Isn't B-Spec just a lazy way to play?

• Thread starter PiotrGT
  • 22 comments
Poland
Poland
PiotrGT
Look, with B-Spec you can have almost entire game complete by itself (exept for licences and some races). Isn't that cheating? Few years ago i completed half of a game like that and I regret, i wanted to play from the beggining but AI makes races pretty boring.

B-Spec is where the game puts you as the crew chief to give commands to "Bob", your driver. This can be useful if you don't want to have to endure the long endurance races, but it can turn into a form of cheating when you use it to grind for money (ex: continuously doing the red bull standard challenge over and over again).

But it's very easy to play, you get a car, tune it to the max and Bob wins a race for you. It's good for endurace races though. And the tuning, in majority of races AI uses stock cars and we can easily win a race with tuned car.

But it's very easy to play, you get a car, tune it to the max and Bob wins a race for you. It's good for endurace races though. And the tuning, in majority of races AI uses stock cars and we can easily win a race with tuned car.
How is that any different from driving the overpowered car yourself?

Why is it lazy?

It's making me more efficient. I can play something that is actually fun, rather than driving ssrx again and again with the same car, completely devoid of any sort of challenge.

That's called smart, not lazy.

Why is it lazy?

It's making me more efficient. I can play something that is actually fun, rather than driving ssrx again and again with the same car, completely devoid of any sort of challenge.

That's called smart, not lazy.
It's practically the equivalent of getting a friend to do something for you even though you're capable of doing it yourself.

...and if you find driving in the game so boring you just let the game do it for you then I suggest playing a different, less-grindful game instead. I know I have.

It's practically the equivalent of getting a friend to do something for you even though you're capable of doing it yourself.

...and if you find driving in the game so boring you just let the game do it for you then I suggest playing a different, less-grindful game instead. I know I have.
No, driving is fun. Grinding money, especially on an oval, is not. I could play a game that isn't grindy, but why, when I can just have the game auto generate money? Grinding was the reason why I never really did everything in gt5. It was just plain boring. I don't play games to be bored, I play them to not be bored.

It's not really the same as having a friend play the game for me. If I ask a friend to do it, it is usually implied that I will do them a favor later. The game does it without asking anything in return.

You don't get any A-Spec points if you switch out with an AI driver at any time during the race.

Since game completion is mostly meaningless, given that you can enter an insanely overpowered car into many series and win, A-Spec points are the only thing you actually "earn" through hard work (and skill) in GT4 (i.e.: by driving with the biggest handicap possible... hence the 200 A-Spec point challenge)

Would I be impressed if you drove "Like The Wind" a dozen or so times to buy that ridiculously expensive car? No.

Would I be impressed if you finished all the (possible) 200 A-Spec point races? Hell, yes.

-

So, no... I don't see what the problem is.

No, driving is fun. Grinding money, especially on an oval, is not. I could play a game that isn't grindy, but why, when I can just have the game auto generate money? Grinding was the reason why I never really did everything in gt5. It was just plain boring. I don't play games to be bored, I play them to not be bored.

It's not really the same as having a friend play the game for me. If I ask a friend to do it, it is usually implied that I will do them a favor later. The game does it without asking anything in return.
I forgot what they were called but there is usually 2 ideals in playing a section in a game.

1. For the actual experience (example, playing a super amazing level).

2. For something in the future (example, grinding for the experience you want).

IMO, if you can't grind for the cash then the game is not for you as it shows that it isn't worth it.

How is that any different from driving the overpowered car yourself?

That's true too, you can just tune your car and win, I think they should allow tuning in some races and AI should have tuned cars in them as well and not allow it in for eg. manufactuer races. And It's true that it isn't really cheating but very lazy way to complete majority of this game. Cheating is for eg. exploiting an in game glitch for your advantage, B-spec isn't a glitch so I'll change thread name.

Last edited:
I forgot what they were called but there is usually 2 ideals in playing a section in a game.

1. For the actual experience (example, playing a super amazing level).

2. For something in the future (example, grinding for the experience you want).

IMO, if you can't grind for the cash then the game is not for you as it shows that it isn't worth it.
I think I'll be the judge of what's worth it for me. I play for fun. Using a large variety of cars is fun for me. I could have won a lot of races with way fewer cars, but I find it more fun to have more cars. If I couldn't autogrind, I would have gotten bored by the game a lot sooner.

Bspec gives me the ability to play in a way I find fun, without breaking the game's rules. Why should I care about anything else?

That's true too, you can just tune your car and win,
That's not an option in every race at every level. You can't tune a Formula One car for instance, and you can't win the F1 series in B Spec unless you do three things 1.) earn a base of B spec points leading up to the series 2.) drive in A spec for the first set of tires or two in order to get out ahead by a good margin, and 3.) sit in front of the race actually working the B spec commands, knowing when you can push and when you need to back off b/c your tires are worn.

The same is true for LM cars before you get enough B spec points. You can't tune an LM car up enough to win a 24 hr race in "set it and forget it" mode until you've earned a base of B spec points.

So I think if you're seeing B Spec as an easy shortcut, you haven't tried it in the top tier races, at least not the F1 series.

Ok, I didn't try it with F1. If I give Bob equal car it becomes pretty hard. I was completing races years ago, just tuned up cars to the max and b spec + few missions and bronze licences. lol. I don't feel acomplished at all. I didn't complete all races but I have like 60% complete. I was younger back then (like 12-14). I'm still not good at racing but I like it : ( At least I improved a bit.

I don't see B-spec as cheating, not the way I game anyways. B-spec drivers are never as good as I am, so if I give them a car which has (let's say) 50 to 100 more horsepower than I would need, there's still a chance that Bob or Betty will still screw it all up.

Somebody who puts a vastly-overpowered car into B-spec hands, so that the Ai simply has no chance of failure? That could be seen as cheating / being lazy (by me, anyways), if a B-spec driver is doing some races I don't feel like doing. And yeah, there have been a few times I've cheated, or was too lazy to get into some race, and allowed B-spec a turn at the wheel. I admit it.

And yeah, there have been a few times I've cheated, or was too lazy to get into some race, and allowed B-spec a turn at the wheel. I admit it.
No. Say it ain't so! Parnelli Bone actually <gasp> used B-Spec?!?

:D

For some, such as myself, watching the AI play is rather interesting :D Since I have a fascination with game AI, I like to give it a whirl and see how it does - I would still say it is a game experience, same as playing it yourself. I am abysmal at Gran Turismo so I do like to watch it drive for me.

I should start using A-Spec (I only ever used A-Spec to complete the Sunday Cup once, then some other race on Beginner Course B-Spec was amazingly [literally amazing] bad at [I have the replay, for when I need a laugh and the day I get a capcard to upload it], to grind the Costa di Amalfi special conditions race [yes, A-Spec grinding, that's something I do {not that I can even use B-Spec in that race}], some races in the supercar cup when B-Spec kept going off the track and the licenses and missions and so forth)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back