I've come to the dark side, now give me those cookies!

Hello, yet another semi-prominent (though more in the early days and not so much lately) member of GTPlanet crossing over to Forza Land. Got myself an Xbox over the holiday along with FM3, FM4, and Horizons. I'm mostly on 4 and only offline so far, though I'll admit to enjoying the game about as much as GT5.

I've been reluctant to jump online quite yet as my G27 isn't compatible and I'm waiting until I can snatch up a new CSR, but I'll gladly link up just to cruise or clown around with some GTP guys (gamertag: GTP Enzo_Guy). For now I'm enjoying the offline game just poking about in the auction house, getting my bearings for tuning nuances, banging out a couple paint designs, etc.

Overall I'm impressed with FM4. It's a different game with a different focus so I hesitate to directly compare it to GT5, but as a muscle car fanatic I have to say that FM4 certainly delivers. I'm loving all those blue ovals and screaming Indians GT5 was lacking!

Welcome to Forza

I was in your shoes about 1 year ago. Having an XBOX and no wheel (I was waiting for the new CSR Elite to arrive). Please do yourself a favour and DONT buy the Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel. I have done this to pass the time. It was horrible.

To get some credits in the meantime you can "hire" a pilot for the races in event mode (it is the same like the B-Spec mode in GT5). This way you can play with the controller and at least watch the cars and tracks. And get some free cars that you can drive when you do get your wheel.

Did you buy a Live Gold membership? Because when not - your free 1 month membership will soon be gone. So please be aware that you will not be able to buy some liveries and tunings without a gold membership.

Welcome to Forza

I was in your shoes about 1 year ago. Having an XBOX and no wheel (I was waiting for the new CSR Elite to arrive). Please do yourself a favour and DONT buy the Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel. I have done this to pass the time. It was horrible.

To get some credits in the meantime you can "hire" a pilot for the races in event mode (it is the same like the B-Spec mode in GT5). This way you can play with the controller and at least watch the cars and tracks. And get some free cars that you can drive when you do get your wheel.

Did you buy a Live Gold membership? Because when not - your free 1 month membership will soon be gone. So please be aware that you will not be able to buy some liveries and tunings without a gold membership.

Thanks for the info, I actually held off on activating my Live Gold 1 month free deal until yesterday. After that I'll pick up the 1 year subscription. And no, I have NO plans on buying said Microsoft wheel. Already having a G27 that would be a step backwards.

A little about me is that I went to tech school for building race cars and currently work in a speed shop as technical advisor along with a little welding and fabrication work on the side. To say I live and breathe high performance cars is an understatement, so I understand good racing wheels cost money and I'm more than willing to wait as long as I must to obtain a good one rather than hastily purchase some junk contraption. I'm just racing with a controller for now to level up my affinity and get my hands on some good cars, I think I'm close to 100 (mostly muscle) cars by now.

As a side note to those who build cars in real life, I do free virtual engine dyno builds to spec out cam choice, head choice, and other such things so people can get the right part the first time. My software is capable of handling up to two turbos or blowers, variable valve timing, fuel injection or carburetors, and can handle motors from any corner of the globe given accurate data (and a good operator:P). My expertise lies primarily with older American V8 engines, particularly Pontiac and Ford FE blocks, though I'm willing to help with anything. What can I say? I'm living the dream and I love my job!:lol:

Welcome to Forza, Enzo_Guy!

I guess if you're coming from a wheel, it would be. Though I do have to say, I much prefer the Microsoft Wireless Speed Wheel over the controller, to me, it's a lot more fun, and I actually like it. :)

That's exactly how I started out, I even did the "GT5 thing", and figured out what the best races were for that purpose. :lol:

I later found out that there are much better ways to make money, particular with rivals and the AH, and simply through leveling up. There are plenty of threads on this issue. And this (careful, contains spoilers) thread lists all the prize cars, and how much these are in the dealership, so you can make a better informed decision when you get to it. When you get to level 30, though, ...
do pick the 1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, the 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 you can get for much cheaper in the AH.
Edit: Figured I'd better make this a spoiler, in case people want to be surprised by the prize cars.

Well, that said, add me on live, and I'll throw the latter your way as a little welcome gift, and I'm going to throw in a Enzo as well. Unless you've already got one?

Welcome to the dark side! I made the switch about 2-3 years ago, first played Forza, then purchased an Xbox, then ended up selling my PS3 because it never saw use. Forza took over :)

Welcome!!! I too crossed over back in July 2012 and I am hooked! Aren't those Pontiac's awesome?! Wish there were a lot more and some AMC's too, again welcome!

Welcome!!! I too crossed over back in July 2012 and I am hooked! Aren't those Pontiac's awesome?! Wish there were a lot more and some AMC's too, again welcome!

I looked through the AMC list and there was no Eagle!:irked:

Although I REALLY wish they'd given us a '63 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty to run with that T-bolt and Dart (swiss cheese frame or not I don't care haha).

This is the dark side? Awesome! 👍

Count me among intensive GT5 fans who have grown weary and want something else, something more... I'm expecting my new Fanatec wheel tomorrow and then I'll be giving the new xbox and FM4 a go. So today is my "last" day playing GT5 for a while (if all goes well in FM4). My background, well I'm a 5-day road racing graduate (Bertil Roos) and indoor karting enthusiast. I also drive a car that has a 6-speed manual, LSD, UHP tires, 200hp fun. I have high hopes that Forza will give me some sense of the joy that I've experienced racing in real life. You know, that feeling of "oh, so this is what a car is supposed to do".

Oh, man, I hope it lives up to the hype for you FNG.

But of course we all know it will :lol:

Hi UKMikey, yes so far FM4 is awesome. As long as we're not talking about the CSR wheel :lol: Or the super-width rendition of the Nordschleife for that matter ;) But all the things that were really bugging me in GT5 are crushingly well done in FM4 (I've been driving the Zakspeed Viper a lot, it's awesome and sounds amazing ... pretty cool to drive the car that actually took me around the 'Ring back in '07). The hood view is perfect on every car, the sound is amazing, and the physics are more complete and realistic most of the time. The feedback is the biggest thing that's not so great, but I'm scared to go for the next best Fanatec wheel (which costs 3x what the CSR did)... It's really really hard to get a clean lap without driving too conservatively, the wheel just doesn't communicate what's happening.

Back