itunes media playerMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigJamesGTI
  • 18 comments
  • 683 views
Messages
1,931
Yesterday I discovered itunes media player and realised that its so much better than winamp. Anywho I need to know if anyone else uses itunes and how many of my cds it will take before it fills up - Ive about 40 or so albums that I want to d/l to the pc, has it got enough space for 40 albums ???

Im liking the fact that I can store the data from the CDs I have directly onto my pc - woohoo !!
 
iTunes doesn't store the songs you rip, your hard drive does. All iTunes does is make a playlist of what cd's you have ripped.
 
So how much space will 40 albums take up ?? Appx ??

I dont want to get halfway through putting them onto the PC and then have to stop cos theres too many or not enough space - thats all
 
Depends on how many songs there are and how much each of it is in size.


e.g. 1 album, 10 songs, 5mb each. 50mb of songs. That's how much hard drive space that one album will take up.

I myself use iTunes, I haven't used any other media player for audio files since. 👍
 
Im glad theres someone else who agrees that its a good media payer - How can I find out how much MB my pc has, or better still how much Ive used already and how much Ive got left ??
 
Windows Task Manger ( Press Ctrl - Alt - Del on your keyboard).

Then goto the Performance tab.

Edit: I just finished upgrading to iTunes 4.6.
 
Use MusicMatch to rip CDs. Then use WinAmp to play them.
 
iTunes is good. Like sUn i've never used anything else since starting with it. Can't stand winamp.
 
Have you tried the equalizer pre-sets in iTunes, donbenni?
 
No not really. I haven't played around with iTunes much, because i haven't had to. I think that's why i like it so much. It doesn't require messing with to get it to do the sort of things i need. But EQ presets are generally the same on each player. The ones on iTunes are ok.
 
BigJamesGTI
lerIm liking the fact that I can store the data from the CDs I have directly onto my pc - woohoo !!
Someone's a lil' late to the party. ;) (In other words, computers have been able to do this for years now.)

BTW, the bottom of the iTunes main window shows you how much space that playlist is using (select "Library" to see how much space all of your songs take up).
 
Close to 2000 songs and over a week. Probably around 5GB. :D
 
I find itunes to be klunky and a heavy user of ram on my pcs. With a 6500 song library, it's almost too much for the program to handle. I usually stick with Foobar2000 because it has all most of the same features of iTunes and winamp combined but has a very very very minimal memory footprint. Only thing lacking with it is poor support for skins.
 
I don't have days or weeks worth of music, however, I do have 85 songs, 5.6 hours, and 379MB. I think it's time to update my list with a few more albums. :p
 
Sage
Someone's a lil' late to the party. ;) (In other words, computers have been able to do this for years now.)

BTW, the bottom of the iTunes main window shows you how much space that playlist is using (select "Library" to see how much space all of your songs take up).

Well Ive said it before and I'll probably have to say it again but my PC skills and knowledge are somewhat on the low side !!

Originally posted by emad
I find itunes to be klunky and a heavy user of ram on my pcs. With a 6500 song library

So maximum of 6500 songs ??? The PC should be able to take 40 albums, I'll check tonight - thanks sUn 👍
 
BigJamesGTI
So maximum of 6500 songs ??? The PC should be able to take 40 albums, I'll check tonight - thanks sUn 👍

actually, my laptop started to hate me after the library was up to 2500 songs. It just so happens that my desktop has a lot more power and can roughly 6500 without chugging quite is much. Still, it's too taxing on system resources either way you look at it. I usually set my mp3 software to run in the background with universal keystroke commands set. This way I can be in a game and control the mp3 player without access to it's gui. Foobar's 5 meg memory footprint makes it the perfect choice for running in the background
 
Ahhh right - I started to get lost towards the end of the post but I think the best bet for me is to have a look tonight and see how much free space Ive got and how much Ive used. Is the RAM size any kind of a guide beause on the new PC I went for 512MB - is this a normal enough size ??
 
That's a fairly good amount of ram, I'm sitting at 256MB. For free-space you need to look at the size of your hard drive.
 
Back