Jurassic World: Evolution

• Thread starter dylpro
  • 14 comments
United States
Illinois
dylpro98
Just curious if anyone around here has gotten a chance to play the game and offer up some opinions on it.

It was originally on my release day buy list but decided to hold off in anticipation of some reviews. I’m teetering back and forth now, but if you’ve has played it I’d love to hear what you think!

Have you played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis?

It's basically that but with modern day graphics, a few differences here and there.
Obviously it's in the Jurassic World setting and there are less attractions for your guests, but all in all I find it quite entertaining.
Dinosaurs look beautiful and the animations are well done.

That's my current opinion after playing quite some time on the first two islands.

The reviews I've read aren't that promising, I think I'm passing on this at least until it comes down in price a lot.

I've only watched let's plays from Nerdcubed but I have to say the ability to drive around your park and take photos of the dinos is really selling it for me. That said, I'll wait for a sale.

Have you played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis?

It's basically that but with modern day graphics, a few differences here and there.
Obviously it's in the Jurassic World setting and there are less attractions for your guests, but all in all I find it quite entertaining.
Dinosaurs look beautiful and the animations are well done.

That's my current opinion after playing quite some time on the first two islands.

Actually that was what I was hoping for most:D

The reviews I've read aren't that promising, I think I'm passing on this at least until it comes down in price a lot.

I read the IGN review and it got hammered there but I’ve seen some more positives from other sources.

I’m still not 100% sold on it at the current price. It’s only digital right now so I may hold out for the hard copy and order it on Amazon with the prime discount.

Whether to get this or not depends largely on what you're looking to get out of it. The best way I can describe the gameplay at large is JPOG meets Cities: Skylines - you're still building a dino park, but you've got to actually manage it as well. If that sounds good to you, you won't be disappointed. It's kind-of lacking a proper Operation Genesis-esque gamemode as of right now, but this is Frontier we're talking about. Besides, what campaign is there is at least 30 hours, depending on how seriously you take it and how quick a learner you are.

Just.. word of advice before you dive in, forget everything anything's ever taught you about Ceratosaurus. I have, on more than one occation, had a relatively "pure" Ceratosaurus take down a significantly enhanced T-Rex. Savageratosaurus is more like it :lol:

Whether to get this or not depends largely on what you're looking to get out of it. The best way I can describe the gameplay at large is JPOG meets Cities: Skylines - you're still building a dino park, but you've got to actually manage it as well. If that sounds good to you, you won't be disappointed. It's kind-of lacking a proper Operation Genesis-esque gamemode as of right now, but this is Frontier we're talking about. Besides, what campaign is there is at least 30 hours, depending on how seriously you take it and how quick a learner you are.

Just.. word of advice before you dive in, forget everything anything's ever taught you about Ceratosaurus. I have, on more than one occation, had a relatively "pure" Ceratosaurus take down a significantly enhanced T-Rex. Savageratosaurus is more like it :lol:

This sounds just like my wheelhouse! Lately I’ve been playing A LOT of NHL18 Franchise mode. I love the management aspect of it and building and maintaining my team, so this sounds like something I’d really get into. JPOG was one of my all time favourite games, I’ve still got a copy I’ll pop in my battle-hardened PS2

Having an inner dilemma now. I would’ve bought the deluxe edition but I guess there is no deluxe hard copy.

That leaves me pre-ordering on Amazon for $48.00 and adding the deluxe content to end up at $60.00 July 3rd.

Or buying the deluxe digital for $65.00 and enjoying it now.

The only question is what will the game cost during the Prime Day sales that is probably going to be about a week after the hard copy release:scared:

Damn my frugality:banghead:

When this was first announced, I was excited. I once owned a PS2 copy of Operation Genesis, and I absolutely loved it. This looks very much like a successor to that. However, the early release for digital, and withholding finished content from the base game has deterred me from purchasing the game. If that is how they do things, then they don't deserve any sales.

When this was first announced, I was excited. I once owned a PS2 copy of Operation Genesis, and I absolutely loved it. This looks very much like a successor to that. However, the early release for digital, and withholding finished content from the base game has deterred me from purchasing the game. If that is how they do things, then they don't deserve any sales.

Ehh. That’s how most games are nowadays. In the end it’s 5 dinosaurs and the cost of the deluxe edition is $5.00 extra. It really doesn’t bother me. I think the price for the dinosaurs separately is ridiculous ($10.99 for 5 dinosaurs?!) which is why I’d opt for the deluxe edition if I end up buying it. There’s already a free DLC scheduled for the release of the movie.

As far as the whole earlier digital release goes, it’s basically just releasing the finished product when it’s finished. Instead of waiting to drop the digital copy when the physical copy gets shipped and stocked into stores they released it when it was ready. I’m actually surprised more companies don’t do this.

Ehh. That’s how most games are nowadays. In the end it’s 5 dinosaurs and the cost of the deluxe edition is $5.00 extra. It really doesn’t bother me. I think the price for the dinosaurs separately is ridiculous ($10.99 for 5 dinosaurs?!) which is why I’d opt for the deluxe edition if I end up buying it. There’s already a free DLC scheduled for the release of the movie.

As far as the whole earlier digital release goes, it’s basically just releasing the finished product when it’s finished. Instead of waiting to drop the digital copy when the physical copy gets shipped and stocked into stores they released it when it was ready. I’m actually surprised more companies don’t do this.

In response to the bolded part, how does that make it okay? Two people committing a crime does not magically make it not a crime. And yes, I'm aware that preorder DLC and so on is not a crime, I'm simply giving an example. It's poor business practice from a consumer standpoint. it's also a slippery slope. What if it was campaign missions? Would you be okay with actual story parts of a game being locked behind an additional paywall at or even before release? That is also a thing btw, just look at Alien Isolation.

As for the digital early release. I get what you're saying. it's logical. Yet it also feels like a slap in the face of people who buy physical games.

I told myself to wait for it to be on special....But my lack of self control with things like this and a small bonus from work means I brought straight away :lol:
I have only really put a few hours into it, but so far I'm enjoying it, still plenty of tricks to learn I guess. I can see why people are saying its over priced, it feels like it could have a bit more content for the price, but overall cant really complain.
I got my copy on Steam for PC and it looks good and runs good too.
As long as there is a bit of free DLC and paid DLC's aren't too expensive, there is some good potential here :)

In response to the bolded part, how does that make it okay? Two people committing a crime does not magically make it not a crime. And yes, I'm aware that preorder DLC and so on is not a crime, I'm simply giving an example. It's poor business practice from a consumer standpoint. it's also a slippery slope. What if it was campaign missions? Would you be okay with actual story parts of a game being locked behind an additional paywall at or even before release? That is also a thing btw, just look at Alien Isolation.

As for the digital early release. I get what you're saying. it's logical. Yet it also feels like a slap in the face of people who buy physical games.

It makes it okay because it's a free market place. This is economics, your crime analogy doesn't really equate. Who are the two people committing the crime in this case? One person is offering a good in exchange for a cost that another is willing (or unwilling) to pay. A rather negligible cost compared to other games out there.

If the consumers are willing to pay, they'll pay. If they're not, they won't. I don't know anything about Alien Isolation, but if that's the case maybe people shouldn't buy it. The devs will change their tune when they see it effect their dollars. Look at what happened with Battlefront 2. In this instance though, there's plenty of people who'll decide $5.00 extra is expendable enough for the content.

I get where you're coming from, but it's just about what people are willing to pay. I'm fine with paying $5.00 for the extra content, you're not. I'd never spend $30-$60 for the "Gold" edition of Assassin's Creed or Middle-Earth, but there's people who do.

And why would it be considered a slap in the face? In that case, is it not a slap in the face to those who buy digital that have to wait until the physical release to play a game that, for all intents and purposes, is ready to go?

It makes it okay because it's a free market place. This is economics, your crime analogy doesn't really equate. Who are the two people committing the crime in this case? One person is offering a good in exchange for a cost that another is willing (or unwilling) to pay. A rather negligible cost compared to other games out there.

If the consumers are willing to pay, they'll pay. If they're not, they won't. I don't know anything about Alien Isolation, but if that's the case maybe people shouldn't buy it. The devs will change their tune when they see it effect their dollars. Look at what happened with Battlefront 2. In this instance though, there's plenty of people who'll decide $5.00 extra is expendable enough for the content.

I get where you're coming from, but it's just about what people are willing to pay. I'm fine with paying $5.00 for the extra content, you're not. I'd never spend $30-$60 for the "Gold" edition of Assassin's Creed or Middle-Earth, but there's people who do.

I get that that is how a free market works. However, something being viable under free market conditions does not necessarily make it ethical, nor do I think that business practices should be exempt from scrutiny when talking fair consumer models. Yes, businesses exist to make money. But there's a difference, in my eyes anyway, between making fair profit and arbitrarily removing content from the finished product to make an extra buck. Oddly enough, I'm actually okay with a developer/publisher setting the retail price a little higher if the game is genuinely worth it. However, I object to boosting the total price by splitting the product into several pieces.

For me, it comes down to fairness to both parties. The companies need to make a profit, but the consumers should also be treated fairly, and removing content from the finished product, or locking it on the disc itself, is, to me, withholding content that the players have already paid for.

And why would it be considered a slap in the face? In that case, is it not a slap in the face to those who buy digital that have to wait until the physical release to play a game that, for all intents and purposes, is ready to go?

Perhaps it's just that I am used to simultaneous releases. As a consumer of physical media, I'd certainly be annoyed to see people play something I've been looking forward to for years several weeks before me, although I can't deny the pettiness of it. It does increase the risk of spoilers for those who are sticking with physical copies, and could be used as a tool to further decrease the physical market, which in turn damages consumer rights in the long run.

Has anyone a clue how to unlock all InGen databases? I miss only that one trophy to get the platinum and I don't know what to do

Back