Job Question...

GTP_GTPrologue5
None
I'm 15 years old and most recently I've been wanting to get a job because A. My summer has sucked and B. I need some money. I've spent some time looking at things like working papers and that but what I have to ask is, is there anywhere in which they cannot hire me due to my age? I'm in PA so I don't know if it's different anywhere else, but I'm curious.

GT_Prologue5
I'm 15 years old and most recently I've been wanting to get a job because A. My summer has sucked and B. I need some money. I've spent some time looking at things like working papers and that but what I have to ask is, is there anywhere in which they cannot hire me due to my age? I'm in PA so I don't know if it's different anywhere else, but I'm curious.

Try a golf course. I'm 15 too and I was able to get a job at one in North Carolina. And some food service establishments take 15 year olds as well. Hope I could help 👍.

EDIT: And who knows, maybe you could turn out like Danny Noonan from Caddyshack :lol:.

A lot of places won't hire you because your age may not be flexible for them, as there's a few laws regarding to the type of labor & time you can work. I would try fast food or major department stores. You'll be competing with some slightly older folks (esp. in the summer where the college kids come back), but they may be your best bet.

McLaren
A lot of places won't hire you because your age may not be flexible for them, as there's a few laws regarding to the type of labor & time you can work. I would try fast food or major department stores. You'll be competing with some slightly older folks (esp. in the summer where the college kids come back), but they may be your best bet.

Yeah, when I began looking my age ruled out over three quarters of the places I could work. One of my friends got some sort of "early work permit" and started working at McDonalds when he was 14. He now has more money than he knows what to do with. Maybe you should look into that 👍 .

More money than he knows what to do with?
Working at McDonalds?
:boggled:
:lol:

Being 14, I might have to look into that...

This. It'll be pretty tough to get a job thats for sure. But first places to try should be your local fast food places. Try the smaller "mom and pop" type fast food places first, then go for mainstream ones.

One thing to keep in mind when filling out any application. Be as open as humanly possible. Every day of the week should be open for you to work. It gives you a much better chance of getting hired.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your parents probably have plenty of old friends that live in the area with businesses that could use a familiar face. Ask your parents if they know any friends with businesses that might pique your interest.

There are all sorts of tips and tricks to getting a job, these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

gogatrs
Working at McDonalds?

Well I mean, minimum wage here is over $8 and he is somewhat stingy. And as was just said, family friends are always good. I can think of four on my street alone 👍.

Best paying job for you would be labouring on a building site if you have any family that work in the construction industry, you work hard but get paid well for it, Its also good becuase you get a solid workout at the same time.

Me personally I would try stay away from food establishments, works hard, pay's crap & you will probably be turned off food for the rest of your life.

If neither is an option then try out some local grocery stores, easy work, moderate pay, overtime potential & flexible work hours, to easy.

Type S Tony
If neither is an option then try out some local grocery stores, easy work, moderate pay, overtime potential & flexible work hours, to easy.

Yeah, this would work also. About 5 of the guys on my lacrosse team worked at the same Food Lion this year, it was crazy. I walked in and saw four of them and thought it was a prank :lol:. And basically when you walk in asking for an application, they have a uniform ready for you, according to them.

Working at McDonalds?

When you don't have bills, any decent paying job can bring in a lot of cash.
Best paying job for you would be labouring on a building site if you have any family that work in the construction industry, you work hard but get paid well for it, Its also good becuase you get a solid workout at the same time.
Building sites may be hard. He may not be hired for safety reasons unless the owner takes him anyway. It's what a friend of mine does for his father's building business, & his father is the only reason his 17 year old brother was hired (but given limited jobs).

Yeah, this would work also. About 5 of the guys on my lacrosse team worked at the same Food Lion this year, it was crazy. I walked in and saw four of them and thought it was a prank :lol:. And basically when you walk in asking for an application, they have a uniform ready for you, according to them.

The good thing about it is that its clean work, Your not really getting to dirty or comming home smelling of greasy food. Customer interaction is minimal also which is a big + in any job.

When you don't have bills, any decent paying job can bring in a lot of cash.

Building sites may be hard. He may not be hired for safety reasons unless the owner takes him anyway. It's what a friend of mine does for his father's building business, & his father is the only reason his 17 year old brother was hired (but given limited jobs).

yeah I know what your saying, it would definantly be harder to find this type of work but if you look hard enough im sure you could land something, Only reason i really refer to it at all is becuase not only does it whip you into shape & pay well but you will also learn valuable life skills so your not completely hopeless when it comes to say putting up a couple of shelves or something, i.e. It will make a man out of you

Don't do newspapers, they don't pay good, and they require a bunch of work, if you live next to buildings, they require to them, but that's not enough so they will make you do another house blocks, so in total, you have to pull twice the average amount. You're lucky if you don't have to do that. But the pay is terrible for what you do. If you're 11-14 do it. I hope you won't have to deliver shampoo samples, that's the worst. :lol:

I was also hoping to get a summer job, but being only 14, I was informed that I was too young. I hope that's wrong, but I haven't been able to find one nevertheless.

I'm 15 and I mow my neighbors lawns twice a month. That's my summer job and my local little league will let me work the snack bar.

Peter.
I was also hoping to get a summer job, but being only 14, I was informed that I was too young. I hope that's wrong, but I haven't been able to find one nevertheless.

Well in Canada it is 15 minimum age. I used to referee hockey and umpire baseball for money.

I highly suggest enjoying yourself at 14. You've got the rest of your life to work. If your desperate try department stores and fast food places but frankly most people won't hire a 14 or 15 year old.

Why if they can hire an 19 year old for roughly the same wage and who can drive themselves to work, need the money so are forced to work harder, and are (in very general terms) more mature would they hire somebody 4 or 5 years younger.

Please do trust me that McDonalds is NOT a nice place to work. Plenty of friends through high school tried it out. Cam yes minimum wage is $8 bucks here too but guess how much you make for your first 500 "training hours"? Oh about 5 or 6. When you get to 500 your "bumped" up to 8 and then stripped of pretty much all shifts. There is a reason they are a massively successful company and it's not just the fries.

Last edited:
At the age of 15, there aren't really that many employment opportunities out there. You'll probably have to wait until next year or even the year after to have a real chance at getting a job. But you could consider volunteering. It doesn't pay, but it will get you out of the house, and you'll feel good doing it. When I was 16, I volunteered at a local old folks home. I passed out snacks, played games, and listened to a bunch of really old stories. It was actually quite pleasent once you get over the smell. Old people are really nice. So that's something to think about.

Or you could sell one of your kidneys if you're really strapped for cash.

How the world has changed.

I started as an apprentice electrician when I had just turned 16. Still doing the job now after doing alot of extra schooling (more than when I was at school) to keep up with the trade. I'm now qualified in three trades.

Making quite a tidy sum too. :sly:

Cheers Shaun.

Summer's already halfway over at this point. I'd recommend enjoying the time off while you still can!

I'm not totally sure what the rules are in Pennsylvania, but in Maryland the minimum age is/was 14 (not to say that younger people don't work at places that pay under the table), and until turning 18 you have to get a work permit from school and have an administrator and your employer sign off on it. There were restrictions on the number of hours you could work and stuff like that. So you might want to look into that stuff first anyway.

I didn't work until I was 16 and could drive myself because there was no way my parents were going to shuttle me around. First job that summer was doing boat rentals at a lake in a state park, then at the end of the season I got a job at the local Harley Davidson dealership cleaning bikes. I worked there doing detailing (and later IT work with the owner) until finishing college. I still do some work for him on the side from time to time.

Summer's halfway over but my neighborhood friend is also looking for a job too.

Luckily I live near my town's "Main Street" (Peach Street, we call it) and there are plenty of plazas around. I can't work at a convenience store because of tobacco products. I'm just trying to find one where I'd be able to walk to work, even in our awful winters. Here's an idea of what's nearby:

-Dollar General
-Pizza Hut
-Subway
-Mama Mia's (hometown pizza place)
-Play World (local electronics store)

And there's probably more places because I can't name them all, just a general idea of what's in the area.

Ah, job hunting eh? I got to start printing resumes (can't do accents) and put myself out there. I'm going to attempt to get an after school job at a store close to my high school. Good luck bro!

I got to start printing résumés (can't do accents)
That's yet another thing Google is good for. ;)

- - - - -

At 15 years old, I was kicking back watching Batman and X-Men. :D

My first real job was working after school at a decal shop when I was 16-17. I had a paper route before then but it sucked as I was, and still am, not a morning person.

Try a bar or hotel. I had a summer job in a hotel last year, made my conclusion that everyone there was a douche and got one in the rival hotel.:lol:

It is a tourist based village however so it's probably easier for me to get a job then you yanks.:sly:

Why people actually come to my village is beyond me.:boggled:

I never thought about it when I was that age, but summer jobs were easy to find where I grew up as a teenager. Of course, being a resort with a high unskilled labor need, you could pretty much just walk down the street and get a job on the beach somewhere. I rode my bicycle to work when I was too young to drive, and also when I was too poor to have my own car. I never worked during school, just during the off months of summer.

Being old enough now to watch step-kids going through jobs I can tell you that food service is the easiest to get. Wait tables, bus tables, but they won't let you in the kitchen preparing food at that age. Grocery stores are OK but somehow they have better retention of their staff, less turnover, so fewer chances to slip in when someone leaves.

Retail places will have age and maybe time-of-day requirements you can't comply with.

Not much else out there with the skill set you have at 15 . . . .

Working at McDonalds?

Yeah when you have zero expenses because your parents pay for everything - minimum wage is a fortune.

You're 15 - why a job? When I was 15 all my summers were spent training for sports. Why don't you go out for a high school team or two? You don't have to be good to have a good experience. Just be part of the team and enjoy yourself. Colleges love it, too.

Running papers is god-awful.... especially when you have to deliver papers to a neighbourhood where everyone leaves their front door open with their dog sitting there.

Try a warehousing job, bit of physical labour. That was one of my best summers working with my Grandad, driving the sideloader forklift (Completely illegally lol) and unloading a 40ft container filled with car trims. :D

Back