Jaws Returns!! - Apricot Hill 200km Race Report (1971 Datsun 240Z) [WIP]

• Thread starter Falcon787B
  • 0 comments
United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
So, here we go again.

I've been on this site since 2007, and I've owned this game since 2001. Am I ever going to stop coming back to either? I think not. :P

So over Christmas, I decided it would be fun to do a double-header stream on my Twitch channel playing Gran Turismo 2 on a clean save game. Rough theme for the game would be; a focus on RWD JDM machinery (to build a drift team - inspired by Team Fool from Japan, mine is called Team Pleb!), and only using used cars or prizecars where possible. And slowly, I started exploring my favourite part of any Gran Turismo game - the enduros, and variety of close races that can be had. Eventually, it was time to revisit one of my favourites from GT2, and the site of one of my earliest race reports on this forum - the Apricot Hill 200km.

Apricot Hill 200km Endurance Race

OR

JAWS RETURNS!!

OC_tr_Apricot_Hill.gif

(as always, thanks to the great AMG for the track map!)

50 Laps, 120 Miles. Pit Window 15-18 Laps.

Home to many a formidable adversary, with one looming over them all - the Ford GT40, aka 'Jaws'. :scared:

If the GT40 doesn't show up, the race is fairly easy and competitive. If the legendary Ford does show up, though? You better be ready for a race-long battle. It's not invincible by any means, being a vintage race car allied to the PD AI (who are absolutely ATROCIOUS at Apricot Hill's Turn 2 for some reason?), but the fact we're in a race full of road cars up against basically a race car by any other name makes it a formidable adversary. I've beaten this race before in a Mazda RX7 GT-C, taking advantage of the GT40's tire wear and occasional mishaps on said worn tires to pounce for victory in a car that on raw pace could just about hang with Jaws. Now, it's time to do it again - in a car almost as old as the big Ford:

Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z (240ZG)
Bought: Used for $23,179 from Nissan Dealership
Engine: 2.4L Inline-6
Horsepower: 318HP
Weight: 989KG
Tires: Sports
Color: Grand Prix Maroon
Modifications: NA Tune Stage 3, Racing Exhaust, Sports Brakes, ECU, Engine Balancing, Port Grinding, F/C Gearbox, F/C Suspension, F/C LSD, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Carbon Propshaft, Weight Reduction Stage 1.

Up against the following grid rolling off for 50 laps of Apricot Hill!

1. 1966 Shelby GT350
2. 1994 Aston Martin DB7 COUPE (it's in caps, just in case you missed that)
3. 1996 Jaguar XK8 Coupe (not in caps - go figure)
4. 1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R34)
5. 1969 Ford GT40 :nervous:
6. 1971 Datsun 240Z (moi!)

Back