Joypad steering needs to have an option to turn off damping

• Thread starter Mike1985
  • 11 comments
Slovenia
Slovenia
So, currently Im playing with the DualSense controller and no matter what settings you choose, there is always some kind of damping on the steering, you can see it when using the cockpit view. The steering is not 1:1 in real time. I know this is nothing new in Gran Turismo, but there should be an option in the settings to turn this completely off. I think it would make for more accurate steering when using the controller.

I havent tried with a wheel yet, as far as I know, the steering is not dampened ?

The problem with the controller is that even if I set sensitivity to maximum setting (level 7), it still doesnt turn as fast as I turn the joypad stick.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Soon I am planning to buy a wheel, probably T300 RS, and then I will see how that goes.

They could still ad an option to turn it off, for those players who want it turned off. I have bought a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel and dont have that problem anymore :)

So, currently Im playing with the DualSense controller and no matter what settings you choose, there is always some kind of damping on the steering, you can see it when using the cockpit view. The steering is not 1:1 in real time. I know this is nothing new in Gran Turismo, but there should be an option in the settings to turn this completely off. I think it would make for more accurate steering when using the controller.

I havent tried with a wheel yet, as far as I know, the steering is not dampened ?

The problem with the controller is that even if I set sensitivity to maximum setting (level 7), it still doesnt turn as fast as I turn the joypad stick.

Soon I am planning to buy a wheel, probably T300 RS, and then I will see how that goes.
Same issue here... While we wait (hope...) they'll fix it, you can reduce the problem a little in slow corners, like deep forest hairpin or laguna seca last corner, hitting shortly the handbrake. There is a video on youtube about it, I don't know if I can post the link here

They could still ad an option to turn it off, for those players who want it turned off. I have bought a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel and dont have that problem anymore :)
Yes, but it's not normal on consoles. Only few games have it like AC, ACC, PC1 and PC2.

I don't see any real reason to take it out... after all, some of the world's best players can play on the pad and hit top-notch rounds. In my opinion, it's a common myth that you can't steer fast enough with the pad, but you can with a steering wheel. Whereas NOBODY doubts that, for example, oversteering the vehicle is usually easier and better to catch with the pad. I'm sorry, but the "excuse" that a pad would prevent you from cornering corners that are made by steering wheel drivers is absurd. 99.99% of the time it's the driver's fault and not the pad/game.

I don't see any real reason to take it out... after all, some of the world's best players can play on the pad and hit top-notch rounds. In my opinion, it's a common myth that you can't steer fast enough with the pad, but you can with a steering wheel. Whereas NOBODY doubts that, for example, oversteering the vehicle is usually easier and better to catch with the pad. I'm sorry, but the "excuse" that a pad would prevent you from cornering corners that are made by steering wheel drivers is absurd. 99.99% of the time it's the driver's fault and not the pad/game.
It's normal gamepad support. If you want raw steering, try ACC without steer helper. It's completely different from any GT. GT7 is good enough because they tuned it a bit. GTS gamepad support was really bad.

Highly doubt anyone would give up that assist, but this would be a good reality check for controller users who think they have it bad.

I have to totally disagree about GTS being bad on a controller, just no.
It's not uncommon but it's not for usual casuals. I don't use it because I like it hard. :D

No, it was way easy, like for kids. For instance rear heavy cars had understeer because game didn't allow you to steer more. It's not in GT7 anymore which is great.

Highly doubt anyone would give up that assist, but this would be a good reality check for controller users who think they have it bad.

I have to totally disagree about GTS being bad on a controller, just no.
Yes, I've been using it (DS5) completely on one of my 4 accounts whilst getting the daily mileage tickets. Most of the time I have (or could) match my wheel times and I wouldn't say I'm a good controller player and I'm up to the S licence (yet to start) so far without any major problem and all gold times. :)

The pad is slower in only a few certain combos, at least for me, rain in particular and any combos with high speed corners, (IA-8) for instance, it does not like those.:boggled: Other times though I think it's quicker, certainly the stuff on that corner on the Alsace Test Track, it destroys my wheel there, just hugs the inside with ease. :eek:

So when I see all the posts about wheels being an unfair advantage it's not quite true, maybe the top quality wheels are but the T150 and probably the Logitech stuff too, then it's not really true. Sure it's feels like a completely different game, the actual times, not so much. :indiff:

:gtplanet::cheers:

You would have to be an extraordinary human to be able to turn the wheel as fast in real life as 1:1 on the joypad.

Joypad steering without damping is completely impossible. The only thing it would do is have people turn it off because they "don't want any assists", crash constantly, then come here and whine that the physics suck. You just can't replicate the rotation of a real steering wheel with the 2cm range of motion of a control stick.

Back