It's been 18 years.

Hello, and happy new year everyone. It's been a long time. I've been quietly watching Gran Turismo grow from afar, wondering, worrying... and sticking to GT4, since it came out. 4 has been largely the one to rule them all for me, despite its wide variety of flaws. Until now: I picked up GT7 last week having gotten a PS5 for xmas (I know, right?)

Whenever a new GT comes out, I usually see the same thing: people complaining. And you know, I get it: we hold our old favorites in high esteem, and want the new game to take that experience and build on it. GT7 seemed no different: 2 steps forward, one step back.

Right?

Here's my hot take for the new year: GT7 is roughly 85% of the way to being the ultimate racing game, period. Although GT4 does some things better, GT7 is leagues ahead.

Oh sure, I have a handful of complaints, but they're pretty small. I miss having game progression be dictated by a more natural economy, rather than curated through the Cafe. I feel like the Cafe would be great as an ancillary feature instead. And, the driver animations aren't perfect; the shifter animation lags behind the actual shift, and there's not much footwork going on. Also, the usual missing content, certain cars and tracks I miss. These, so far, are minor gripes.

I also would like to see some of the races use things like qualifying sessions and grid starts. Looks like the custom race feature allows for grid starts, so it's not like it ain't there.

But; good lord. Skipping a couple generations gives quite a bit of perspective on the evolution of the series, and while I can see that GT7 isn't perfect, I don't think it would take much to make it so. That means, surprise surprise, the vast majority of the griping I've heard over the years has been pretty bunk. The graphics and attention to detail, the content that is here, the tuning and customization, and the driving/physics are absolutely top notch. I'm not even half way through this cafe thing, but discovering the E30 M3 is just as much of a hoot to drive here as it is in Assetto Corsa is all I needed to know that GT is going to be fine.

As for what would make GT8 perfect/next level, I'll take that thread elsewhere. Once again, happy new year, and here's to one hell of an upgrade.

Who complains about that?

And don't forget you arrive at a point where there are nearly 2 years of updates too.
I know 👍 The point I'm trying to make is that the bones are there. I see GT7, and I see potential for GT8 to be absolutely perfect. 7 is already most of the way there.

Note: I realize nobody was complaining about the graphics, I was pointing out all the things obviously right with the game.

I know that post-cafe content is supposedly a little lacking, as I say, I've been following along since it came out. That doesn't mean what's here isn't already compelling.

Not sure anyone was advocating hand holding, just advising to hold judgement until fully in.
Or you're just looking to complain. Since that is all you do on these boards. You seriously complain more than my 5 yr old daughter.

Please find a different game to play,candy spare us your condescending attitude.

Or you're just looking to complain. Since that is all you do on these boards. You seriously complain more than my 5 yr old daughter.

Please find a different game to play,candy spare us your condescending attitude.

You see feedback as a complaint? You see suggesting further play before judging as a complaint? Very intriguing...

Regarding your point of other games, I have. Your qualifier term "condescending" suggests your emotions are clouding your judgement.

Good thing you are not a nuclear reactor, because we just experienced a meltdown for no particular reason.

I honestly was not to impressed with GT7 until i tried it with PSVR2. Now I just can't get enough.

It takes the game from a good game, that gets boring fast. To something that keeps impressing me every single time i play it, even its been nearly a year after I got PSVR2.
Personally I liked the game very much already but VR definitely takes it to a whole new level, I would encourage everyone to try it, especially if they're feeling disappointed or disillusioned or frustrated. A frequent criticism is the lack of interesting things to do with all these great cars; this simply isn't a problem with VR because the sheer joy of driving is enough.

Personally I liked the game very much already but VR definitely takes it to a whole new level, I would encourage everyone to try it, especially if they're feeling disappointed or disillusioned or frustrated. A frequent criticism is the lack of interesting things to do with all these great cars; this simply isn't a problem with VR because the sheer joy of driving is enough.

Recommending people spend around the cost of a decent PC for one game is quite insane.

Recommending people spend around the cost of a decent PC for one game is quite insane.
Good thing PSVR2 works for other games too then hey.

And if they try PSVR2 (as @PlanetJanet suggested) and love it, what's your issue? Why would you care how others spend their money?

Not everyone wants a decent PC so wouldn't that be equally insane for them to spend their money on?

Quite an odd comment really :odd:

Not sure anyone was advocating hand holding, just advising to hold judgement until fully in.
I hear you, I think it's reasonable to offer constructive criticism. However, in cases like these where the good heavily outweighs the bad, concentrating solely on the critique comes across as little more than pessimism.

I agree the game is almost there, but that's sort of what frustrates me a bit. And the new Game completion counter only highlights more of what they got wrong (or more accurately, forgot). I need more variety of events and a better average per series as 5 I think is too few, but an average of 6 I think would've been better. Two Gr.4 Events? What's the Super Licence for?

I'd love to try PSVR2 but just not had the opportunity. I was hoping a local gaming shop would have it to try but seems they don't need to promote it to get it to sell. Maybe one day when I win the lotto

Good job I didn't do that then isn't it? I quite carefully chose the words 'encourage' - not recommend - and 'try' - not spend. So yeh, do better.

I'm intrigued by how anyone can try it without a PS5 (rrp £449) and the PSVR. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have retail places rigged up for it. If you are , awesome, that's some amazing customer service. However, in the common streets, no such avenue is available. Hence most would perceive encourage to try as spend. So, please, do better with your encouragement. bows

Good thing PSVR2 works for other games too then hey.

And if they try PSVR2 (as @PlanetJanet suggested) and love it, what's your issue? Why would you care how others spend their money?

Not everyone wants a decent PC so wouldn't that be equally insane for them to spend their money on?

Quite an odd comment really :odd:

Which is why I said, "Recommending people spend around the cost of a decent PC for one game is quite insane" at no point did I say to spend that money on a PC.

Last edited:
Which is why I said, "Recommending people spend around the cost of a decent PC for one game is quite insane" at no point did I say to spend that money on a PC.
Good thing I didn't say you did then isn't it.

I just pointed out that if you think it's quite insane to spend money for PSVR2, that works for more than one game incidentally, then to some people your PC option could also be considered quite insane.... and it was a question, not a statement.

And just as an FYI, many people have tried my PSVR2 without buying one or going to a store to try one out, that's why I said ''And if they try PSVR2 (as @PlanetJanet suggested) and love it, what's your issue? Why would you care how others spend their money?''. Edit: Some of those have gone on to buy PSVR2 and some haven't, just like people who have tried my rig set-up (which is more expensive again) and gone on to buy sim wheels.

Options exist ;)

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by how anyone can try it without a PS5 (rrp £449) and the PSVR. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have retail places rigged up for it. If you are , awesome, that's some amazing customer service. However, in the common streets, no such avenue is available. Hence most would perceive encourage to try as spend. So, please, do better with your encouragement. bows

I'm sorry that you haven't had a chance to try VR, I hope you do get a chance soon.

@Mr. Premium, I'd encourage you to try it too if you get a chance, it's really great. :)

I'm sorry that you haven't had a chance to try VR, I hope you do get a chance soon.

@Mr. Premium, I'd encourage you to try it too if you get a chance, it's really great. :)
Yes it is.

And to those wanting to give it a go, may I suggest a good way to try to connect with PSVR2 is through Facebook. I've had many people give mine a go through friends of friends asking if they know of anyone with it on FB. Joining groups helps too.

I agree the game is almost there, but that's sort of what frustrates me a bit. And the new Game completion counter only highlights more of what they got wrong (or more accurately, forgot). I need more variety of events and a better average per series as 5 I think is too few, but an average of 6 I think would've been better. Two Gr.4 Events? What's the Super Licence for?

I'd love to try PSVR2 but just not had the opportunity. I was hoping a local gaming shop would have it to try but seems they don't need to promote it to get it to sell. Maybe one day when I win the lotto
Yeah, that highlights my main criticism of 7, having looked at lists of all the events, It seems a little sparse. I had a thought that, perhaps, this is Kaz trying something a little different out for 7, and maybe we'll get somewhat more traditional progression and the full bevy of events for 8. Seems to be a pattern for each generation.

But that remains to be seen. What I do see here is still compelling enough at least for now, and there's always the chance we'll get more content later anyway. Here's hoping.

Back