iTunes Help.................. anyone?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter mvandepas
  • 2 comments
  • 528 views
Messages
83
Wow! New Zealand has just got the iTunes Store for the first time ever today! And at $1.79 per song (NZD) thats a pretty good price and Id definately rather pay that than live with the guilt of the songs I download for free!

Just a few questions. Prior to signing up to an account I cant actually see what artists have songs listed in iTunes (for example how do I find out (before installing iTunes) whether Metallica (for example) is listed in the library? There's heaps of artists Id been keep to buy the music for but I want to know exactly which ones are available.

Also, where do you find (presumably somewhere on the iTunes website) information about copy laws etc. Whether the song files have encoded rules so that you can only copy xxx number of times to a CD etc...

Cheers!
 
Funny that question, since I'm in an Apple store, using an Apple computer, and apple software

cant help you sorry :p
 
First off, downloading and installing iTunes on your computer is free, so you can access/browse the iTunes store without having an iTunes account - you only need an account when you decide to buy/download something. What you get is a protected .aac file (not an mp3), which is encrypted with the FairPlay DRM (digital rights management) protection... this restricts the number of computers the file can be 'authorized' on, and also limits the number of times you can burn whole albums/playlists (7 times I think), although (apparently) you can burn individual tracks to CD legally as many times as you want... (you can then subsequently turn the file into an mp3 by ripping the audio track you've burned from the .aac file - this is perfectly legal, so long as you do not share the .mp3 of course... you paid for it!...)

Anyway, there is loads of stuff on the iTunes website under the 'Support' tag, but suffice it to say, you can freely browse iTunes Store without having to spend any money...

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/
 
Back