Is this wheel good for a beginner?

Uruguay
Uruguay
I've intended to get a wheel for quite some time now. But there's a little problem, they're expensive as **** where I live. A G29 which seems to be the "base" wheel goes for $450 without a shifter here, and that's in online shops who's reliability I don't know. Normally, I'd just import it but my country also has a stupid limit where if you go over $200 in an order, you have to pay 60% of the whole price in taxes, plus the shipping which for 2kg is around an extra $60.

On Amazon I saw this wheel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ3AEFP/?tag=gtplanet-20 which seems to have FFB (edit: it doesn't) and come with pedals that don't have a clutch.

Would getting this be worth it? It wouldn't be a permanent purchase, just something to get used to a wheel while the G29 goes cheaper in my country and also to be able to play AC and the F1 games. Do you know of any other wheels that cost less than $180?

Last edited:
You might be able to find somewhere in the world that can get it under that $200 limit. In the UK, you can get a G29 for 170 GBP including sales tax, so that's 214 USD. So if there's somewhere you can get it from that won't charge their local sales tax when exporting to you, it could be under $200.

That Hori doesn't have FFB.

You might be able to find somewhere in the world that can get it under that $200 limit. In the UK, you can get a G29 for 170 GBP including sales tax, so that's 214 USD. So if there's somewhere you can get it from that won't charge their local sales tax when exporting to you, it could be under $200.

That Hori doesn't have FFB.
It said vibration feedback in the description, that's why I assumed it had it. Importing for another place in the world isn't viable though, since I have to first send it to the US and then to my country, and if I do that I have to include the first shipping charge into the $200 limit

Good old corrupt South American central government.

Perhaps you could find a used G25 or G27 and buy a DriveHub. Though they don’t seem to be depreciating much.

A wheel is only as good as the game that supports it, & GT Sport's FFB is awful. As someone who has been using FFB wheels in GT games since 2002, I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone buys a wheel just for this game, especially not if you want to pay extra for a clutch & shifter. Save your money & stick to the DS4.

👍

Last edited:
VBR
A wheel is only as good as the game that supports it, & GT Sport's FFB is awful. As someone who has been using FFB wheels in GT games since 2002, I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone buys a wheel just for this game, especially not if you want to pay extra for a clutch & shifter. Save your money & stick to the DS4.

👍
Thanks, but like I said on the OP I also intend to just be able to play other games as well. I tried the PC2 demo and no matter how much I tweaked it it just felt like **** on the DS4

Thanks, but like I said on the OP I also intend to just be able to play other games as well. I tried the PC2 demo and no matter how much I tweaked it it just felt like **** on the DS4

In that case, it's well worth getting a wheel for the likes of Assetto Corsa alone. The P CARS 2 demo felt off to me with the wheel, so I didn't buy the game. The original P CARS can feel good if you have the patience to set up the mindboggling array of options. Driveclub feels like an arcade game with a wheel, & Dirt Rally is really bad IMO. But then again, not everyone is looking for pure realism, & lots of people enjoy using a wheel despite the many shortcomings of the FBB in most games out there.

I have that exact HORI wheel and yeah, its not great, but its not bad. I tend to turn off the vibration though, its pointless and can be a bit distracting as it tends to rumble on a flat straight. The clicks of the paddle shifters are loud as hell as well so bare that in mind if you do get it, again they're not bad, just distracting.

A plus is a nice variation of settings including how much the wheel turns before you hit the max, little things like that and the sensitivity of the pedals can help, if you plan on using it for multiple games. I'll be honest in that i have never owned nor experience a FFB wheel so i can't give a true comparison. But if i compared it to the DS4 lets say, its not bad, I've won with both and although there is a learning curve, maybe 10 - 15 races with the wheel, its a hella lot of fun

Its for sure worth it, if you intend on using it as a stop gap whilst you get you're rig together or if you just want to experience "the feel" of using the wheel with the game.

I've intended to get a wheel for quite some time now. But there's a little problem, they're expensive as **** where I live. A G29 which seems to be the "base" wheel goes for $450 without a shifter here, and that's in online shops who's reliability I don't know. Normally, I'd just import it but my country also has a stupid limit where if you go over $200 in an order, you have to pay 60% of the whole price in taxes, plus the shipping which for 2kg is around an extra $60.

On Amazon I saw this wheel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ3AEFP/?tag=gtplanet-20 which seems to have FFB (edit: it doesn't) and come with pedals that don't have a clutch.

Would getting this be worth it? It wouldn't be a permanent purchase, just something to get used to a wheel while the G29 goes cheaper in my country and also to be able to play AC and the F1 games. Do you know of any other wheels that cost less than $180?

Have you tried using the controller in 6-axis mode? I bet it's easily as rewarding as a cheap wheel is.

Have you tried using the controller in 6-axis mode? I bet it's easily as rewarding as a cheap wheel is.

I dont see how anyone could enjoy driving on GT with a DS4 as much as a wheel. Buying my wheel was the best thing I have ever done, if I had to use a DS4 I wouldn't even play, just my opinion though.

VBR

👍
Terrible FFB or not, I much prefer the experience on a wheel vs controller. To each their own I guess. *shrug*

Back