Just friggin great, no really!

  • Thread starter Thread starter shepzki
  • 24 comments
  • 2,802 views

shepzki

-.-. .- -... -... .- --.
Premium
Messages
3,300
England
England
Messages
shepzki
Being a veteran of many a 24hr endurance race on GT4, I finally got to B-Spec LVL35 and earlier decided to let BOB do Le Sarthe. I was always disappointed in GT4 that it was daylight for the whole 24hrs, big let down. I just checked on BOB and it's night time now, it looks really great. The ferris wheel all lit up, the stands, even the pit lane is bathed in light. And it really looks something else flying down the mulsane straight in the pitch black, all bar a tiny bit of light from the car's headlights. Not too sure about the fireworks, looks a bit dumb really.

Remember in GT4 when you started the race you had a squadron of planes flying overhead with the colors of the french flag streaking out of them? Wish they had kept that, but otherwise i'm really looking forward to this in A-Spec now, just add's that extra level of difficulty and keeps it interesting. 👍
 
I think they have jet's flying around above one of the Course maker themes (Liege I think) when it's dark. I know I saw some when I did the Gran Turismo Rally special event.

So is the Day/Night cycle real time for the 24hr events? Or is it set to start at a specific time? I know online and in arcade you can change the speed at which it cycles, I assume it's 24hrs = 24hrs... Two day night cycles in a 24hr race would look stupid. :P
 
So is the Day/Night cycle real time for the 24hr events? Or is it set to start at a specific time?P

Not sure about that, it does appear to be changing according to local time but not 100%. Hope it does though. 👍
 
So is the Day/Night cycle real time for the 24hr events?

I'm not sure either, but I would imagine so. 9 hours in to my first 24h endurance and it was pitch black AND raining... Bob is pretty good with the X2010. It looked absolutely breathtaking, even my girlfriend was impressed and she hates cars and videogaming. Not sure how genuine she was being, mind you.
 
It always starts in the day time and after about 6 hours, it gets dark. Not sure when daylight happens...I'm asleep at that time.
 
Fireworks are quite common on 24 hour events - nothing dumb about it



Rolex 24 Hour race at the Daytona
 
I think they have jet's flying around above one of the Course maker themes (Liege I think) when it's dark. I know I saw some when I did the Gran Turismo Rally special event.

So is the Day/Night cycle real time for the 24hr events? Or is it set to start at a specific time? I know online and in arcade you can change the speed at which it cycles, I assume it's 24hrs = 24hrs... Two day night cycles in a 24hr race would look stupid. :P

The race starts at 16:00/4p.m. just like the real race and cycle in real time. I used the 370Z to check this (it has a dash clock).
 
Last edited:
HN7
The race starts at 16:00 p.m. just like the real race and cycle in real time. I used the 370Z to check this (it has a dash clock).

Sweet, details like that are awesome. :)
 
It stays dark for about 9 Hours , oh and it sometimes Rains for 8 Hours or even more :scared:
 
I just completed my first B-spec 24hrs of Le Mans also. I started the race at 6:45am on a beautiful sunny day but when I check back in when I got back from work it was night time and pouring rain. I checked back in periodically between 6pm to 11pm and it continued to pour. When I woke up this morning to watch the finish of the race it was a beautiful sunny day once again.

I can't imagine having to do this 10 more times just to unlock the 24 hours of Nürburgring. :(
 
I just completed my first B-spec 24hrs of Le Mans also. I started the race at 6:45am on a beautiful sunny day but when I check back in when I got back from work it was night time and pouring rain. I checked back in periodically between 6pm to 11pm and it continued to pour. When I woke up this morning to watch the finish of the race it was a beautiful sunny day once again.

I can't imagine having to do this 10 more times just to unlock the 24 hours of Nürburgring. :(

Its ok I think you only need to do it 8 times :lol:
 
I've watched parts of Bob racing it a few times and I'm pretty excited to get A-Spec there to try it myself.
 
Im glad they added the day/night and rain/dry shifting scenarios. Will make it much funner and less of a grind.
 
I did the Le Mans 24 hours A-Spec this weekend and it really amazed me how detailed is the track on night-time.

Also, my race started with a light drizzle, switched to heavy rain after 2 hours and stayed that way up until 7 hours in the race. Since night-time began at the 4:20 hour mark, I drove around 3 hours with heavy rain and pitch dark. It was a pretty amazing experience :)

Also, seeing the sun coming up over the Dunlop corner hill was one of the best lightning moments I've ever seen in a video-game 👍
 
This is the reason the game is so much more exciting than GT4. GT4's 24 hour races were just that. 24 hours of driving. Nothing changing over time except tyre wear and fuel consumption. Now with a 24 hour day/night cycle (Which I have wanted, badly, since GT4) and dynamic weather conditions causing you to change the way you drive, the races are exciting and different each and everytime, and no longer a mindless drone.
The GT5 world feels alive!
 
I think the unfortunate thing is a lot of people won't witness this as 24 hours is just too much of a grind for the casual gamer. I'm not even sure I'll be doing it once I unlock the longer endurance races (not anytime soon, anyway).

I really hope saves for endurance races or longer multi-race series gets added at some point
 
So has anyone have a 24hr race that was completely dry? Not that I'm complaining about rain, its just that it rains all the time whenever I drive at La Sarthe with the dynamic weather.
 
Go find a Le Mans when it didn't rain. What I want is the 2001 race to be able to happen. I think it was 19 hours it was raining. I was reading Ben Collin's(the stig) book and it sounded amazing.
 
So has anyone have a 24hr race that was completely dry? Not that I'm complaining about rain, its just that it rains all the time whenever I drive at La Sarthe with the dynamic weather.

My Bobs had a couple of hours rain at the start of their 24hr Le Mans then dry for the rest of the race.

I had a completely dry 24hr Le Mans.

I did the Le Mans 24 hours A-Spec this weekend and it really amazed me how detailed is the track on night-time.

Also, my race started with a light drizzle, switched to heavy rain after 2 hours and stayed that way up until 7 hours in the race. Since night-time began at the 4:20 hour mark, I drove around 3 hours with heavy rain and pitch dark. It was a pretty amazing experience :)

Also, seeing the sun coming up over the Dunlop corner hill was one of the best lightning moments I've ever seen in a video-game 👍

Until I read this, I was assuming it might always be dry at night because it could be too much for the engine/PS3 to manage.

The dusk and dawn transitions were really something special. I really enjoyed those.

Only real problem was, after the sun had fully risen, most of the fences would go very dark as I approached them. It was like the exact opposite of headlights lighting them up at night. Didn't detract from the experience though.
 
First time doing bspec, started in the rain and every time I checked it was raining hard (racing Rain tires). So Assumed it rained all 24hrs.
 
Check in on Bob while he's driving the Formula GT at night in the rain.

You'll never be more impressed with the little guy! :sly:
 
I think the unfortunate thing is a lot of people won't witness this as 24 hours is just too much of a grind for the casual gamer. I'm not even sure I'll be doing it once I unlock the longer endurance races (not anytime soon, anyway).

I really hope saves for endurance races or longer multi-race series gets added at some point

They should have the ability to have several small "tester" races. Like a 4h enduro race that has accelerated enviroment. Squeeze 24h of lighting changes into a shorter 2-4-8 race.
like a full day with weather.lite
 
They should have the ability to have several small "tester" races. Like a 4h enduro race that has accelerated enviroment. Squeeze 24h of lighting changes into a shorter 2-4-8 race.
like a full day with weather.lite

You can do that in an Online Lobby. You may not be able to set a limit on time, but you can do have a nice long race by increasing the amount of laps. You can even adjust how long it take the Daylight to cycle.
 
Back