JrDarknes 240sx

• Thread starter JrDarknes
  • 331 comments
United States
Indianapolis,IN
JrDarknes
Hi, my name is Lawrence King II. I'm 17 and own a 1991 Nissan 240sx. Now a 1993 Nissan 240sx.

Been into cars since I was six. My Dad owned a 1996 Toyota Supra TT.

image.jpg

This is during the first year of having this car. Only picture I can really find of this car unless I went over my dads house and searched. My dad has owned plenty of sports cars. His first was a white Nissan 200sx (S12), then he got a Grand National, eventually got a Third generation Blue Toyota Supra, Later got a 300zx (Z31). After that he told me my mom said he could not get a sports car because me and my sister were priority. A few years later he broke that promise real quick. He told me while we was staying in Kentucky, before heading back to Indiana. He saw a Toyota Supra for sale (the one pictured above). He bought it immediately and drove it home. My mom was very upset.

This sparked my interest in cars immediately. It was so fun riding passenger side in that car with the targa top. Unfortunately after I think 3-4 years of that car he sold it for a Porshe Boxster. He sold the Supra for 16,000. The guy bought it for his son, he drove from Chicago,Illinois and gave my dad a fat check.

My Dad later sold that Boxster and bought a very old classic Cadillac. Which has been in storage for a while. So basically the order goes like this.

Classic Cadillac > Porshe Boxsster > Toyota TT Supra > 300zx (Z31) > Toyota Supra MKIII > Grand Natinoal > 200sx (S12)

Once I got my Drivers License. I told myself if anything, I'm getting me a Japanese sports car. I didnt care what I had to do. My mom defiantly did not approve my dad was all up for it. After working a long hard summer at Burger King I had bought my first car. A
1991 Nissan 240sx SE.

image.jpg

It has a rebuilt motor (rebuilt 43K ago), primer and needs a new rack and pinion.

68hnci.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, that Supra's pretty clean. Been a while since I've seen a clean MKIII. As for your 240SX, hope to see what future mods you will do to it. 👍 :)

Looking good, that Supra's pretty clean. Been a while since I've seen a clean MKIII. As for your 240SX, hope to see what future mods you will do to it. 👍 :)

Yea the supras and Mr2's are rare where I live because its snowy in the winter and stuff.... I plan on getting the kouki spoiler and taillights then work on the engine a little. Once that, get bride racing seats and just keep working on the engine.

Last edited:
Maaco Summary:

I've heard tons of stuff about maaco. Terrible things like if you go into a car wash the paint will wipe away and etc. Being on my budget though and school wise I just decided to give them a shot and in all honesty Its not as bad as people made it seem.

Basically If you want a really good paint job like. For instance if you get close to it you want NO DEFECTS. Dont go to maaco. If you want a really nice paint job and dont mind the little stuff (like you can barely see it until you get really upclose) Then get maaco. (It honestly looks very shiny and better in person) Also I paid the 520$ all together, 100 Dollars just to patch the nissan emblem and radio attenna hole

Picture of it coming from maaco
2ntxs77.jpg

My 240 and my friends supra
25ey8id.jpg

ml4i76.jpg

34osz7a.jpg

2q99yth.jpg

I've seen a few Maaco jobs and they can look REALLY good. Maaco are decent at shooting paint quickly, they do it all the time. What they're not so good at is masking and preparation. The more preparation you can do, the better off you are. For the price, they absolutely cannot be beat.

Car looks GREAT in those pictures; sweet ride man! :)

I've seen a few Maaco jobs and they can look REALLY good. Maaco are decent at shooting paint quickly, they do it all the time. What they're not so good at is masking and preparation. The more preparation you can do, the better off you are. For the price, they absolutely cannot be beat.

Car looks GREAT in those pictures; sweet ride man! :)

Yea I was actually more satisfied than I thought I would be.

Looking good! Great colour choice. :sly:👍

Thanks!

Cool car!

Of course, the inevitable question whenever someone gets their hands on one of these: will you be drifting it? :sly:

Cool car!

Of course, the inevitable question whenever someone gets their hands on one of these: will you be drifting it? :sly:

Yea especially when indy gives track days.

So, now that the outside lookd nice what does the engine bay look like?:sly:

Engine was rebuilt 40,000k ago.Everything is mostly stock. Its honestly the part where I really need help on because I don't know alot about the engine and I want to boost the HP a little bit without buying turbo =I.

Depends how much you wanna spend, really. The first thing I would do is a new intake, then ECU and finally exhaust. I would go for both manifold and cat converter. Its really all about air and exhaust flow. The more flow that is possible, the better for the engine, as its not restricted. The pipes shouldnt also restrict flow either. Don't exhaust systems come in kits or something?

Before you do any of the above mentioned things, get an LSD.

If I had the chance to redo my car, knowing full well that I planned to drift it, I would have stuck an LSD in it before anything else.

Make the car "driftable" and then do anything else.

Good god man!!!!

Great looking paint btw. 👍 Let us know how it holds up over time, that's a shop thing and the best, as well as the worst, can have inconsistent results.

Regarding HP, Drifting, etc.

Ask yourself how serious you are about drifting.
If you want noticeable increases in response and control at the limit then an LSD is the way to go.
If you want theoretical HP then buy the intake/ecu... A car driving one wheel is an obese motorcyle.
Had a hard time finding just the right pic...
attachment.php

Last edited:
I like it a lot better than the primer grey that you had before! 👍

I'm going to echo the sentiment that you should pick up an LSD. My E30 started with a 2.79 open differential and it was timid about cornering. I swapped it for a 3.25LSD and installed 225/60R15 tires all around, at which point it would just eat corners for breakfast.

slowman
I'm going to echo the sentiment that you should pick up an LSD. My E30 started with a 2.79 open differential and it was timid about cornering. I swapped it for a 3.25LSD and installed 225/60R15 tires all around, at which point it would just eat corners for breakfast.

Can you get any LSD or does it have to be a 240sx one. If so are they any others compatible with it?

You dont need power to drift.
Learn how to drift with the stock KA, get better.

Then when you swap a SR (dont turbo the KA, unless you plan on fbuying new motors ALOT) you'll good to go.

Can you get any LSD or does it have to be a 240sx one. If so are they any others compatible with it?

I don't know about compatibility between models (for example 300ZX -> 240SX) but I do know that a 240SX differential with an orange sticker above the fill hole is an LSD and one without the orange sticker is not. I don't know too much more about 240's but that gives you something to go on anyway. Look for the 4.10 if you don't mind sacrificing some gas mileage and top speed to gain acceleration (assuming your current diff is of a lower ratio). I don't know if Nissan provided a tag or stamp to say what the ratio is on the casing but you can rotate a rear wheel

Edit: Here, found more information --> http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/fun-with-legal-lsd.html. I can't personally verify or vouch for this information but I think it's fair to say that the Nissan/Infiniti Owner's Club knows more about 240's than I do. After giving it a read, this seems to be pretty straightforward and you do have some ratio choices. Like I said, I think a ratio around 4.10 is the shortest you'd want for the street. Any shorter and you'll be turning 4000 rpm on the interstate and that's no fun. If you plan for more power or an SR20DET swap in the future, try to find a ratio around 3.40 - 3.60. I don't know what's available though and I have exhausted any Nissan knowledge I have. The good thing about owning a common and popular car is that any modifying you may want to do, someone has already done and has probably documented it somewhere.

With any luck you may already have one! Tried to do a burnout? Do you leave one long black strip or two short ones?

Also, if you're a nerd about mechanical things like I am, you'll enjoy this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=gIGvhvOhLHU

Last edited:
& If you decide to drift, dont keep it at stock height.
NO ONE likes a stock 240sx.
Slam it, get some BN Aero, maybe even a full kouki swap and some nice wheels.

After you master drifting to the point you no longer crash into things EVERY TIME.

Keep it sideways, keep it pretty, keep it low.

Dude, he's a highschool student, he doesnt have lots of $$$ to spend. Lets keep things cheap and simple. For now, I'd say to get some small and cheap power gains and an LSD. Maybe a strut bar or something small can do for the suspension if he's got the $$$. Afterall, it would be wise just to get used to the car without any upgrades, and then buy some parts as he gets better.

& If you decide to drift, dont keep it at stock height.
NO ONE likes a stock 240sx.

Suspension work is overrated as long as the stock stuff is in good shape. Learn how to work with what you have, then upgrade.

Slam it, get some BN Aero, maybe even a full kouki swap and some nice wheels.

After you master drifting to the point you no longer crash into things EVERY TIME.

Keep it sideways, keep it pretty, keep it low.

THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER ABOUT A CAR IS
1. HOW LOW IS IT 2. WHAT AERO DOES IT HAVE 3. WHAT WHEELS ARE ON IT. HORSEPOWER IS OVERRATED.

Meanwhile your actual car:

1. 4x4 status
2. Stock + damage
3. Stock + spraypaint

I'm just sayin'.

---

I'm going to echo PB here, LSD is a hell of a drug. Or really, not just having the inside rear go up in smoke and do a whole lot of nothing is a hell of a drug.

Stock diff ratio is already a 4.08 or so, I wouldn't suggest going any shorter really (not much point), just stick an LSD in it and get used to how it reacts as it is. Then start on the rest.

It'd be pointless to slam it, put wide(r) tires on it, etc etc when it'll have enough trouble lighting up what it has. It might be easier to drift with a "proper" suspension setup but it isn't a necessity to learn what you need to; the less you spend now, the less you cry if you kill the thing or get bored of what you think you want to do.

You need to get one for the 240sx. There are a few interchangable ones, but if you're buying it, why not buy the ones that fits?

I don't know about compatibility between models (for example 300ZX -> 240SX) but I do know that a 240SX differential with an orange sticker above the fill hole is an LSD and one without the orange sticker is not. I don't know too much more about 240's but that gives you something to go on anyway.
Don't bother going this route. This is just to get the factory Viscous limited slip, which is trash to being with, and at this year and mileage, most of them don't work anymore anyway.

Suspension work is overrated as long as the stock stuff is in good shape. Learn how to work with what you have, then upgrade.
I agree to an extent, but I don't at all think suspension work is overrated. Sure, you shouldn't ever blame your car or depend on your suspension to make the car do what you want it to do, but a nice set of coilovers (no point to bother with struts/springs on a 240. They have about 6 inches of wheel gap factory and no amount of strut/springs can fix that horrible look) does wonders for the stability and driveability of a 240sx.

My suggestion is, in this order:

LSD
Coilovers
Racing seat/steering wheel
Everything else. Power mods, wheels, ect.

Thanks for the help everybody. I seriously appreciate it.

My suggestion is, in this order:

LSD
Coilovers
Racing seat/steering wheel
Everything else. Power mods, wheels, ect.

Yea I'm going to have to go with this order. Last question. Does the LSD also help out in the snow? I was reading about it more in depth and since it powers both wheels do I honestly need to get snow tires for my car or no?

Meanwhile your actual car:

1. 4x4 status
2. Stock + damage
3. Stock + spraypaint

I'm just sayin'.

---

I'm going to echo PB here, LSD is a hell of a drug. Or really, not just having the inside rear go up in smoke and do a whole lot of nothing is a hell of a drug.

Stock diff ratio is already a 4.08 or so, I wouldn't suggest going any shorter really (not much point), just stick an LSD in it and get used to how it reacts as it is. Then start on the rest.

It'd be pointless to slam it, put wide(r) tires on it, etc etc when it'll have enough trouble lighting up what it has. It might be easier to drift with a "proper" suspension setup but it isn't a necessity to learn what you need to; the less you spend now, the less you cry if you kill the thing or get bored of what you think you want to do.

My car is not 4x4 status, it's on lowering springs, and it's not stock so whats your point.
2. Im waiting on the insurance.
3. Spray paint where? On My stockers? I run 18x9 Rotas regularly in the summer, so I'm alot more flush than you are.

I can care less about this car, it's not a drift car you idiot.
It's guaranteed I can build a better car than you can x100.

Also, let me rephrase what I said.
I said after he got better at drifting. Which could take a year or more.
Unless he's drift king.

So if he dosent find a job to support his car in 2 years, then he's doing it wrong.
coilovers+aero+nice wheels is around 5 grand.
Maybe.

He should do that after he learns how to drift and gets good just in case you didnt understand.

I've had my car since February.
Kept it stock for 2 months, baught lowering springs(horrible) put on an exhaust, then bought my Rotas for 600+tires
My car isnt stock and it isnt 4x4.
Unless your frame bangin, dont throw that 4x4 insult at me

Last edited:
Yea I'm going to have to go with this order. Last question. Does the LSD also help out in the snow? I was reading about it more in depth and since it powers both wheels do I honestly need to get snow tires for my car or no?
Snow tires will do far more for you in the snow than the LSD will, but yes it helps. If you've ever seen a car stuck in the snow, trying to get out and just keeps spinning one of the wheels, open diff is why. But the best lsd in the world won't help you if your tires simply cannot grip in the snow.

A welded diff is a different story though.

Back