Issue with image embedding from URL

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 12 comments
United States
a baby, candy, it's like taking.
TexRex72
I've experienced on a couple of occasions today an error when embedding an image from URL. Whether I use BBCode tags or the rich text image embed function, the image fails to display and a broken image icon appears in its place.

Images appear as normal when attached instead.

In the quoted post, I first used the URL generated by Twitter. When it didn't display, I downloaded the image from Twitter and uploaded to a hosting site to generate a URL, thinking the issue was associated with Twitter. I finally resorted to uploading the image directly to GTPlanet.

I gather you can review edit history. Let me know if the information I've provided isn't sufficient.

I should add that when editing the post quoted above, the image appeared in the post edit interface.

Here's another attempt to post the same image via Twitter-generated URL. (Watch...it'll work this time.)

FFKntPNyXEAEC2C.png

Edit: It didn't. Yay, I guess. This time the image doesn't appear in the post edit interface, though.

Last edited:
OK, thanks, I found the problem and it should be fixed.

Broken images might take a while to refresh but new images should load as expected.

For some reason, the second URL you've included in the post above, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFKntPNyXEAEC2C.png, does not load even when I try to visit it directly.

Last edited:
For some reason, the second URL you've included in the post above, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFKntPNyXEAEC2C.png, does not load even when I try to visit it directly.
I provided an incomplete URL. Smooth. I don't think I did that in the first time. I know I didn't with the URL generated by the image hosting site because it wasn't parsed the way they are on Twitter.

Testing with a complete URL:

FKntPNyXEAEC2Ck.png

Edit: Swing and a miss. The image link works for me, though.

[Edit] Here's the full tweet:

Not sure if that helps any.

Last edited:
Yeah, that particular URL might not work for a few hours. The proxy system has a back-off algorithm if it has trouble fetching a URL after a period of time, so we'll have to wait for that to expire before it gives it another shot.

Let's try with a fresh image from Twitter:

FJjTXH3XEAMiYK0

Thank you so much, Jordan. Any images I've posted elsewhere (those that gave me trouble today, anyway) have since been uploaded to the site directly, so that's fully resolved as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
This one's cropped up again. Images (with full and correct URL--I made absolutely sure of that this time around) aren't embedding from URL using either BBCode or the interface in the post format menu. They are appearing as attachments, however.

Here's the one I most recently had trouble with:

FXedmsUXEAMgNIB.jpg

Yeah, looks like the image proxy crashed for some reason. It's fixed now, but it might take a while for the images that are already posted to be refreshed.

Pro tip! If you don't want to wait, you can force it to load a new copy by appending a ? to the end of the URL, like so:

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXedmsUXEAMgNIB.jpg?[/IMG]

FXedmsUXEAMgNIB.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like I'm having the same issue for the last couple of hours. Pictures from other websites posted at that time as links with tag don't show up.
This one, for example.

52224970220_2374e1245a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know. It has been resolved and I've identified the reason it keeps happening.

Again, it might take a few hours for all the broken images to populate, but they should eventually start loading.

Back