Jak II

• Thread starter milefile
  • 10 comments
Anyone ever gotten into this game? This was given to me a good two years ago by someone who was frustrated with it. He couldn't get past the scooter flying. Since then I have given it a few go's, and also gotten frustrated and let it go. But this time, for whatever reason I have kept going.

I like the game because of the plot, the look and feel, and the game play.

I hate the game because of the difficulty, and the length between continue points. This, to me is the worst. A mission will take so many attempts, and when you finally get to where you think you've nearly completed it, you die, and start back where you were 20 minutes ago and have to repeat too much. This is where the frustration comes in. Having to go back too far when you die. Grr. Makes you want to put it down, not keep playing. Takes a lot of determination I guess.

Great fun, I've completed it many times. The first time was hard and frustrating, but I played it with my kids so we could take turns.......... The second time I finished it alone in probably less then 30 hours.

Very similar to Ratchet and clank to me 👍

I had all three Jak & Daxter games (and have recently been buying them again via eBay). It has been a while since I played the second and third ones, but I recall that - though they're good - the original had the most charm and was the best. I also recall being marginally confused by what actually happened between the first and second games...

I hate the game because of the difficulty, and the length between continue points. This, to me is the worst. A mission will take so many attempts, and when you finally get to where you think you've nearly completed it, you die, and start back where you were 20 minutes ago and have to repeat too much. This is where the frustration comes in. Having to go back too far when you die. Grr. Makes you want to put it down, not keep playing. Takes a lot of determination I guess.

I haven't played Jak II, but this specifically is one of my biggest video game pet peeves. There are games that are ridiculously well-made and polished in almost every respect except save-point locations - before lengthy speeches, in game FMVs (that's an obsolete term, isn't it?), and just generally too far apart.

I don't understand what makes developers screw this up - I assume it's got something to do with last minute programming and deadlines.

It has been a while since I played the second and third ones, but I recall that - though they're good - the original had the most charm and was the best. I also recall being marginally confused by what actually happened between the first and second games...

I will echo this. I kind of wish they didn't go down the Jak II path. I was frustrated at a couple of parts in Jak II. It got pretty ridiculous. I actually took a break for several months from the game and finished it later. But Jak III had a much needed improvement in difficulty and fun factor. I would rank it there with the first one. I wouldn't blame anyone if they skipped the second game. I think they took the whole "more mature" thing too far. Jak III was a nice balance.

They are great games, they are the only non-racing games I ever bought other than the Ratchet and Clank series. Shame I had to trade them in.

Ah yes. Five year olds. I woke up at 7:30 today to discover the my son had been up for a while paying Jak II. No biggie. We each have our own save. He has been envious of mine because I have an extra gun, the one with the blue clips. So I told him he could play my save if he wanted (I was at the part where you take the heir to the pumping station). He said he couldn't find it. So I looked, and lo-and-behold, he saved his game three times, one of which was over my game. As if the game didn't make me repeat enough! Grrr. I have confiscated the games and memory cards and will be keeping track of what he does now. This was not the first time. I had a challenge mode of Up Your Arsenal saved and he lost that, too.

Ah yes. Five year olds. I woke up at 7:30 today to discover the my son had been up for a while paying Jak II. No biggie. We each have our own save. He has been envious of mine because I have an extra gun, the one with the blue clips. So I told him he could play my save if he wanted (I was at the part where you take the heir to the pumping station). He said he couldn't find it. So I looked, and lo-and-behold, he saved his game three times, one of which was over my game. As if the game didn't make me repeat enough! Grrr. I have confiscated the games and memory cards and will be keeping track of what he does now. This was not the first time. I had a challenge mode of Up Your Arsenal saved and he lost that, too.

Yeah, we've had that happen too, a few years ago. My elder daughter was a great gamesave hijacker. Great to see you on the boards, incidentally.

I can't even remember if we finished Jak II. My wife (who is a great platform/shooter player) is not that fond of flying/racing games. The little bits that were in J&D were fine, but not enough to practically build the whole game around like JII. We got probably 80% of the way there, and just got tired of spending all night switching seats to get it done.

If you've lost your JII save, don't bother restarting it. Go buy the Greatest Hits Jak III, which is much better than II. There is still vehicle driving to be done, but it is less annoying and repetitious. Jak X takes a part of that and makes a game of it, but it didn't hold our interest long.

On the distance between save points issue, the all time worst has to be Black. You can literally go 90 minutes of tough fighting between save points and have to redo it all if you get greased during the final assault.

Hey Duke. Nice to see you still here.

I think I have to agree with Famine in that the original had more charm and as one of the first games I played on PSII it retains a sentimental place. If JakIII is more like it then I am definitely interested.

I have tried to regain that perspective in JakII and I only get it in a few parts... the mountain temple, Haven Forest, etc. I actually was relaxed by the sounds of the ocean in Jak and Daxter. The wind in the Jungle, the birds and such. Like a meditation tape.

That mission where you have to break into the Palace and destroy the weapons arsenal, and a tank chases you all the way there? Way too hard. I can't even count how many tries that took.

Last edited:
Well DUke, you were right. I picked up Jak III a week ago and it is really good. Far less frustrating, far more fun and varied. I like the way you go from Sparga to Haven City and back and forth. The driving challenges are a nice touch, and the enhanced guns are cool, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now, if I have played Ratchet and Clank Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal, which should I do next?

Have you played the Sly Cooper series? Those are in the same vein and are a lot of fun too. More of a funny-animal game and less of a weapons-based game, but a lot of fun as well. The cel-shaded graphics are kind of cool, too. Ohh, and Rayman: Raving Rabids is fun too.

Other than that, I'd try Katamari. Totally different premise, but also highly entertaining.

Back