Just can't do it

Didi_Raikkonen
I bought F1 2012 yesterday and started my career with Scuderia Torro Rosso, set my car up based on last years game. I am 6 seconds slower than the HRT's :s I was good at the last game, what am I doing wrong? Any setup tips??

I didnt want to lower the difficulty but looks like ill have to :/ some work is still needed on the setup though, what happened to 1st amd 2nd practice??

Didi_Raikkonen
I didnt want to lower the difficulty but looks like ill have to :/ some work is still needed on the setup though, what happened to 1st amd 2nd practice??

They were taken out by Codemasters.

Go Professional, I had the same problem. And it's a funny season I guess, some races I'm easily in front of the rest and the next race I'm doing my best for a 10th place.

And it's probably better to get used to the handling before you tune the setup...

God the AI are fast this year.

This.

Legend AI are a serious challenge. I started in Force India, sometimes I can get as high as scoring a point or two. Mostly I'm fighting not to be overtaken by Caterham.

It's great. Best single player experience I've had in a long time.

The AI are a definite improvement although I won at monaco and montreal so far, in the early races I was fighting for the final points positions in my Force India.

I'm now in Red Bull on my career, and I must say (I use Legend Difficulty) I haven't got bored of winning like I did with 2011. It really is a challenge to try and hold my championship lead.

I love it.

I bought F1 2012 yesterday and started my career with Scuderia Torro Rosso, set my car up based on last years game. I am 6 seconds slower than the HRT's :s I was good at the last game, what am I doing wrong? Any setup tips??

Yes, you basically can take your F1 2011 setups but instead just use '1' at the rear wing, the car will still be balanced, even if you have 11 at the front.

To be 6 seconds off the pace of the slowest cars though is a more fundamental problem and it's got to be down to your driving style. You need to brake a bit earlier this year, and you can't carry the same speed through the corners or else you will understeer. Try tip toeing around the track, just coasting into corners, using very minimal steering inputs, I wouldn't be surprised if you start going faster immediately because to be that far off the pace sounds like you were overdriving the car, and perhaps hadn't retrained your brain to forget f1 2011's physics yet. F1 2012 requires a much lighter touch to go fast.

Shaggy Alonso
Yes, you basically can take your F1 2011 setups but instead just use '1' at the rear wing, the car will still be balanced, even if you have 11 at the front.

To be 6 seconds off the pace of the slowest cars though is a more fundamental problem and it's got to be down to your driving style. You need to brake a bit earlier this year, and you can't carry the same speed through the corners or else you will understeer. Try tip toeing around the track, just coasting into corners, using very minimal steering inputs, I wouldn't be surprised if you start going faster immediately because to be that far off the pace sounds like you were overdriving the car, and perhaps hadn't retrained your brain to forget f1 2011's physics yet. F1 2012 requires a much lighter touch to go fast.

You were right, this years game really is much harder, you have to forget everything you knew about the tracks amd attack them in a completely different way, noticed that the A.I can make mistakes as you chase them down and they WILL overtake you, much much better, thanks for the advice guys, getting to grips with it now

Rule of thumb don't use the gas in most corners. Learn to break for corner and feel the speed into it, if your speed is good then you can free wheel into to the corner and excelerate out. Sounds weird not to have your gas pressed all the time but once you learn not to lock up or take corners to slow, this method has me dropping the competition out of corners for a breather.

I still tilt the car into flat out corners expecting the 2011 lack of grip! It's been hard to gain that trust back. Love how you can really overdrive the car though, allows you to drive aggressively or smoothly but up to a limit.

Didi_Raikkonen

You know that it isn't just the game that changes but F1 that changes every year. The 2012 cars are different from last year.

You are right, but in all fairness, it is just a videogame.

He was pointing out that the cars in the game changed too. If all that changed in the game was the bodywork and all the previous setups still worked,where would all the fun be of testing and tuning your car until it feels just right.

Hi.
The "advanced wheel settings" are different in F2012.
I'm using a Logitech DFGT wheel and I found the "saturation level" to be best at around 20% when I had it set to 100% in F2010.
In F2012 you won't even get off the grid with it set to 95%.
I've set the deadzones to zero and the other settings to 50%.
This will vary depending on the wheel you have.
Hope this helps,
Have fun.
P.S. any relation to Kimi?

Hi,
The big difference in the game I've found is the "advanced steering wheel" settings not so much in the car set-up. The "steering saturation" is a big one depending on what wheel you are using, I have a Logitech DFGT wheel with a PS3. Try it around 20%. In fact try it at 95% and see if you can get off the grid!!!!
Have fun.

Cheers for the reply guys, i had a bit of time away from the game and when i came back to it the new update has fixed my steering complaints, the game feels much better now. P.S. no relation lol just a big fan, so glad of the recent win at Abu Dhabi!

Cheers for the reply guys, i had a bit of time away from the game and when i came back to it the new update has fixed my steering complaints, the game feels much better now. P.S. no relation lol just a big fan, so glad of the recent win at Abu Dhabi!

Hi,
Kimi got a win (finally) Yeah!!
I tried some more "advanced wheel settings" which work better for me, DFGT/PS3
All deadzones @....1% (seems to work better than zero)
Steering saturation.....5%
Steering linearity........50%
Throttle saturation.....30%
Brake saturation........30%
Force feedback all at 80%
This gives me a "tight" wheel without too much slop and I can "feel" the car doing a four wheel drift when I'm pushing too hard.
Have fun.

Ive used Steering saturation 70%,
Linearity 30%
& 0% deadzone & all others since the update

also FFB on Environment 90%,
Feedback strength 100%,
& wheel weight 80%
I use a Logitech G27 & play on ps3

Back