTR / Race 07 etc pack and just downloading these now. These games seem to have stood the test of time, I am fairly confident that Assetto Corsa will be the same.

Back