Is this game good?

• Thread starter DozUk
  • 28 comments
DozUk
Hi, I'm normally a sim player, was backer of original Pcars series, love AC and ACC.

I'm also after a bit of arcade fun, so I don't mind that aspect at all, I'm not sim precious.

I bought the new Grid to satisfy that itch but I really didn't like it, not because it wasn't sim like, I just found it very poor to be honest and it didn't get me going.

I steered away from all this at launch due to a) negative press from the majority and b) If I'm honest, dissapointed with the change of approach from the PC brand.

I'm past b) now, from staying away from the negative comments and focusing on what it delivers, it does actually look like the type of game I would enjoy as a pick up and play blast with a bit long term interest and competitive multiplayer.

So, I think what I'm trying to ask is, at £29 quid on ps store is it worth the punt or would some even say pay the £50 and get the deluxe?

Now that it's been out for a four or so months, do the people who liked it in the first place still like it and still play it?

Is the rivals part good and do the scheduled races keep you interested?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
you'll find it for sale on ebay for a cheaper price

Edit: sorry to answer your question, in my opinion the game is not good, I prefer Grid 2019 and I don't think its a good game either

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. As a long time fan of PC2 I held up on buying PC3 because of the negative reviews and comments. But now having bought it I regret having listened to them and not bought it sooner. I'm actually really enjoying it. I still play PC2 because of the series I run, but for fun I fire up PC3. Best of both worlds.

I'm also after a bit of arcade fun, so I don't mind that aspect at all, I'm not sim precious.
Very much this.

If you approach PC3 with an open mind and treat it not as a direct follow on from PC2 but a fun alternative option with lots of familiar PC2 items then you'll possibly enjoy it. There's still plenty of underlying "sim" physics in my opinion, much more than other similar games of the genre it's aiming at. While being more easily accessible with greater entertaining features than its predecessors.

There was a lot of indignation on its release but personally I don't feel affronted by anything or that I've been lied to in any way.

Now as to whether it's worth £30 to you, well I can't decide that. I paid £20 on a Amazon Black Friday deal, a really good deal. Having played it I'd have probably gone that extra £10. I'd hold out on the deluxe though. Wait until you try PC3 and if it clicks with you then wait for the season pass to go on sale - if you don't like it you'll be £20 better off.

Edit: I should add for reference my experience with PC3 is on a PS4 Pro using a HD monitor and a G29 wheel.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm normally a sim player, was backer of original Pcars series, love AC and ACC.

I bought the new Grid to satisfy that itch but I really didn't like it, not because it wasn't sim like, I just found it very poor to be honest and it didn't get me going.

I steered away from all this at launch due to a) negative press from the majority and b) If I'm honest, dissapointed with the change of approach from the PC brand.

I'm past b) now, from staying away from the negative comments and focusing on what it delivers, it does actually look like the type of game I would enjoy as a pick up and play blast with a bit long term interest and competitive multiplayer.

So, I think what I'm trying to ask is, at £29 quid on ps store is it worth the punt or would some even say pay the £50 and get the deluxe?

Now that it's been out for a four or so months, do the people who liked it in the first place still like it and still play it?

Is the rivals part good and do the scheduled races keep you interested?

Thanks

Mike
As an arcade game it is great. As a sum not so much. It's very much for fun. PS PRO player here.

Hi Mike,

I am in the same boat as you; play AC and ACC (and PC2) but dipped into PC3 recently (£20 from an online retailer; you can get it online from Currys now for £18; bound to be cheaper places too).

I've enjoyed PC3 for what it is - a bit of arcade fun on the side. The career mode is fairly well set out and the Rivals mode has been my daily go-to. You get a track/car combo and have to set a best time over a limited number of runs; there are hot lap events (1 lap), pace setter (average over 3 laps) and breakout (events where you drive through polystyrene blocks to get points). There are also weekly and monthly Rivals events. If you play Rivals and follow a 'normal' career mode, upgrade sensibly, etc. then there is no need to grind to get money (you'll find other opinions on the forums, but my experience is as stated).

I use a G29 and it worked from the start without having to change any FFB settings.

On the downside, the player group is tiny, so online races have been groups of 2 (yes, two) to four people and often at least one drops out. For the instant online races, you can't choose a car/track combo, you just get allocated them (probably because there are no players). There are scheduled races every 20 minutes but I've registered for 3 and for 2 there were no races (it seems to put you in a room, then says 'you have left the room', even though I haven't); I can only presume I was the only one who registered. In the third there were 4 players and 1 dropped out on lap 1. I just do career and Rivals now.

I've had quite a few blue screen crashes, but maybe 90% have been in Breakout events and others don't seem to have the problem, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

The physics are a bit 'slidy', but you can feel there is a more proper physics model underneath it all. Sounds are okay-ish (no match to AC/ACC). On a base PS4 visuals are fine too; I've seen people complaining about stuttering and all sorts, but I've not had those issues (although I do have them in PC2).

In summary, get it at the current low prices, because you will probably get value out of it, as long as you recognise it is not AC or ACC, which it appears you do.

The game is OK because it's based on PC2. If you want better game PC2 is the right way. My main problem with PC3 is broken pad controls but even without it I wasn't able to find much friends to play with. When I tried quick races recently no chance on Xbox. The game is a bit dead it seems. If you don't have any other game and have a wheel, PC3 is very good racing game. Don't worry.

Don't worry Mike I own Forza 7.... PC 2..... Grid.. ....and I haven't been near them since owning PC3....

As far as comparing it with Grid there is absolutely no comparison...

I can honestly say I don't have one good thing to say about that crock of

I have raced over ten thousand miles on PC3 using my X BOX X ... a wheel and a 4 k monitor .......

I find it exhilarating in every sense....

I would point out my racing is confined to the Custom Events...

And in my opinion people are spending to much time focusing on their personal dislikes and losing sight of all the positives associated with the game...

For instance I have listed below some of things that are standout positives for me .....

The control is fantastic straight out of the box..... with both wheel and pad.......

The circuit preproduction is spot on for all the many different locations...

Great car modeling..... especially in the showroom & pre race modes..

Great Engineer feed back during the race....

Lots of tuning options...

You can choose the weather and you have the option of Real time Weather changes / progression when racing ....

Brilliant night time racing

The sense of speed is very good which makes for a very exciting / realistic experience .....

Consequently I never find myself "driving " along with a "bored" head on ....

Fantastic "floating" three point indexing system for negotiating the bends ....so intuitive..

I could go on...... but I am sure by now you get how much I like this Game......

But I would emphasize that to get to see PC3 running at its best / full potential ...

You definitely need an X Box X or one of the New Generation Consoles or a decent Gaming PC....

I hope this helps to reinforce your decision to buy.........My Best Regards.....Barry..

Last edited:
Don't worry Mike I own Forza 7.... PC 2..... Grid.. ....and I haven't been near them since owning PC3....

As far as comparing it with Grid there is absolutely no comparison...

I can honestly say I don't have one good thing to say about that crock of

I have raced over ten thousand miles on PC3 using my X BOX X ... a wheel and a 4 k monitor .......

I find it exhilarating in every sense....

I would point out my racing is confined to the Custom Events...

And in my opinion people are spending to much time focusing on their personal dislikes and losing sight of all the positives associated with the game...

For instance I have listed below some of things that are standout positives for me .....

The control is fantastic straight out of the box..... with both wheel and pad.......

The circuit preproduction is spot on for all the many different locations...

Great car modeling..... especially in the showroom & pre race modes..

Great Engineer feed back during the race....

Lots of tuning options...

You can choose the weather and you have the option of Real time Weather changes / progression when racing ....

Brilliant night time racing

The sense of speed is very good which makes for a very exciting / realistic experience .....

Consequently I never find myself "driving " along with a "bored" head on ....

Fantastic "floating" three point indexing system for negotiating the bends ....so intuitive..

I could go on...... but I am sure by now you get how much I like this Game......

But I would emphasize that to get to see PC3 running at its best / full potential ...

You definitely need an X Box X or one of the New Generation Consoles or a decent Gaming PC....

I hope this helps to reinforce your decision to buy.........My Best Regards.....Barry..

Thanks Barry for the feedback, you've convinced me. I'm purchasing it now, looking at the positives that I've heard and from what I've seen it will do the job I want it to.

Thanks all

Mike

I am really pleased you are going ahead with the purchase Mike .....

I initially bought it for £40 plus ... as a stop gap while waiting for the new gen Forza to come out.......and don't regret a single penny of it..

I think it is safe to assume that the coming Forza game will have fantastic graphics.........

However for me it will have to go some to beat the pure Enjoyment factor of PC3 ....

I think its worth mentioning again ....X BOX X & Gaming PC's are required..... to see PC3 running with superb graphics...

It will of course also look fantastic on the new Consoles ....

Perhaps you will let me know how you get on ......when you have had time to put the Game though its paces....

Best Regards,

Barry.....

@DozUk - I wrote much of this below for a online friend of mine when he purchased PC3. @half_sourly from above actually. I'm not sure if it helped him but I think it'll be relevant to yourself as well.

When you first fire PC3 up it'll be a bit of a culture shock after PC2. The presentation style is much more flamboyant in its approach. Lots of big colourful menus which now I've got used to where everything is I'm fine with. I find them quite appealing actually after the more staid approach of PC2. I did turn the music down or off though.

You'll also immediately been thrown into a race in a GT3 Corvette. It's a bit of ruff and tumble for a couple of laps because you don't know the car, track, physics or the AI. But stick with it (I restarted a few times just to get a better feel for it) and things will get better after that finishes. You will then be in career mode which you could stay in and have a go at or you can back out and explore the rest of the options - which I think is the better choice because you can then tweak any settings to your liking.

I'd say try out the custom race mode first or better still initially just drive the cars around without racing (practice) to get a better feel for the handling model - which is the same, but different!

Hope that doesn't sound too daunting now you've bought it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

I think I already know that I'll enjoy it, I just wanted to hear from people who do like to make sure there is some alignment with what I expect.

I think this will give me what I was hoping Grid would.

See you on the track.

Mike
Feel free to send me a friend request on PSN Obi-Tonobi. Been trying to get a group of regulars together since launch. Clean casual racing. League races once I have enough people to start one up.

Hi guys, having installed on Friday, I only got chance to check this out last night.

I love it, this is the game I was hoping Grid would be when I bought it.

I liked it from the first race, a good no nonsense race without anything over the top and a fair race.

I then enjoyed the aspects of the early career, getting a car and having some enjoyable races. Again, nothing over the top just good fun and progression. I really enjoyed it.

Having come out of career I hit rivals and really like this. Daily, weekly and monthly challenges to have a good go at. I spent most of my time hitting the daily TT at Monza in the dark (As I was playing in in real time at night) against other rivals and the leaderboards.

Real good pick up and play challenges, just what I wanted.

I also had a scheduled race, picked one, set a quali and had a race. The custom lobbies seemed to be active too but I do love the rivals challenges, I think this is where I'll have a good deal of fun.

Basically, I love sims. I have a decent wheel and stand but wanted a good race game to blast on without setting all this up. Just pick up a controller and have a great deal of fun at times where I didn't want to go full sim.

As mentioned, I thought Grid would be this but it so wasn't. This is exactly what I wanted for this purpose. Love it, thanks for your advice

Mike

I think its worth mentioning again ....X BOX X & Gaming PC's are required..... to see PC3 running with superb graphics...
It runs relatively well on Xbox One X in Single Player, I was getting solid 60fps mostly but there was a lot of screen tearing in some areas.

Series X seems better in that regard but it's Multiplayer where I'm seeing the most drops, and I think it's a server issue :(

Speaking of, I'm hosting a public lobby tonight on Xbox, so pop in and drive for a bit :)

That's interesting.... but I am not seeing any screen tearing on my 4K monitor.....

Graphics are one of the most important elements for me to fully enjoy "motor racing" games....

So if tearing was present I am sure it would have registered with me......

However as i have said in previous posts.... I race in the Custom Event mode and generally never run with more than ten AI opponents..... which would obviously help with any possible screen tearing issues.......

It runs relatively well on Xbox One X in Single Player, I was getting solid 60fps mostly but there was a lot of screen tearing in some areas.

Series X seems better in that regard but it's Multiplayer where I'm seeing the most drops, and I think it's a server issue :(

Speaking of, I'm hosting a public lobby tonight on Xbox, so pop in and drive for a bit :)

Last edited:
Having come out of career I hit rivals and really like this.
Many like the Rivals mode after they've tried it. It forces you to try different car and track combinations. And there's always that "I'll just have one more go" aspect.

It's not required but you can set a qualification time for your grid spot in the scheduled events @half_sourly. Obviously not coming out of the pits though. :)

Hi guys, having installed on Friday, I only got chance to check this out last night.

I love it, this is the game I was hoping Grid would be when I bought it.

I liked it from the first race, a good no nonsense race without anything over the top and a fair race.

I then enjoyed the aspects of the early career, getting a car and having some enjoyable races. Again, nothing over the top just good fun and progression. I really enjoyed it.

Having come out of career I hit rivals and really like this. Daily, weekly and monthly challenges to have a good go at. I spent most of my time hitting the daily TT at Monza in the dark (As I was playing in in real time at night) against other rivals and the leaderboards.

Real good pick up and play challenges, just what I wanted.

I also had a scheduled race, picked one, set a quali and had a race. The custom lobbies seemed to be active too but I do love the rivals challenges, I think this is where I'll have a good deal of fun.

Basically, I love sims. I have a decent wheel and stand but wanted a good race game to blast on without setting all this up. Just pick up a controller and have a great deal of fun at times where I didn't want to go full sim.

As mentioned, I thought Grid would be this but it so wasn't. This is exactly what I wanted for this purpose. Love it, thanks for your advice

Mike
I am delighted the game is all you hoped for Mike......

From what you have said you have already delved into the various aspects of the game.......

So I am sure you will also get longevity when playing it.... ...

Best Regards,

Barry...

That's interesting.... but I am not seeing any screen tearing on my 4K monitor.....

Graphics are one of the most important elements for me to fully enjoy "motor racing" games....

So if tearing was present I am sure it would have registered with me......

However as i have said in previous posts.... I race in the Custom Event mode and generally never run with more than ten AI opponents..... which would obviously help with any possible screen tearing issues.......
Yes, AI count, weather, track and situations. Try some Sonoma racing during rain.

especially if you're using the Framerate mode.
Yes I've noticed that. It seems to often run better on the resolution mode, so I tend to keep it on that. PS4 Pro on a HD screen, so the resolution isn't particularly stressing it I suppose. Generally I don't have too many problems, some screen tearing in the more taxing situations. But to be fair I also get that in PC2.

Yes, AI count, weather, track and situations. Try some Sonoma racing during rain.

Yes I'm afraid racing in the rain doesn't appeal to me .....

But I do like starting off in the "Damp" track mode and racing through the first two laps with the track "drying off" ...brilliant .....

Last edited:
It's funny, because as a longtime controller user who has only just acquired a stand for my old G25, I think I'm finding PCARS3 more enjoyable with a wheel than a controller in spite of it being the most controller-friendly SMS title yet. :)

Meanwhile I think I still prefer to play Enthusia with a controller -- a game known for being tricky to drive with one. Its FFB isn't as bad as my first impression long ago, but it leaves something to be desired.

It's funny, because as a longtime controller user who has only just acquired a stand for my old G25, I think I'm finding PCARS3 more enjoyable with a wheel than a controller in spite of it being the most controller-friendly SMS title yet. :)
This is very problematic. PC1 and PC2 have the best controller feeling I have ever had. It's so good I can't have enough of playing. But main ingredience of it is game doesn't help you too much. You can't have it anywhere else on consoles but AC/ACC. PC3 has standard helpers like GT, for instance. It can't be enjoyable in the same way as PC1 and PC2. BUT many people like assisted steering and PC3 has it very well. So it depends. Do you like assisted steering and GT is your favorite game? You should love PC3 steering.

I switched recently to PC1 and I have a feeling it's the best for me. Maybe for now, maybe forever, but those two games are pure gold from pad steering perspective.

Last edited:
@Johnnn -- Yeah, your style is what I might call the "remote control car" style, where the gamepad is akin to an RC transmitter; inputs are what they are, nothing else. Don't worry, you're not the first one I've met. :)

My style is akin to any other videogame, as both a sim driver/racer and a gamer. I don't expect the steering to be 1:1 because few things are like that in videogames. Climbing a ladder is not like tilting an analog stick, for example, so input that simulates steering like in PCARS3 or GT is just the standard way of doing things to me.

@Johnnn -- Yeah, your style is what I might call the "remote control car" style, where the gamepad is akin to an RC transmitter; inputs are what they are, nothing else. Don't worry, you're not the first one I've met. :)

My style is akin to any other videogame, as both a sim driver/racer and a gamer. I don't expect the steering to be 1:1 because few things are like that in videogames. Climbing a ladder is not like tilting an analog stick, for example, so input that simulates steering like in PCARS3 or GT is just the standard way of doing things to me.
Yes, that's great analogy. It's so satisfying to me. It feels like controlling a wheel without a wheel :D

Sure, it's important to ask what player likes. ACC has great assisted controls but you can disable it and have AC1 controls. PC3 doesn't have any disable options so it's not for everybody. It doesn't mean one way is wrong. Just everybody likes something else.

Back