VTiRoj

Howdy 🤠
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
RoJJieE
mb6roj
Japanese 90’s Challenge – Cr.15,000 Budget

I decided that I’d do the Japanese 90’s Challenge in a car worth the total prize money for the event, Cr.15,000. Most of my profit would come off the prize car’s selling value this time.

How I spent the money

Starting budget – Cr.15,000
Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR ’97 – Cr.6,677
Oil – Cr.50
MA0297 wheels – Cr.500
Weight reduction stage 1 – Cr. 1,100
S3 tyres – Cr. 6,200
Sports flywheel – Cr.430
Left to spend on mods – Cr.43

Car stats

175bhp @ 7,500rpm
122.81ft.lb @ 7,000rpm
996kg
5.706 pwr

Rewards

1st place: 3000 (x5 = 15,000)
(Not writing the other positions because well, as if I’d make a report of me coming in any place but 1st :P)

The results

Race 1 – Apricot Hill / 3 laps
A-Spec points: 133
Finishing position: 1st
Total time: 5’25.775
Margin of victory: +3.810 (Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) ’95)
Best lap: 1’45.007
Comments: I was given this win. I fought my way past 3 Preludes and another Mirage, only to see the first place Civic go off onto the grass as I pass by on lap 2. Thanks.

Race 2 – Grand Valley Speedway East Section Reverse / 4 laps
Total time: 5’35.788
Margin of victory: +1.782 (Honda Prelude Type S ‘96)
Best lap: 1’20.756
Comments: Same grid as Apricot, so naturally the result was the same. Although this time the Civic was bumped down to third as one of the Preludes took second. I took first on lap 2 under braking into the final hairpin. I gave the Prelude a slight nudge to get in front of its rear wheel and get an advantage into the corner.

Race 3 – Twin Ring Motegi – East Short Course / 3 laps
Total time: 5’28.125
Margin of victory: +4.588 (Honda Prelude Type S ‘96)
Best lap: 1’46.234
Comments: Again the same grid as before. Managed to get past the Prelude by braking later than late itself for the tight right-hander before the bridge.

Race 4 – Special Stage Route 5 Reverse / 3 laps
Total time: 5’30.291
Margin of victory: +1.584 (Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) ’95)
Best lap: 1’46.966
Comments: Same grid again? They must love me or something. Easy race this time, manage to nab first at the first S corner of lap 2.

The finale of this 5 race challenge. My Mirage may handle like a housefly, but it has the top speed of a goat. With Fuji’s huge straight, I would either have to get a huge lead in the corners, or resort to cheating at the 80’s areas. Lets hope the latter doesn’t happen. But if I have to, I will.

Race 5 – Fuji Speedway 90’s / 3 laps
Finishing position:
Total time: 5’58.458
Margin of victory: +0.177 (Honda Prelude SiR ‘96)
Best lap: 1’55.069
Comments: Same grid as before, but they seemed… slower this race. I took the leading Prelude on the first lap, on the first “hump” of Fuji as I call them. I didn’t even need to cut the chicanes either! :D Didn’t stop it from being one close finish though. I didn’t block for your information, the Prelude was too busy scrapping with the Civic to bother trying to overtake me.

Prizes

Along with the full Cr.15,000 that I got from 5 solid wins, I also won a Nismo 400R in yellow. I sold it for Cr.25,499 though, as I already have 3 yellow ones. Making my total prize money…

Cr.40,499!!!

A profit of Cr.25,542 over my initial spending of Cr.14,957.

Total A-Spec points: 665

Picture gallery

Well I didn’t save any replays to take pictures from, but I did take this picture, at home in Beacon Hill.

Mirage03.jpg

The moral of the story

If you want to win this race and make a profit without selling the 400R, just buy an Impreza for Cr. 9,617 (+Cr.50 for oil change) and leave it standard. :P

Would I do it again? Would I change anything?

I would do it again, but only with something a bit cheaper and a bit faster, but cut the budget right down. Like spending Cr.10,000 on a Silvia Turbo or something.

Thanks for reading! 👍

Not a bad go there roj....good win, the Me-Ra-Ghee isn't the easiest car to go fast without many mods, but when it gets going it's actually not a bad car. :)

I reckon an S15 Spec R would be an alright go there but a bit overkill too at the same time, like the Rexy would be. $10250 for a 40000km version, oil change, flywheel, chip & either sports I/C or sports exhaust would be fittable in the remaining $4750.

Maybe the Starlet GT '97 would be a good choice. $5050 for the 60000km version. ;) And a good heap of money to spare for mods.

Not a bad go there roj....good win, the Me-Ra-Ghee isn't the easiest car to go fast without many mods, but when it gets going it's actually not a bad car. :)

I reckon an S15 Spec R would be an alright go there but a bit overkill too at the same time, like the Rexy would be. $10250 for a 40000km version, oil change, flywheel, chip & either sports I/C or sports exhaust would be fittable in the remaining $4750.

Maybe the Starlet GT '97 would be a good choice. $5050 for the 60000km version. ;) And a good heap of money to spare for mods.
I have a 220bhp tuned Mirage and its quite a pocket rocket. :D Definately some potential in those cars.

PAL doesnt get cheap S15 Spec R's like NTSC does :grumpy:, although the S14 and S13 are just as good for the price you mentioned.

I was thinking about the Starlet, but the Mirage popped up at such a low price, I didn't want to risk letting it go.

Nice little report there VTiRoj, and I'm glad to see you left the car with essentially it's stock HP without resorting to massive turbos or NOS to get the job done! Would've liked to see a little more detail for each race such as where you made your passes on each of the AI contestants, rather than just the results though. :)
Look forward to reading more if you do decide to go for the budget-budget (10,000Cr) attempt! 💡

Nice little report there VTiRoj, and I'm glad to see you left the car with essentially it's stock HP without resorting to massive turbos or NOS to get the job done! Would've liked to see a little more detail for each race such as where you made your passes on each of the AI contestants, rather than just the results though. :)
Look forward to reading more if you do decide to go for the budget-budget (10,000Cr) attempt! 💡
Yeah, using NOS or stupid amounts of power in budget cars ruins the point of them for me. :yuck: Much better to simply improve the car rather than make it into a wheelspin monster with a giant turbo. :sly:

Definately going for the Cr.10,000 attempt! :D I got my eyes on a couple of cars (namely the Starlet Glanza V as suggested by Mafs and the S13 K's '88 which I has become a favourite of mine for budget challenges). I'll try and add more detail too. 👍

Awesome write-up. I noticed you raced against what seem to mostly be front-drive cars..you'd have more of a challenge if you allow some of the rear-drives to show up, but i agree: racing within a budget changes everything. 👍

I have a 220bhp tuned Mirage and its quite a pocket rocket. :D Definately some potential in those cars.
Yeah, but it's circuit potential, not drag. :yuck::sly:

PAL doesnt get cheap S15 Spec R's like NTSC does :grumpy:, although the S14 and S13 are just as good for the price you mentioned.
Umm, roj.....I own a PAL version. ;) Check S15 Spec R (turbo) that's OVER 40000km's in used late '90's. It costs 10,250. The S15 Spec S (NA) actually costs more.....about 3000cr. more for the same amount of k's on the clock.
'97 model S14 you can get for just over 9000 and just under 9,000 for a '93, both with 60000kms+.

I was thinking about the Starlet, but the Mirage popped up at such a low price, I didn't want to risk letting it go.

It's not that low, you can get a '97 Civic w/60000kms for the same price, the Starlet saves 1500 off both of them. :D

Yeah, but it's circuit potential, not drag. :yuck::sly:
Drag, pff. :rolleyes:

Umm, roj.....I own a PAL version. ;) Check S15 Spec R (turbo) that's OVER 40000km's in used late '90's. It costs 10,250. The S15 Spec S (NA) actually costs more.....about 3000cr. more for the same amount of k's on the clock.
'97 model S14 you can get for just over 9000 and just under 9,000 for a '93, both with 60000kms+.
There is? You sure? I've never seen one myself. :confused: I'll go look for one then. 👍

It's not that low, you can get a '97 Civic w/60000kms for the same price, the Starlet saves 1500 off both of them. :D

6k is pretty low in Gran Turismo. :P Damn stop finding such cheap cars, or I'll hire you to find me them!

Awesome write-up. I noticed you raced against what seem to mostly be front-drive cars..you'd have more of a challenge if you allow some of the rear-drives to show up, but i agree: racing within a budget changes everything. 👍

It was a full FWD grid. I tried against a RWD grid but I got completely wasted by a Silvia S13 K's. Not worth the hassle for 20 more points.

Some people love living their life 400m or 1000m at a time. :sly:

I'm currently doing the El Capitan enduro as I type this message (on Lap 16 at the moment, paused for 2 minutes to type of course!), and I'm having an easy time dispatching this Motorsport Elise with my TCv3 Silvia just to see how it would go allround. ;) 200pts. here I come if I don't screw it up.....already made 1 mistake on the pit entry but still leading. :embarrassed:

Write up will be in it's own thread. :)

Some people love living their life 400m or 1000m at a time. :sly:

I'm currently doing the El Capitan enduro as I type this message (on Lap 16 at the moment, paused for 2 minutes to type of course!), and I'm having an easy time dispatching this Motorsport Elise with my TCv3 Silvia just to see how it would go allround. ;) 200pts. here I come if I don't screw it up.....already made 1 mistake on the pit entry but still leading. :embarrassed:

Write up will be in it's own thread. :)

Well I'll be damned Mafs, I'm also doing El Capitan as I type this! On lap 47, leading by over 50 seconds in a stock NSX-R! :D I'm also writing the write up as I race too. I'll post it later. 👍

:lol: That's a funny co-incidence then Roj. Be good to compare races then. :)

BTW, on Lap 38 now, 25.004sec lead.....getting same tyre life as Elise (11 laps per stop), and this race would be over already if it weren't for the mistakes I've made during the race. :embarrassed: It will make for some mad pictures though. :D:idea:

:lol: That's a funny co-incidence then Roj. Be good to compare races then. :)

BTW, on Lap 38 now, 25.004sec lead.....getting same tyre life as Elise (11 laps per stop), and this race would be over already if it weren't for the mistakes I've made during the race. :embarrassed: It will make for some mad pictures though. :D:idea:

Yeah it will. :)

What tyres you running? My NSX-R gets 13 laps a set of S1. :sly: Currently on lap 65 leading by well over 50 seconds.

I'm doing an S1/S2 combo front/rear. Even with this, the S1's are wearing out quicker than the S2's. :odd: Camber + Toe Angle = HUGE tyre wear!!

There is? You sure? I've never seen one myself. :confused: I'll go look for one then. 👍

6k is pretty low in Gran Turismo. :P Damn stop finding such cheap cars, or I'll hire you to find me them!

It was a full FWD grid. I tried against a RWD grid but I got completely wasted by a Silvia S13 K's. Not worth the hassle for 20 more points.

well, just so you know, it is possible to do FWD versus RWD races, with you being the FWD. I've done plenty of those. Try and get the Miata, MR2, or Silvia to start no higher thn 3rd place. This way, by the time you're nearing the front, so is the RWD car, and that last lap becomes a heated battle!

If a rear-drive car is in 2nd or 1st place at the start, then it will typically jackrabbit far ahead of everyone else, so i try to discourage this in my game cuz i prefer close races between several ai at once.

edit: I'm not sure if it's possible to do this with a FWD within your budget....i'll try it later on and see.

Back