Just got a wheel, which view do you use?

• Thread starter Renrag39
  • 59 comments
Hood VIew,

but WHY can'd PD make it a proper "Hood" View.
At the level of the drivers eyes, like every other damn racing game.

So if anyone is speaking with @kaz Get him to fix it......

Chase cam all the way! Although that may change real soon as my wheel just arrived today :D. Got some work to do!

Chase cam here also. I was raised with it from the early days of arcades (Pole Position anyone?) and still use it today. I feel it makes up for the lack of peripheral vision you have without a three screen setup. I'm just not as fast in other views. They are fun to play around with offline though.

Bumper because of great HUD (radar in centre) and rear view mirror. I can't imagine using any other view.

Might use interior view if PD adds FOV slider.

It has to be in the Cockpit every race for a Car racing game, even Sport mode. I utilise the radar bottom right at all times and the map at the top, and assign rear view if I quickly need it. That is if the car has it, a few VGT do not but most have an interior.

I have used Cockpit view for a long time even on controller, I am so used to it now even in the Crew/Dirt Rally/4/PCars2/Forza etc I could not play on chase cam and struggle with games that do not have an interior i.e NFS! 👍

Always cockpit except for some cars that don't have cockpits. But i try to avoid those if possible. I do adjust the "seating position" because some cars have HUGE rollcages so it's difficult to look into the corners.

Weird thing is that arcade racers like Need For Speed i play in chase cam. Don't know why but feels better..

Chase cam here also. I was raised with it from the early days of arcades (Pole Position anyone?) and still use it today. I feel it makes up for the lack of peripheral vision you have without a three screen setup. I'm just not as fast in other views. They are fun to play around with offline though.

Yes Pole Position, that one might be the first racing game I ever played, back in the good old C64 days. Man, chasing and overtaking sprites felt so good.

If i'm using my wheel its bumper cam. Although some people on here saying they put FOV as forward as possible in cockpit which im gonna try next time i get my wheel out!

Hood VIew,

but WHY can'd PD make it a proper "Hood" View.
At the level of the drivers eyes, like every other damn racing game.

So if anyone is speaking with @kaz Get him to fix it......
I agree (partially) with this, especcially if you use a wheel and have a "cockpit"/stand.
We should have a cockpit view, between the wheel and the windscreen. There are lots of people with wheel, and the TV should be like the car windscreen.

I use about 70%bumper 30% cockpit.
when using cokpit I have to put the wheel much closer to the TV while with the bumper cam, when turning it does feel right how the car turns and the interior view it's a little narrow.

And you are correct. And I refuse to drive those cars unless it's required like in a mission Challenge or something. It's mostly an OCD thing.

Same, whilst cockpit view is not as perfect as real life, it's more realistic than anything else.

Perhaps if i drove a car sat on a bonnet or drove being pushed along the floor by the front grill i may consider these options but i dont.

I would rather sacrifice a little speed for a touch extra realism

Bumper, always. In GT, AC, Wipeout, Dirt,
Most immersive, best view, best sense of speed.

Only game I use cockpit is pCars1/2 because their bumper cam is way too low, and actually worsens overview.

Bumper view for me (rear view mirror and more visibility as my main reason, plus I'm use to playing GT like that)

If I had a 3 TV/Monitor set up, I would do cockpit but on a single screen, it feels too cramped.

I know for full immersion, cockpit should be the go to, just wondering if there are many contrarians?

I've not a clue as I can't really use it until my stand arrives. Had a cheeky chuck but trying to hold a wheel between my knees and use the pedals was disastrous! 😁
i prefer the cockpit view

Bumper. I'd use hood, but no rear view.
Cockpit I find to be too restrictive. If it were stereo vision and head tracking so you could look around the pillars (like real life) I'd use cockpit.

Bumper too. For the mirror.

Anyone ever try to hack a mirror in cockpit mode? An HDMI splitter should allow for a duplicate screen (not dual screen), then it's a matter of somehow focusing in on just the mirror on the 2nd screen. Would work great with cars with a rear view video panel. 🧠

I know for full immersion, cockpit should be the go to, just wondering if there are many contrarians?

I've not a clue as I can't really use it until my stand arrives. Had a cheeky chuck but trying to hold a wheel between my knees and use the pedals was disastrous! 😁
I prefer the bumper cam because: mirror. The in-car cockpit view is cool, but limiting in someways. It is also distracting to me that the wheel is on screen when I'm holding it... wish they had the feature to turn it off like I think Forza and others do, with just the dash/display.

The sound (esp on surround sound setup) is not as good as the roof cam, which is annoying. The bumper cam can also be problematic when in tight quarters, where you can't see around the car in front well, esp in certain cars and combos.

The roof cam would be my preference, if it only had a mirror. And don't @ me about the radar... I do also use that but it's not a mirror, it's not as intuitive, and it's not as authentic of a sim experience.

(and wow, just read the other responses... amazing how consistent they have been so far...)

Last edited:
I use bonnet cam.
For me it is the closest to the real thing to driving a car. Cockpit cam has all the things you'd glance down at or train to use without sight in the way and in a close quarter fight that's the last thing I want.
Bumper cam is probably technically the best due to the information it displays. But from watching it I don't like it. It looks too low and as no part of the car is visible you can tap someone accidentally as the nose appears to be ahead of the camera.
If the bonnet cam had a mirror and a tacho it would be 100% the best view, but it doesn't, so does lack. Still it's the one I prefer.

Cockpit. However you can’t use it unless you have proper perspective. Gotta be close to big tv.
If close to a big tv in cars with good cockpit views you gain tremendous advantage of 2 rear view mirrors, as well as the MOST visual information about the cars behavior.
People will say blind spot-peripheral view, but in bumper or roof same issue.
You have radar, not only that but in 99 percent of cases you only need to make one decision. The decision is simple you either leave space or you do not.
In road racing online if you don’t know where your opponent is-leave space lol.
The thing is once you race a lot you will always know where your opponent is, especially in a good cockpit view with two rear view mirrors.
You don’t react in racing online really, your focus should always be ahead of what’s going on.
If you think you need to look for your opponent next to you you aren’t thinking far ahead enough your awareness needs to be better developed…
So, for me using a big tv, close to the screen, I’m faster in time trial due to more visual feedback about the cars attitude, and in race I have the best situational awareness.
The downside to cockpit in this game is certain cars are not very usable for racing online for various reasons-reasons like poor rear visibility primarily but also pillars obstructing view.
Also cockpit has by far the best sound imo.
Last week in the gr2 cockpit it felt great in the modern Lexus as well as Nissan.
Fwiw I never crashed-I only had 2 incidents all week-one was with an old enemy and one with a new and incredibly after those initial run ins we were able to race hard but not dirty all week.
The sound the cockpit the speed of the gr2 cars was incredible. I can’t imagine running roof or bumper and missing so much.
I went plus about 25k last week back into A plus. I raced a lot.
If you are setup for it cockpit objectively offers more visibility for situational awareness and more visual feedback about the cars attitude and rotation as well as many other features like shift lights and working gauges etc.
It takes work to get to a point where you are close to that big screen though.
I had to build a little setup to get it how I wanted…

edit fun wise immersion wise information wise in this game the cars with good cockpit views offer more character just more of everything more variety etc.
The negative is all cars don’t have good cockpit view.

Last edited:
Back