It was real, it was nice, but it wasn't real nice.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6668tp
  • 15 comments
  • 1,464 views
Messages
25
To those of you who have enjoyed the GTseries and regularly post to this site I wish you well. I, however, am a relative newcomer to the site and to GT4 which I got as a Christmas present and began on Dec. 27,2005. I have enjoyed the short time on the game and found it to be a real test of patience and skill. Last night,however, has left nothing but a Gamers pit in my stomach (this is just computer gaming after all).
I have been a computer gamer since the late 1980's and I have never seen anything with any game like I saw last night. I posted a message to this site not long ago about the game data for GT4 being corrupted and unreadable. I did have the good fortune of having a backup on a friends memory card and was able to copy and use the game as it was on that date. Since that recovery I have managed to cruise through all on the missions but M34, get 64 Gold Licenses, 94% complete,204 Cars and about $20,000,000 credits. Last night I finished getting gold on ten tests in an hour in the IA Licenses ripping off one by one. I decided to call it a night and got out of the last test. The game auto saved and then I went to Home and did a save there. I came out of the game, flipped out the CD and turned the PS2 back on to perform a copy of the game data to a second memory card. This process failed and the game data on my primary card is at this point corrupt and unusable when the GT4 Game is loaded. I had a third copy of the game data on another memory card and somehow the copy from the third card overlaying my primary card also cause the data to be corrupt. This can't be. How does Sony allow such trash to be sold in the general public. As I have stated, I have never seen a PC or PS1,PS2 game crash so badly in all of my day. I literally give up on both the hardware and software for this product and will be sending Sony Entertainment a very nasty letter soon. Anyone want to buy a slightly used PS2 Slim? I hope your experiences with this platform and game are more enjoyable than mine but I have just given up!

========== What a waste !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ===============
 
A couple of minor points.

Firstly, I've never had my game save corrupt. Ever. I use Sony memory cards, not third party stuff and backup regularly. I also never turn off immediately after a save - instead preferring a cursory navigation of the main map - and autosave is switched to "off" (which, in this instance, means "autosave whenever you sell a car, or get into one"). I've heard nothing but trouble about autosave.

Secondly, this forum is for feedback about the site, not about GT4 - hence the name "Site Feedback". As I see both Pako and I are in this thread, doubtless it will be moved to the correct forum soon.


But I feel for your pain. Try downloading Rogs' uber-save for a little light relief.
 
Oh man! I can totally understand your frustrations although my frustrations comes from 400 gb's of priceless data (personal pictures and data files) being lost due to hard drive failures. It seems you did, or tried to at least to keep your saved data integrity in tact, more so than most. I never had memory card write issues, but the game disk had some issues, perhaps to security measures taken on the game disk make it difficult for legitimate users to actually use the game.
 
Sorry to hear about your data being corrupted. I'm thinking though that your problem might be that you are using the ps2 slim model. It is known that the slim has a problem with overheating when it's used for extended periods of time. I own both the older regular ps2 and a slim, but have never had any problems with either of them. I'm curious if other people that have had corruption problems were using the slim ps2 when they had problems? I'd really like to know b/c I mainly use the slim when I am on the road for buisness, and if the corruption problems seem to come from saving after the unit has been on too long I will be sure not to do any enduros on the road. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks
 
srpst23
I'm thinking though that your problem might be that you are using the ps2 slim model. It is known that the slim has a problem with overheating when it's used for extended periods of time.

Though this information is incorrect.

Case in point - my own 468 hour run with my slim PS2 (also called PSTwo, to distinguish it, as with PS1/PSOne).

But mine IS stored properly - not tucked away in a wooden box with little air movement around it.


Almost all corruption issues I've heard of arise due to either 3rd party memory cards or active autosave. Or both.
 
I can appreciate your efforts to be so correct. In a reply:
All components used are Sony cards and equipment. I didn't just power the PS2 off in mid filght and did browse through my Home before doing so. I think you can understand the frustration of spending the real time that is required in this game to accomplish some of the tasks and then have them destorued once, twice, three time by faulty hardware. Lastly, if you are so empowered to do so, please remove my login from the site.
 
6668tp
*snip*Lastly, if you are so empowered to do so, please remove my login from the site.

Not necessary. I can ban you if you like. Thanks for stopping by.

My guess is that a PS3 is not in your future?
 
My game never crashed. It's gotta be the disc itsself. Oh no wait, it crashed twice, in both cases it just froze when selecting a track to race on.

Thats solved now though, it has been a reliable game for me so far.
 
Thanks for the info Famine, if you haven't had overheating issues effecting your saves after all the time you put in on the enduros ect. I doubt that I will have any issues while traveling.

Side note: I have had problems with third party equipment in the past, and definately reccomend only using sony equipment with your ps2.
 
I have never had game save problems for GT4. Auto save is turned off.
I have a slim line PS2 and keep it on a table when playing so temp is not a problem.
 
I have no idea what happened, but it sounds like your PS2 just decided to blow up. sorry!
 
The only time i've had a corrupt save was when I rebooted my system in the process of autosaving.
 
Well, I called Sony and spoke to their people about the AC Adapter recall. My thin unit does not apply becasue of the serial numbers even though it has all of the same behavior.
I have resolved this issue by doing what many do. I threw money at it. I bought a reconditioned old type(not thin) PS2 to do the business of racing. This seems to have worked out fine. I would like to respond to those of you who have replied that I do enjoy this game as entertainment and I also see it as a challenge. I love to drive and enjoy driving my own red roadster and enjoy driving it hard. As we all know, playing this game is an investment of time while enjoying the challenge. It just bothered me to have to redo all of what was accomplished due to a hardware failure that to me is a known shortcoming of the PS2 thin and, as usual, Sony Corp. doesn't really want to do much about it.
 
I hope you'll get back into racing again ... the only thing that i can add here, don't try to force your way through the game (not that I think you'll do it) ... there are far to many people out there which are just trying to get the 100% done as quickly as possible and then they forget about the game.

I'm a bit of a GT-maniac since GT3 and have driven 22K kilometres since i got it last year in may - and i'm still at 83,7% and have 14 gold medals left. I'm taking my time and it adds up to some 2% being done in 3 months, then nothing, then 5% in a week. I have (luckily) never lost a save (but i have seen two people losing theirs ...) and this might not be of much help, but don't forget to have fun when driving GT4 - even if Sony is at fault ...
 
You got a pretty good advice up there 👍 , very good
 
the only time that i have ever had a corrupted file was when in gt1 when i turned the ps1 off too soon. and when i used too many gameshark codes in crazy taxi 1 to see how fast a hyper-crazy dash was and the ps2 froze.

you made a good move by getting an older ps2

hope you get back into gt
 
Back