• 21 comments

Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
The wife and I are gonna leave the kids with the grandparents for week this summer. We'll be visiting the UK together for a few days, then I'll jet off to Germany to tackle the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Truth be told, I'm not much of a fan of this track in multiplayer sim-racing. The races just turn into either crash-fests or the field is so spread out I may as well be hotlapping. However, I do adore the track's lore and I quite enjoy turning laps in single player here.

I'll be renting a Hyundai i30N Performance car from RSR Nurburging. While it's not a monster car like a Porsche and other offerings they have. I also have a budget, and this track is gonna be sublime no matter what car I drive. Plus, I don't want to have any risk of losing control, safety first and all.

- Setup -

For my Playstation equipment, I'm using the PSVR2 with a DOF Reality P3 motion sim rig. And in my efforts to find a car that is most similar to the i30N, I found the VW Golf VII GTI '14 to be a very close match. Here's a comparison of their specs, and I read on some random Reddit page that Comfort Hard tires may closely match those in real life. Being they are the worst tires in the game, I figured, why not and if they feel grippier in real life, bonus! Both cars will be LHD cars too. Specs link: https://fastestlaps.com/models/hyundai-i30-n-performance:

Hyundai i30N Performance '21SpecVolkswagen Golf VII GTI '14
HatchbackTypeHatchback
Inline 4 CylinderEngineInline 4 Cylinder
1,998Displacement (cc)2,033
280HP279
392Torque370.5
1,476Weight (kg)1,476
4,340Length (mm)4,274
1,795Width (mm)1,801
1,445Height (mm)1,420
TCAspirationTC
FFDrivetrainFF
260Top Speed (kmh)260

NOTE: The weight is a range of a couple hundred kg (1,444kg - 1,509kg) so I split the difference down the middle. The rest of the car specs outside of the torque difference are spot on; less than an inch difference in wheelbase, dimensions, hp, aspiration, all much to my surprise.

I'm hoping to get a few things out of this experience:
- Further dial in my motion sim rig to better reflect real life
- Compare GT7 vs real life
- Have fun!

After my set of laps, I'm going to make some notes on what tweaks my motion rig needs to make to better reflect the undulations, turns, curbs, etc. There is one caveat and that is that I can't provide more 'Roll' (side tilting if you will) because of the black and green barrier aka 'prison cell' as I call it. This is labeled as 'Max Angle' in the Sim Racing Studio app.

Let's say you are driving a car on High Speed Ring or Daytona and you are about to drive on one of those high banking, camber rich turns. If/when the motion rig tilts too far in either direction, the VR headset will flicker/switch to a black background with green bars all around you. That is until you tilt your head to be more upright to 'cancel' it. So there's some compromises to be made with the Roll aspect in my current sim rig settings because of this.

What I might end up doing, just to mirror real life as much as I can, is to have two settings; an 'IRL' setting with no compromises and a 'I might race on Daytona/HSR setting. We'll see.

But first, I need to turn the laps in real life, and before that, I need to put in some practice laps to continue to build that muscle memory for my comparison notes after the real session.

Coming back to the VW Golf car, here's items I've bought and installed. In my discussion with RSR Nurburgring and what I can read online, there are some handling upgrades for this car, specifically low end torque:
- Comfort Hard Tires
- Sports Suspension
- Low RPM Turbo Charger
- Sports Brakes
- Sports Brake Pads
- Sports Clutch & Flywheel
- Bore Up Engine Tune
- Full Control Computer ECU (tuned down to 99)
- 86kg Weight Ballast (centered)
Top speed is set to 260kmh as noted in the specs website above
422.41 Performance Points
No setup changes, left as default

- GT7 Practice -

As for the practice laps, I want to keep the car stock so that I adapt to the car and track. And, if the car happens to be better tuned, bonus! I also haven't driven a stick shift in far too long, so I've opted for the automatic transmission in real life. I normally drive MT in GT7, as well as left-foot brake. To better prepare myself, I've swapped the brake and clutch pedals back to their original position on my Clubsport v3 pedals. So I'll be right footing this whole thing.

I'll be keeping a list of my best laps leading up to our vacation. I'm hoping to get a couple things out of that:
- Track my improvement between now and then
- Build more muscle memory in my sim rig, specifically to bring the changes between GT7 and real life to light
- Build confidence

I'm clearly not expecting to get a time anywhere near my GT7 lap times. Rather, I want to better mirror real life settings for my motion sim rig.

GT7 Hotlaps:

If there's anyone who wants to compare lap times for fun, hit me up. I won't be leaving until July 21st. More to come as time goes on, especially after the race day! I'll see if they have a GoPro option to record my lap, it'd be fun to do a side by side. That is if I ever figure out video editing.

- Sim Rig Settings -

Sim Rig Notes:
- Current GT7 Sim Race Studio Settings:
PlatformMax Angle55
Overall Smoothing76
Reaction Speed100
Boost0
EffectsPitch8/7
Roll17/7
Yaw0/1800
Lat G Sway13/13
Long G Surge Accel19/6
Long G Surge Accel19/12
Vert G Heave15/6
Engine Haptic1
RacingTraction Loss Rear17/8
Wheel Slip/Lock4
Rumble strips4
ABS Lock4
Smoothing EffectsPitch3
Roll3
Yaw0
Sway3
Surge3
Heave3
Traction Loss Rear0
AdvancedMin Traction Loss Rear Activation0
Min Traction Loss Fron Activation0
Gear Smoothing Factor25

- New Motion Sim Settings -
- TBD

Jerome

Last edited:
Nordschleife.

Good luck though! Have fun :D
991cc8bb42dd2d1f49c9e0c5c415a72c_w200.gif

Jerome

Good luck!
I think you're in for a bit of an eye opener! GT7 is good enough for learning the circuit, where the turns are etc, but the reality is very different.
Just how steep the the ups and downs are, the blind crests and corners, the off camber corners, they will all take your breath away the first time you do a lap.

RSR is a great place to hire a car from, if you can afford it I would recommend getting some tuition while you are there.
Lots of people go there thinking they know the track because they've played it in GT or some other game, they go out trying to do hot laps straight away and end up in all sorts of trouble.

It's an amazing place and you will have an amazing time, I'll look forward to hearing all about it. 👍😁

Last edited:
This is cool JUMP Ace, have fun dude, tell me if you see a little Misha walking around and take a quick snap for all of us fans!

Enjoy the hyundai and it performace, but the real nurburg will be very tricky so take care and have a good time! I would reccomend this video to enjoy and watch!

ZEE
This is cool JUMP Ace, have fun dude, tell me if you see a little Misha walking around and take a quick snap for all of us fans!

Enjoy the hyundai and it performace, but the real nurburg will be very tricky so take care and have a good time! I would reccomend this video to enjoy and watch!

Ace, be conservative. Crashing is bad. ;)

It is awesome that you are able to do this! My wife doesn't want to anything like this until all of the children are gone so that's at least another nine years 🤣 🤣 🤣 . Anyway enjoy yourself. Remember it's okay to drive the 1st lap like a grandma :lol:

kjb
It is awesome that you are able to do this! My wife doesn't want to anything like this until all of the children are gone so that's at least another nine years 🤣 🤣 🤣 . Anyway enjoy yourself. Remember it's okay to drive the 1st lap like a grandma :lol:
Oh, I'll be Driving Miss Daisy for sure, probably the first two laps :lol:

Jerome

RSR is a great place to hire a car from, if you can afford it I would recommend getting some tuition while you are there.
This is great advice!

Even though I was very familiar with the virtual track, I took advantage of an instructor for my first few tourist laps and it was well worth it. I still remember much of the advice he gave me, and use it when driving the circuit virtually.

This is great advice!

Even though I was very familiar with the virtual track, I took advantage of an instructor for my first few tourist laps and it was well worth it. I still remember much of the advice he gave me, and use it when driving the circuit virtually.
I sprang for the all day event where we meet as a group in the morning, tour the track, see a nearby museum, grab lunch, and do some driving that evening (5pm-7pm). I will ask about having an instructor there, for the first hour-ish. Thats a solid idea fellas. I also did ask them about using a GoPro, hopefully they say yes.

Jerome

Last edited:
This is awesome Jerome! :) This has opened up my memory to the year 1987 and my first trip to Europe. My heritage is German - both Mother and Father - I visited Stuttgart and the Porsche factory / museum as well as rented a 1987 911 for 24 hours on the Autobahn. I can not believe I was so dumb not to go to Nurburgring (and SPA for that matter)! :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh well, I will live vicariously through you! :bowdown:

This is awesome Jerome! :) This has opened up my memory to the year 1987 and my first trip to Europe. My heritage is German - both Mother and Father - I visited Stuttgart and the Porsche factory / museum as well as rented a 1987 911 for 24 hours on the Autobahn. I can not believe I was so dumb not to go to Nurburgring (and SPA for that matter)! :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh well, I will live vicariously through you! :bowdown:
RSR has an RSRSpa option and I quickly asked the wife if she'd like to visit Belgium and I got a simple, 'Nope.' 💔 So maybe the next time we visit Paris or something I will try to drive on LeMans and Spa and round the trio out :lol:

Jerome

Last edited:
Nice one and awesome preparation. Hope you have fun. Im there next weekend, but for Rock am Ring than driving the track.
Don't forget, the curb in the left hander after the Fuchsröhre can't be cutted anymore :D

I realized that I had some incorrect in-game settings enabled for some reason that I can't remember. I had ASM, TCS and Counter Steering assists all on. I ran another lap and trimmed another couple seconds. It is actually a sublime combo. To get some more feedback, I also cranked the FFB Max and Torque to 10 each. Now its easier to feel when I'm at grip in the car.

Jerome

Last edited:
The i30 will be a wonderful car to start off with, and it has more than enough potential to get people into trouble if they overstep thier boundaries.

The trip you are taking is my dream trip, so have fun for all of us! As far as in game practice, try to used the aids that mimic what you'll use in the car, or none at all (besides ABS). I'm sure the i30 has some form of TCS, and of course ABS, but I'm not sure about any others.

I'm not sure I agree with CH tires being comparable to what the Hyundai runs. They come with a Pirelli UHP Summer tire, which will likely more resemble a SH or SM tire. CH tires are like bargain basement, super hard garbage tires, not anything resembling a performance tire. From a quick web search the RSR cars are running Michelin PS4Ss, a very high performance all season tire... there's no way a CH tire matches the capability of it. I find that frequently people seem very confused about how the in game tires stack up to their IRL counterparts.

I wish we had the car in game to make some more direct comparison. The Golf being somewhat similar, it should be capable of lapping right around the 8 minute mark.

Congratulations, and have fun!

The i30 will be a wonderful car to start off with, and it has more than enough potential to get people into trouble if they overstep thier boundaries.

The trip you are taking is my dream trip, so have fun for all of us! As far as in game practice, try to used the aids that mimic what you'll use in the car, or none at all (besides ABS). I'm sure the i30 has some form of TCS, and of course ABS, but I'm not sure about any others.

I'm not sure I agree with CH tires being comparable to what the Hyundai runs. They come with a Pirelli UHP Summer tire, which will likely more resemble a SH or SM tire. CH tires are like bargain basement, super hard garbage tires, not anything resembling a performance tire. From a quick web search the RSR cars are running Michelin PS4Ss, a very high performance all season tire... there's no way a CH tire matches the capability of it. I find that frequently people seem very confused about how the in game tires stack up to their IRL counterparts.

I wish we had the car in game to make some more direct comparison. The Golf being somewhat similar, it should be capable of lapping right around the 8 minute mark.

Congratulations, and have fun!
Interesting! I'll throw on some SH tires and see how it feels. The one thing that really made me think the same thing in the back of my mind was a tutorial vid of someone at RSR doing a lap. Granted, he is a 'pro' so to speak, but the car never seemed difficult to control at any point. Couple that with another assumption; they want to have decent tires on the car so everyone is safer. I gotta think there's some truth to that for these rental cars.

So, coming back to the tire selection, I'll definitely put on some SH tires and turn some laps, I'm sure it will be a cake walk as it wasn't too hard in the CH tires. I just had to mind my brake zones.

Jerome

I helped @Marcus Garvey update some tire data he'd been collecting since probably GT6. His report and conclusions are detailed in the below posts.

I helped @Marcus Garvey update some tire data he'd been collecting since probably GT6. His report and conclusions are detailed in the below posts.

Awww snap. This looks juicy, thanks man!

Jerome

I am liking the SH tires on this car, I'm going to use them going forward. The car feels fantastic to drive. I also uploaded my most recent best lap. It's not perfect, but it feels good and can't wait to churn more laps later.

Jerome

Back