Kalashnikov's electric concept car - the CV-1

• Thread starter kikie
  • 20 comments

kikie

I'm here
Premium
Belgium
in the land of stupidity
Kalashnikov is developing an electric car based on the Izj Kombi from the '70.

Kalashnikov says that this electric supercar is going to be a direct comptetion for Tesla and other electric cars. There is no information available yet, only that they are working on this CV-1 concept car.

Last edited:
Kalasjnikov says that this electric supercar
Supercar in what decade, 1970's?
Kalashnikov claims the vehicle generates 295 horsepower, drawing juice from a 90 kWh battery pack. Featuring a “revolutionary” inverter capable of handling gobs of current and an advanced (or at least contemporary) powertrain monitoring system, both developed in-house, the vehicle offers a driving range of 217 miles. Memories of the Warsaw Pact come standard. Unlike the original hatchback, this vehicle rockets to 62 miles per hour in 6 seconds.
TTAC

It's slow when compared to the Tesla, even the base Model 3 is faster and has better range on a 75kWh battery.

Kalasjnikov should stick to making firearms.

Wasn't the Anglo-version of the Калашников name supposed to be just Kalashnikov? With the j it would have been either translated into Spanish or originated from Poland or some similar place. Likewise for the "Izj"

Though that said, it's a "supercar" if they're comparing it to Ladas and KAMAZes :lol:
The commenters aren't amused either

How much of this "Kalishnikov claims they have made Tesla killer" nonsense spreading around automotive blogs today is actually something that came from the company and not re-contextualizing it as "lol Russia" or trying to distract everyone from Musk's ranting tweets about Model 3 bumpers falling off when faced with light breezes?

All I've been able to see when looking it up on actual news sites are company representatives saying things like:
“We’re talking about competing precisely with Tesla because it’s currently a successful electric vehicle project. We expect to at least keep up with it,”
“This technology will let us stand in the ranks of global electric car producers such as Tesla and be their competitor. We were inspired by the experience of global market leaders in developing our concept.”

I feel, they were more inspired by shade tree engineers, converting their own Austin Minis and Beetles to electric.

So you know about it too. :lol:

First, this particular model is not a "Tesla killer" of any kind. Someone said this nonsense and journalists are repeating this (with giggles, I guess).
The maker says it's only a test platform. They took an old and cheap car, Izh Kombi (which costs around $500 in decent condition), and equipped it with electric engine/batteries. If they keep the development up, they'll use a proper, modern base and, perhaps, launch it into serial production.

Second. The base car is, as it's said already, Izh 2125, also known as Kombi. Produced from 1973 to 1997. The original version looked better than this.
71681_1.jpeg

The 1982 restyling (I suppose Kalashnikov used this version as a base) gave it an ugly look. However... there's something attractive in this ugliness, too. :D
photo36980.jpg

Another likely reason why they used the Izh is because it was produced in Izhevsk - the same city where Kalashnikov makes its firearms.

Supercar in what decade, 1970's?
TTAC

It's slow when compared to the Tesla, even the base Model 3 is faster and has better range on a 75kWh battery.

Kalasjnikov should stick to making firearms.
Their PR managers don't know what is "supercar", that's all.
295 hp is still not bad, though.

Last edited:
Any self respecting Moskvich should be either brick red, sky blue or grass green. What are these capitalist nonsense colors?
Anyway, its obviously a mule targeting to get attention and its successfull on that.

The 1970s appearance looks interesting I guess, though I'm not sure that this will be capable of doing any Tesla killing.

71681_1.jpeg

The 1982 restyling (I suppose Kalashnikov used this version as a base) gave it an ugly look. However... there's something attractive in this ugliness, too. :D
photo36980.jpg
Indeed, for some reason these old Russian cars appealing.

Maybe this CV-1 will be very ugly but gorgeous at the same time.

It seems the late 70's/early 80's have only just reached Kalashnikov. Here's their other announcement this week, a large all terrain robot

5b7c2bc915e9f93a6a478871.jpg

Back