Istanbul Park circuit - what happened, why is abandoned?

• Thread starter zaxs
  • 16 comments

You miss racing at the Istanbul Park?

• Very much, bring it back!

• Not really, choice is big enough...

• Istanbul Park? You are old, folks!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Croatia
Croatia
samozaxs
samozaxs
You remember that fantastic, ex Turkey Grand Prix F1 track, that hosted great races all over again?

Almost everyone loved it, and now is forgotten, in reality and virtually?

Maybe, or even the best Tilke's creation now is only in racing fans memories.

I remember hundreds of fantastic, brilliant races in RD GRID that happened there...
...And from then, silence!

Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Project Cars, Asseto Corsa, even Codies abandoned it?

Why?
Do you share the pain, would you like to see it, drive through "Turn 8" again?

Istanbul Park is one of my personal favorite circuits, but it's also very, very irrelevant in the present-day motorsport scene now too. I only really remember this track being in the various F1 games over the years (which I never played - shame on me) and in Codies' GRID series.

One and only one good corner, which is a copy of a corner at Spa, with run off tarmac removing any form of challenge from it.

That does not make a good track.

I do want Istanbul Park to be in more racing games like GT, AC and Project Cars.

Reason why Turkish grand prix failed because the ticket prices were expensive. Im Turkish, Turkey barely has any motorsport history or interest in motorsport. Formula 1 failed because Turkish people are obessed with Soccer or Football they literally dont care about the other sports.

Barely any turkish race drivers. Neither does the government sponsor such things.

Sad story of Istanbul park. Awesome track failed to be popular.

I am living in Istanbul and my hometown's F1 track not being in big games is sad and annoying. The rhing about not being in games is game makers fault. My dad knows the tracks owner(Vural Ak) and he is a nice and polite guy. he is open for everything. The track is not that active because of racing federations. He made 2 big festivals. 1st VWeekend Motoring 2nd VWeekend Sports. seeing this track in games could do a big impact.

I am living in Istanbul and my hometown's F1 track not being in big games is sad and annoying. The rhing about not being in games is game makers fault. My dad knows the tracks owner(Vural Ak) and he is a nice and polite guy. he is open for everything. The track is not that active because of racing federations. He made 2 big festivals. 1st VWeekend Motoring 2nd VWeekend Sports. seeing this track in games could do a big impact.

Istanbul Park only made it into some F1 games from Codemasters and the Grid series.

Toca Race Driver 3 also had Istanbul park. It seems only codemasters are the ones to include the track.

I hope one day the Gran Turismo series features it or Project Cars or maybe Forza.

I dont mind tracks that were barely in any racing games rather than the usual mainstream ones like spa or monza.

One and only one good corner, which is a copy of a corner at Spa, with run off tarmac removing any form of challenge from it.

That does not make a good track.

Disagree, always had good racing action, final sector was a bit meh with the slow hairpins but still generated action.

Also which corner of spa are you referencing? I cant think which one if you're referencing turn 8 of Istanbul.

Disagree, always had good racing action, final sector was a bit meh with the slow hairpins but still generated action.

Also which corner of spa are you referencing? I cant think which one if you're referencing turn 8 of Istanbul.
Probably. If that's the one actual good corner on the track... I get that it can produce good racing, but that doesn't make it a good track in my view.

Probably. If that's the one actual good corner on the track... I get that it can produce good racing, but that doesn't make it a good track in my view.

What more could you want from a track than provide good racing? That not what we watch it for?

What more could you want from a track than provide good racing? That not what we watch it for?
An interesting layout. Different types of corner, differing cambers and banking. No run off tarmac. Limited corner into corner and more straight into corners layouts and sensible up and down elements. Basically most old tracks, virtually none of the modern tracks.

As for good racing? Get rid of most of the downforce. Not all of it, maybe leave them 1% of what they have now.

Also camera positions showing off the cars to best effect rather than to get a sponsorship logo in the frame.

Meh, if it provides good racing I'm game. Lots of old tracks don't provide good racing where Istanbul did. I guess it comes down to what you watch it for as to what side to sit on but I'm for exciting racing over arty shots of cars and interesting tracks that don't provide good racing.

Istanbul Park was a fantastic track.

End of discussion.

Lock thread.

:)

Seriously though, it was a fast circuit with some nice cambered turns where you could really throw the car in, a few up & downs (admittedly not on Spa's level) & a really good flow to it.
But yeah, I remember the GRID days when everyone online knew the track so well, it hosted many a high speed, serious close & sometimes a tad destructive racing experience.

It's one of them tracks you keep racing around just to get that .001 of second off your previous.

Top track.

The combination of the layout and elevation changes makes this a fantastic track, I would love to see it in GTS or back on the F1 calendar although that will never happen.

You need your head checked if you don’t like this track! :lol: Not much to dislike about it really.

it was a great track in GRID and I remember 1 race that still stays with me after all these years. I was in some touring car like vehicles and all of a sudden the A.I next to got a flat (front left I believe)and just went into a crazy series of rolls. It looked amazing and I have never seen anything like it happen in any other game since.

Back