Is this penalty or not?

• Thread starter Barareklam
  • 13 comments
Sweden
Sweden, Gothenburg
Highlanderlast
At the moment there is time trial competition on Sport mode on Alsace, using Suzuki. I am just average driver with plenty of space for improving skills. I see that current leader is having time 1:35:something and it's possible to download replay and even ghost. So when I checked his path, I see he is cutting corners and still don't get penalty. So this, see image, is obviously not penalty. But I wonder, should it be?
What rules says?

Attachments

• 181c093fef014-screenshotUrl.jpg
    181c093fef014-screenshotUrl.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 13
These aliens search the routes for the very last useful centimeters that they can save/shorten. So it's normal that there is something like that. In this situation, I assume that at least 1 tire must still be on the curb in order not to be penalized.

I'm no expert but I think the limit is the white line, one tyre has to touch it, but I have the impression that the game sometimes doesn't check on that, maybe when there is no time to get from it. It would be good to know if further ahead, before the corner, the game would also allow the car to be so wide to the left and not touching the white line.

Actually, you can run completely off the track for that turn and the game doesn't penalize you.

However, the top time on the leaderboard stays on the hard stuff because it has more grip.

So this, see image, is obviously not penalty. But I wonder, should it be? What rules says?
Well... what rules?

There's no clearly stated objective rules for what constitutes track limits in GT7 at all. Sometimes just putting a wheel outside the white line is a track limits violation, sometimes you can be yards beyond it running on concrete.

1841a4dff6676-screenshotUrl.jpg

A bit strange that I did not receive a penalty for this. (Dunlop chicane lap 1)

1841a4e20bc18-screenshotUrl.jpg

But a race later, my mate received a 0.5 second penalty for this? (Dunlop chicane lap 3)

Penalty settings (weak) were the same for both races. Make it make sense.

Last edited:

But a race later, my mate received a 0.5 second penalty for this? (Dunlop chicane lap 3)

I don't know if it can explain this, but in La Sarthe WTC 600, you will get a penalty or not depending on if you gain time or not. So if you notice clearly that you went off track and will get a penalty, if you ease off on the pedal, the game won't penalise you.

I don't know if it can explain this, but in La Sarthe WTC 600, you will get a penalty or not depending on if you gain time or not. So if you notice clearly that you went off track and will get a penalty, if you ease off on the pedal, the game won't penalise you.
That, is an excellent explanation man. The first infringement which had me shaking my head fearing the penalty (that never occurred) was right out of the rolling start where everyone was jostling for position. Thank goodness for the concertina effect and my other mate in the R35 smashing the gas and I didn't (and couldn't) gain time. The second instance we were really pushing (on third lap) so clearly this was the reason for his penalty. Good stuff and my faith is restored. Many thanks!

(another view)
1841b44601689-screenshotUrl.jpg

Well... what rules?

There's no clearly stated objective rules for what constitutes track limits in GT7 at all. Sometimes just putting a wheel outside the white line is a track limits violation, sometimes you can be yards beyond it running on concrete.
Precisely.
In real world racing, the criteria depends the event notes from the race director.
Sometimes you have to keep at all times two wheels on the correct side (the right side on both cases) of the white line, sometimes is two wheels on the painted kerb, sometimes the criteria changes over the weekend...
Only case that's crystal clear is that you can't overtake with all wheels over the white line.

For me that's not a penalty as his tyre is on the kerb. I can understand that it very much looks like one and I'm not sure a car would enjoy that line very much in real life.
I'm no expert but I think the limit is the white line, one tyre has to touch it, but I have the impression that the game sometimes doesn't check on that, maybe when there is no time to get from it. It would be good to know if further ahead, before the corner, the game would also allow the car to be so wide to the left and not touching the white line.
Normally yes the white line is the limit. But here the line is so far away from the kerb that you just have to ignore it.
Well... what rules?

See Le Manns as this thread as shown. Whatever rules apply there seem to change every lap.

The Ford is a little further left.

The line has to be somewhere, the Ford must have just edged over it.

I've seen this happen in a lot of places, most often at Le Mans credit grind. If I come in too hot to some of the turns and don't brake soon enough, I can slide right on through and not get a penalty if I don't gain time doing it (most often because I was daydreaming while I was driving...).

The Ford is a little further left.

The line has to be somewhere, the Ford must have just edged over it.
Great.. now you've got me guessing again despite @Met Entso 's excellent explanation. Now that I look at it again you're right. The Fords' tyre does take up more space to the left in pure percentage (off) the kerbing.. :nervous:. I guess the best thing to do obviously is to not cut in too much at all, which can be hard not to do if in a real dogfight, especially in a car that might night not top out as high once you get off the twisty bits and onto the Mulsanne. Oh well part of the game inside the game I guess.

Back