It doesn't matter where you sit...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danoff
  • 8 comments
  • 543 views

Danoff

Premium
Messages
34,431
United States
Mile High City
So you go to a concert – you’ve paid your money to get decent seats because you like the band. You show up early because you don’t want to miss anything and get settled in.

The opening act comes on and only like a quarter of the audience is in the theater. You’re checking out your seats and thinking to yourself “I can see ok, nobody irritating or smelly is next to me, this is going to be good.”

Then, as the opening act draws to a close the masses flood in to the theater. All of the sudden your “seats” are surrounded by standing screaming jackasses. The main attraction comes on and to your dismay nobody sits.

So because some idiots in front of you are standing you have to stand too (yea I know some concerts don’t have seats, everyone stands). So now you’re looking at standing for the next 2 hours and to your dismay people start singing. You’re having trouble focusing on your favorite songs because some idiot next to you is butchering the song at the top of his lungs. Then… as if to mock you… the peak of irony happens.

The lead singer of the band stops singing right at the best part, turns the microphone to the audience, and encourages all of these screaming idiots to sing the song for him.

Ever catch yourself thinking “I didn’t pay all that money to hear them!! I sure as hell didn’t pay all that money to hear myself sing! I don’t know why this guy next to me paid to hear HIMself sing, but I don’t want to”

…and then when you leave you have to yell to talk to your date because neither of you can hear anything since the band was so loud (though not loud enough to drown out the people around you).
 
I guess what we're seeing here is that it doesn't matter what the event is, people don't do well with eachother in large numbers. I went to Rockfest `97 back in .... `97 .... and there were people setting up blankets and tents in front of the stage. Then yelling at people for trampling their stuff. COME ON! There are over 400,000 people here and you put your tent in the mosh pit.

I've come to enjoy smaller events, like bar sized concerts. One of my favorite bands, Jackopierce, has been playing for some 15 years now and they still play to small audiences. Their crowds are usually very reserved groups. Even recently Cary has asked at the start of the show that no one smoke and everyone turn off their cellphones, to which there are few occations where someone is an offender.

I suggest sticking to small groups. You'll enjoy your life and your experiences much more (:
 
When I went to the Deep Purple concert over the summer, people were sitting for the most part. The only time people started to stand and sing was near the 2nd half of their act when they played songs like Highway Star and Smoke on the Water. The music was loud enough to more or less drown out the people immediately around me but it wasn't deafeningly loud either. The one and only gripe I had about my seat was that there was a giant pillar covering a small section of the stage.

For my first concert, it was an awesome experience 👍.
 
I agree with Loud Music. smaller shows are a lot better. the only big show i went to was Lynyrd Skynyrd and i had to stand the whole time..kinda. all these stupid rednecks would sit down after every song and i didn't want to be the only one standing so i sat down too. only to have to get back up 20 seconds later to stand again so i could see.

smaller shows are the best way to go.
 
Lynyrd Skynyrd ... way to many y's in that name.

I'd pay more to see a band at a small show.
 
yeah. i don't really like paying more the $15 for a show, but all i really listen to is punk and ska.

Next wednesday Bouncing Souls at the State Theather.
 
I've been to a few Intimate & Interactive type shows. One in particular was in a movie-theatre sized auditorium, and it was the best show I've been to see. Granted, it was with my girlfriend and it was Jan Arden, an artist who doesn't lend herself to large raucous stadium-size concert venues, but the audience was made up of mature adults who had all paid good money to hear music being played and sung.

On the other hand, AC/DC in the same setting would have sucked.

The worst concert I've been to was the SARS Concert in Toronto two summers ago. I only went to support my city. We were at least a fifteen-minute walk from the stage. The sound was horrible, and some ****ing a**holes actually threw water-bottles at Justin Timberlake, making me ashamed to be Canadian. Goddamned drunks, they are a plague of society. I left without seeing the washed-up Stones. But AC/DC was the star of the show anyway, and I saw them. They came on second last, before the Stones, and got everybody pumped and standing and waving their arms and bopping their heads and singing. AC/DC puts on the best shows.
 
When I went to see Rush this summer at the Molson Ampitheatre, all me and my friend could afford were the lawns, so we didn't have any seats. Instead, we had to stand on a hill for 3 hours (which is the same as standing on your toes for the same amount of time since the muscles are in the same position). Nobody would sit down for the entire concert, so for a few days afterwards, my calf muscles were in a bit of pain. Otherwise, it was a great concert. The band was mind blowing, and the fans were loud, but no idiots in the crowd.

As for the SARS concert, that was not a good concert. The sound was afwul, there was absolutely no room to move around, nobody respected other people's space, and the acts were way too short. But, those people should have not tossed bottles at Justin Timberlake, they should have found the person responsible for puting him in the concert and hurled the bottles at him! We came to see Rush, The Stones, and AC/DC, not some crappy pop 'musician'. And, the artists sets were all way too short. I'd just be getting into a band, and they would be finished!

And AC/DC was by far the best act of the day. Anyone who says otherwise that was there has no musical taste (and this is coming from a huge Rush fan).
 
Smaller shows are definitely much more enjoyable. I can't stand going to big shows any more since there are just so many idiots there and people that don't even know the bands or don't enjoy the music. All my favorite shows have been at smaller venues.
 
Back