JW Racing Subaru BRZ Racecar

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 3 comments
Australia
Brisbane
Punknoodle_Nick
Hi all, Nick here. You may remember me from such builds as the Duke Racing Celica GT-Four Time Attack Car. That build is not yet finished, and it's probably going to be delayed a little more, because my friend and I have decided to build another racecar...

I picked up this 2015 Subaru BRZ from the salvage auctions for dirt cheap. The engine had been hydrolocked, but otherwise the chassis, bodywork and interior is pretty damn good. Mechanically I believe everything except the engine is also good - the car only has 60,000kms on it.

We've begun the process of getting it ready for racing. Gutted the interior, air bags etc. I've removed the dash in order to flock it. We've removed the engine to get it rebuilt.

I've also started the wiring for the accessories sub loom for the car. This is just a simple harness to connect the Motec logger dash, battery isolation system and other accessories like camera and radio power plus some LED lighting for night driver changes. Also designed the panel which mounts where the radio was, to house the Motec dash etc. The rules of the catergory dictate we must keep the OEM instrument cluster.

That's about it for now, for more, follow our instagram - @jwracingteam

Last edited:
Nice new project 👍. I think that an 86 is an excellent platform to build a fun racecar from.

We are looking on track to have the car logbooked ready to hit the track some time in July. We've ordered the rollcage for it and this is being fabricated with an ETA of 29th June. It's AGI's top spec National level cage for the BRZ. Our engine is now ready - it's a completely fresh rebuild from the crank up. The rules of the class dicate we must pistons and rods within 2% of O.E.M weight, which pretty much rules out forged items. It's remaining naturally aspirated anyway so this isn't a problem. It has new rings, bearings, gaskets etc and we've also performed some baffling in the sump. We also threw a new Exedy HD clutch on it.

52063632284_2ab6b66a58_b.jpg

52062361022_9df6e3a76a_b.jpg

I drew up these seat plates and had them laser cut and powder-coated. The new seat (Sparco Circuit) is in place as well as the Lineline quick release and Momo wheel. The wiring harness is all installed as well as the little panel I made with the Motec dash.

52063400451_69c84672b9_b.jpg

I also made up a little carbon infill to mount the cabin LED switch (covers up the holes left by removal of the seat heater switches).

52063400421_c90126245f_b.jpg

I also bought this CAN Checked CANbus expander in order to get some more analoge inputs into the Motec logger. Now I can simply add things like an oil pressure sensor and have this logged by the dash.

52063400261_b86053744d_b.jpg

Here's how I mounted the battery isolator relay. I welded a support to the battery clamp, and designed that little block which was 3D printed, which supports the busbar which feeds the existing load from the battery.

52063632329_35e65d9e2a_b.jpg

That's about it for now. We'll hopefully get the engine installed soon, and then we need to do all of the smaller stuff like window nets, harness install, tow hooks, bonnet pins and safety stickers but we are getting closer.

Back