JGTC300 vs JGTC500

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 10 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
JGTC300 vs JGTC500
Japanese Hall / Japanese GT Championship

Inspired by Defkon's EXCELLENT Write-up, found HERE:...POST #8

I thought I'd give this series another try. Last time thru I used the BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01 which was only good for about 60 A-Spec points & NOT a lot of competiton. Since Defkon had already used the TOYOTA Celica WedsSport I opted for another of the VERY Under-utalized JGTC "Jr" rides. I'll NEVER understand why PD goes to all the trouble to include these cars & then doesn't give them a series of their own? :confused: I picked the Amemiya Asparadrink RX7 (JGTC) '04 since I'd driven the Arcade version briefly & really liked it. As per Defkon's Write-up R-3 tyres were fitted & although I didn't plan on using either, I purchased the only NA upgrade available plus a Stage 3 Turbo. I did MINIMAL Chassis Tuning, just the normal "Starting Point" I use for FR Rides & opted NOT to use the "Tranny Trick" changing only the "Auto Set" for each venue. Horsepower remained constant at 340.

The opposition I drew for this round included:

HONDA Takata Dome NSX
HONDA Raybrig NSX
NISSAN Motul Pitwork Z
TOYOTA Denso Sard Supra
TOYOTA Castrol Supra

Unlike the field drawn by Defkon this one only had ONE Dominant Opponant the Hard Charging NISSAN! :eek:

These figures: Finish = Place / Race Time - Fast Lap. MOV = Margin of Victory (Where applicable!)

Race #1 Tokyo Rte 246 (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / :dunce: About 1'35, forgot I was supposed to run sans HP Boost! Removed the NA upgrade & started the Race. :dunce:
Finish 2nd / 8'18.749 - 1'38.089 (Lap #?)
MO "Loss" -4.103' Seconds (Motul) 👎

The Classic "They eat me up on the straights but I'll get 'em back in the corners" scenario. With the Standing Start I dropped to 4th by the First Corner. Regained the lead by T-2 & held it for most of the race. The NISSAN Motul car's tyres finally warmed & just gradually put distance on me down the main straightaway.

Race #2 Suzuka East (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 0'49.954
Finish 1st / 9'56.597 - 0'49.114 (Lap #6)
MOV +7.265 Seconds (Motul) 👍

Figured I'd exact some "Revenge" here for my poor showing at Tokyo. Although a couple of the more powerful "500" rides got by me before turn one they were dspatched well before the right turn onto the main straight. The "AI" just does NOT handle the "Esses" here well. A "Convincing" if not too "Rewarding" Victory.

Race #3 Seoul Central (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 0'59.973
Finish 1st / 9'51.003 - 0'58.073 (Lap #9)
MOV + 2.501 Seconds (Motul) 👍

Nothing special...blah, blah, blah..."AI" doesn't seem to like this venue! They really seem to have a problem with the Hairpin around the City Gate. With the Looong straights I really expected more of a battle. :irked:

Race #4 Fuji 90s (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'32.263
Finish 1st / 9'05.919 - 1'29.667 (Lap #2)
MOV + 0.104 Seconds (Motul) 👍

Not at all sure what happened here. Absolutely "Smoked" 'em from the Flag Drop & then in the last two Laps the NISSAN Motul started to REALLY close the Gap! :eek: I had to find a "Creative" line on the final straight to secure the Win & was pleasantly surprised that he didn't "Rear End" me like the "AI" normally does.

Race #5 Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 0'36.852
Finish 3rd / 7'21.xxx - 0'35.920 (Lap #6)
MO "Loss" -1.6xx Seconds (Motul & Dome NSX) 👎

I'm sure a better driver could have won this race. I was able to get 'em EVERY Lap thru the "Big End" but the lack of downforce really hurt at the "Other End." I have no idea how many lead changes there were but there were LOTS! If my right front tyre hadn't started to "Go Away" about Lap#8 I "Might" have been able to beat them! :irked:

Race #6 Laguna Seca Raceway (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'28.969
Finish 1st / 10'18.791 - 1'26.174 (Lap #5)
MOV + 2.714 Seconds (Motul) 👍

NO WAY I was gonna let 'em beat me here since LSR is the only GT4 Venue I've had the pleasure of running a Lap around in real life! (Albeit the "Old" layout!) Went slightly wide TWICE :irked: thru the left after T-2 or the margin would have been more. I DO however like the way that with the new physics, ANY contact with Sand WILL Slow you down! 👍

Race #7 Hong Kong (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'23.368
Finish 1st / 12'18.757 - 1'21.397 (Lap #8)
MOV +1.263 Seconds (Motul) 👍

Good Race at one of my favorite "New" Venues but with the lack of Long Straights the more powerful "AI" couldn't make up any ground until the final Laps. Once again the pesky NISSAN Motul was coming on strong at the end...but NOT strong enough! :lol:

Race #8 Twin Ring Motegi Road Course (198 Points)
Qualified 2nd / 1'56.392
Finish 2nd / 11'32.343 - 1'54.202 (Lap #6)
MO "Loss" -21.942 Seconds (Motul) 👎

WOW!!! I'm still not sure what happened here. Qualified VERY near the leader with the wrong "Auto Set" so adjusted it & started the race. About 4th into the first turn & by the time I worked my way back to second the Leader was GONE! All I could do was make sure I kept the Denso Sard Supra in my mirror. Very disappointing as I ran nearly the entire race "By Myself!" :(

Race #9 Fuji 2005 GT (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'41.092
Finish 1st / 10'01.774 - 1'38.470 (Lap #6)
MOV +2.142 Seconds (Motul) 👍

Got another bad standing start & dropped to third before the first corner but managed to regain first when the NISSAN Motul was hit hard by the Denso-Sard SUPRA & I slipped thru on the inside.:eek: Had to watch the replay to see what transpired. Guess I owe some "Thanks" to the Supra as the Motul dropped to fouth & just cruised there until Lap #3. He finally started to make his move & was running 2 seconds per Lap faster than I was but he'd waited too long. My tyres finally warmed to where I like them & the final two laps were my fastest. No where near as close as the other Fuji finish! I've got exactly a 10 point lead going into the final round so only a "Finish" is required to win the Series! 👍

BTW: I just noticed (I've run quite a few laps here) that there're apparently NO T-Times on this course! :eek:

Race #10 Suzuka (198 Points)
Qualified 1st / 2'05.603
Finish 1st / 10'23.529 - 2'02.776 (Lap #4)
MOV +0.180 Seconds (Motul) 👍

ANOTHER Bad standing start, blah, blah, blah...third (Nearly 4th! :eek: ) into turn one but right on the NISSAN's tail by the end of the esses. Then he went wide at the "Hairpin" & I got thru on the inside. I could pull out nearly a 2 second lead but he'd eat up most of it on the long uphill straight. Fortunately the "AI" seems to have trouble with the Chicane before the Start/Finish Straight & I'd put about a second on him there every Lap! 👍 Lap #4 he really started closing in & by the end of the back straight on the final Lap he just barely got cleanly past me. I was able to Out Brake him going into the chicane & get by...but NOT by much! :eek: The last 1.5 Laps were the best Racing of the whole series!

FINAL RESULTS:

Amemiya Asparadrink RX-7 // 86 Points
NISSAN Motul Pitwork Z // 72 Points
TOYOTA Denso Sard Supra // 36 Points
HONDA Takata Dome NSX // 29 Points
TOYOTA Castrol Supra // 27 Points
HONDA Raybrig NSX // 10 Points

A-Spec Points: 1386
Credits: 205,000 +
Prize Car: NISSAN Motul Pitwork Z 👍

Final Mileage (+2 Laps @ Most venues for warm up & qualifying) 226 Miles.
THANX for wading thru it & hope it will help someone out. Let me know if you spot a mistake, I'm VERY adept at using the EDIT Function! :lol: ...O.G. :D

That's the exact car I used for the JGTC. I tried using the Cusco Subaru but that was unable to catch anything on Motegi SS. Nice write up though.

Great one!

Have to give PD credit for at least making it possible to set up a competitive race. Question is, shouldn't there be some way for the game to do this for us? Seems like we should be able to just select a difficulty level and let the game throw something at us. You know, like most other games: Easy, Normal, Hard, Legendary. For that matter, you can set the difficulty in Arcade Mode, so why not GT Mode?

But at least it can be done if we use our imaginations a little...

Excellent write-up OG. How did you manage to battle for the lead at the super speedway? During practice I toyed with downforce, but I made up my mind and decided I'd better take the tighter turn throtle wide open. So I kept maximum downforce on the Celica.

Defkon
Excellent write-up OG. How did you manage to battle for the lead at the super speedway? During practice I toyed with downforce, but I made up my mind and decided I'd better take the tighter turn throtle wide open. So I kept maximum downforce on the Celica.
THANX Defcon! 👍
I'm a big Fan of Downforce & must say that my biggest disappointment w/GT4 is how much DF has been "LESSENED" this time around. IMO they've REALLY hurt the Vertigo & ZZII (among others I'm sure) by giving them such Low DF! :irked: I ran Max DF at all venues changing ONLY the Auto Set to suit. I may try Super Speedway again w/R-2s on the front just to see what happens! The "AI" runs a rather "Strange" line thru the "Big End" which is partly why I could catch them there..."IF" I just could have held the inside at the "Little End" I could have beat them! ...O.G. :D

Ive run this repeatadly with my castrol toms supra (01') with ballast set to about 40 and it gets me aobut 90 a-spec points depending on the competition, aobut 98 one time with both the nissan motul pitwork Z and the Nismo Xanavi GT-R<- actually quite a fun time as their was also another Castrol Toms Supra, older one tho, and was trying for a team points championship kinda thing, but my 'teammate' let me down.

VTRacing
Nice write-up 👍

Did you notice that your total race times for races 9 and 10 were identical 10'01.774 ?

Amazing
THANX VTRacing! 👍 Even I can't read my handwriting! :irked:
Stats corrected! ...O.G. :D

Back