Just did an Engine Overhaul on a Minolta Toyota...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Parasitic
  • 16 comments
  • 5,034 views
Messages
69
I've been afk'ing B-Spec'ing for countless hours now all the way upto the Indy 500 without ever doing any of the maintenance stuff in the GT Auto. Untill now, each race was a guaranteed 1st place.

I think it's already common knowledge by now that doing an Oil Change gets you a little more hp (gave me an extra 100'ish just now but the car reaaaally needed it).


I had my driver do the Indy 500 three times now with some mixed results:

1: Won 1st place easily.

2: Got 3rd place. Credits reward was about 75k, which is half of the full reward =/

3: Did an oil change. Got 1st by about 25 secs.


Now I'm doing it a forth time but did an oil change and an Engine Overhaul this time around. Went from 1032hp to 1040hp. Lousy increase. I'm gonna leave the race running and see how different the results are for this one.

Anyways, just thought I'd get this out there for anyone that's curious. Avoid the overhaul if you're looking for an increase in horsepower. 500,000cr isn't cheap. I'll post back if I notice any major changes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - Exited the race after 2 laps on the Indy to check somethin on the tuning menu. Went back to the GT Auto and clicked on the Engine Overhaul......it's already back up to another 500,000cr.

Well I got 1st on that last race. Was 1-2 laps ahead of everyone else. It seems like that oil change is really helping for this race. That last one also got me to lvl29! Hitting 30 for is gonna take about another 10-12 hours of gametime. Already started on the 5th run : p
 
Last edited:
Mate, did you consider your bob is also getting familiar with the track if you repeat the race?
It wasn't seen on the 2nd race, however. :)
 
HP goes up after each race. Sure it wasn't that, that increased the HP? My r92 starts with 1068 and goes to 1079 after a few races. A few races more and it goes down to 1027. Oil change restarts the cycle.
 
HP goes up during the first 200 miles on a new car or a new rebuild maybe. I have not tested the rebuild yet. No change after apx 200 miles until the milage gets high enough that it starts to drop.

One thing is for sure. You should not waste your hard earned credits rebuilding a car unless it either has several thousand miles on it or you really really need those few HP for a given race.

My FGT now has almost 16,000 miles on it without a rebuild. I change the oil after every race and Bob is still smoking everything. Got him running the 9 hour Tsukuba race now in it. When he started it had dropped to 885 hp due to the high milage. I plan to let him keep driving it until either the HP stops dropping or he can no longer win the races with it.

I also have not did a refresh on the body. It is turning slower laps now but is still plenty fast enough to win so I will leave it be and save my money. Eventually I will rebuild and refresh and it should be like new again.
 
c500 is DIRT CHEAP for an engine or chassis rebuild. c500,000 is a different story!
 
I don't understand why people are so quick to give up there hard earned credits for engine rebuilds and chassis strengthening. As others have said, until your car is showing huge drops in hp, you should not be doing an engine overhaul, just keep the oil nice and clean and the car should be all good.
 
Slightly off-topic question, how do you know if your car needs an engine overhaul or chassis repair when you and your B-Spec driver races with it ? I mean how do you realize if your car handles really bad?
 
drive it in Aspec and try it for yourself. That's the best way to find out.
 
I don't understand why people are so quick to give up there hard earned credits for engine rebuilds and chassis strengthening. As others have said, until your car is showing huge drops in hp, you should not be doing an engine overhaul, just keep the oil nice and clean and the car should be all good.
Exactly. I wouldn't rebuild the engines on my cars unless an oil change doesn't fully recover any lost power, or if the oil starts going off very quickly. Otherwise your just burning money.
 
I have been letting Bob drive the wheels off my FGT and it seems to have hit bottom on power loss at this point.

Last night before he started the 9 hour race the car was at about 16,000 miles and was down to 885 hp after and oil change. Prior to this it had been dropping a little every few races but this morning after the 9 hour race and an oil change it was still at 885. He has since ran the dream car championship 2 times and the power is holding steady at 885.

So in total it dropped 50hp over the course of 16,000 miles and then stabilized. Still have not rebuilt nor refreshed and Bob still laps everything on the track with it.

Those of you who think you need to rebuild early and often and complaing about the cost should take note of this.
 
OP, Im having the same problem with my Corvette RM. Every race it needs an overhaul, just not winning anymore, and its my grinding car.
 
OP, Im having the same problem with my Corvette RM. Every race it needs an overhaul, just not winning anymore, and its my grinding car.

Maybe try buying the Panoz Race car? I don't own it but maybe that will perform better? Just a thought :)

Jerome
 
I have noticed doing an oil change, instead of an engine rebuild, brings back the power completely. My Minolta has 1040 HP fully tuned and loses power quickly, but an oil change brings it back to 1040 HP every time. An engine rebuild is just way too much and didn't bring back any power for me.
 
Engine rebuild is just like the chassis refresh, you don't actually need it until your car power is really low. In GT4 chassis refresh was needed after about 10,000km or so, hopefully you don't need to apply it in GT5 before then. Usually when the car starts pulling to one side is when you need to get it done as it will make driving on rough surfaces a hellish ride.

Engine rebuilding isn't needed unless you see a big drop in power and that won't happen unless you put some serious mileage on your car. I have an M3 CSL with 325 HP on it, and I haven't even refreshed the engine nor changed the oil. I'll change the oil to see what gains it gets, but in arcade mode the HP reads 355. Will check it in a couple of days as I'm away from my PS3 for the rest of the week :(.
 
Maybe I'm a bit confused on the price. 500,000cr ?

I just did an engine overhaul on one of my grind cars a my credits before the overhaul was 2,108,461. After the overhaul it was 2,107,961.

So is it 500,000 or 500 :confused:
 
Maybe I'm a bit confused on the price. 500,000cr ?

I just did an engine overhaul on one of my grind cars a my credits before the overhaul was 2,108,461. After the overhaul it was 2,107,961.

So is it 500,000 or 500 :confused:

I believe stealth and chromeline cars it is 500 if that helps.
 
In GT4 chassis refresh was needed after about 10,000km or so, hopefully you don't need to apply it in GT5 before then. Usually when the car starts pulling to one side is when you need to get it done as it will make driving on rough surfaces a hellish ride.

That was especially fun in the 2 Le Sarthe 24hr endurance races, the chassis would usually start to give out anywhere from 8-12 hours in and after that was a challenge to control the car at high speeds (200mph+), you even looked at a corner funny and it would kill you. 👍
 
Back