Kart driving with a wheel is different from anything else. Need some tips

DesertPenguin

(Banned)
United States
Long Island, New York
DesertPenguin_
The steering ratio is so insanely low that the smallest degree of movement is always too much. I tried raising it to something like what GT3 cars have but it's still weird. What do you guys do to make karts more driveable?

The steering ratio is so insanely low that the smallest degree of movement is always too much. I tried raising it to something like what GT3 cars have but it's still weird. What do you guys do to make karts more driveable?

I drove them stock. Only brake in a straight line - this helps as karts have no differential.

I remember @Lessen commenting on the weird steering the carts have in PCars 2. And he has a good deal of experience driving real carts. He may be able to shed some light. I remember I used to keep my foot a little in the throttle even when braking - especially if trail braking.

:confused::confused::confused:

I haven't spent much time in the PC2 kart because it doesn't feel right out of the box. That's not to say it cannot be tuned better, but the general reactiveness of the steering is wonky. The overall steering amount in stock form is actually pretty close to realistic, albeit a touch too much probably. I did dabble with it enough to see that it's a little more than 180*. I play Kart Racing Pro on PC and it is far more life-like and set to 180*. That's the minimum and it steers like a real race kart that way. In stock form the steering feel in PC2 is exaggerated as to what one should expect in a real racing kart. Real karts are indeed quite sensitive at speed and the turning ability comes on quick as you increase input due to the way the steering/chassis geometry works. The problem with PC2 is that it's just too much of everything. It feels too direct and when the turning ability really comes on, it comes on way too fast. There should be some predictability in the way it happens and in a sim that has a lot to do with the FFB. What it SHOULD feel like is this... initially there is quite a bit of resistance at speed. As you gradually increase input for turn-in it should continue to feel resistant. Once the steering and the loading gets to the point where the chassis begins to work properly, this is where the magic happens. This is when the kart REALLY starts to turn, but also the steering should get lighter, but not completely numb. It's been a while since I tried the kart in PC2, but my gut tells me the problem lies mostly in the FFB. The reactivity of the FFB is too car-like, just with minimal input.

More kart blah blah blah: Karts run quite a bit of caster. So when you steer you're really trying to turn the tire INTO the ground. That's why they feel so heavy. This is intentional because this "jacking" is what causes the inside rear tire to lift off the racing surface. This is how karts are supposed to work and this why the turning "comes on" so abruptly. As mentioned above, without a differential this is what makes a kart handle well. It must 3-wheel. So when you steer, you're literally lifting the chassis off the ground and losing all contact of one tire. This is why race karts are so sensitive. Also consider that a race kart has a much more upright steering wheel rake. I'm guessing most sim wheels are set or come with a mount that puts the steering wheel at about a 20* rake angle like my Fanatec. A kart is more like 55*. The steering action of the driver is much more in/out rather than up/down. Most drivers hold the wheel at 8 & 4 o'clock palms up rather than 10/2 or 9/3 in a car. This puts your forearms almost parallel and your upper arms and elbow almost against the drivers chest/abdomen. This "bracing" is how a driver achieves better control of a vehicle with such sensitive steering.

Hope I didn't bore you but there are major differences in karts versus cars. Even in PC2, it's not necessarily "wrong" per se, but it does need some refinement to be both more accurate and enjoyable.

Are there any tracks that suit the Kart anyway? I have tried it on the Brands Hatch Indy and it is way too long for a little kart...

Are there any tracks that suit the Kart anyway? I have tried it on the Brands Hatch Indy and it is way too long for a little kart...

The Kart circuits are as follows:

Chesterfield
Dubai Kartdrome
Glencairn (6 layouts)
Greenwood
Le Mans Karting

The following are not specifically for karts, but are too small for much else: Silverstone Stowe and Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile.

Hope that helps!

Hi guys just did a little test around brands indy its seems i'm the only one so I am 1st in the world woot ;) anyway I did do some tweaking
so you should be able to d/l the setup if you go to time trials it might be worth a lol :)

I was curious and tested, well checked kart.
Wondering all those spring and anti-roll bar settings, what kind of kart this is?
I decided to put just rigid as possible and fix height and pressures, bit weight balance and go.. Kart. :)

Driven on PS4P with G27, no aids of any kind.

Trike effect on physics engine was heavily presented every settings which were close to stock, I started with "loose" stock setting.
Didn't touch caster, camber, toe or steering ratio.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sloppys-fast-stable-and-fun-career-tunes.377764/

I spent a day tuning the karts to get a solid, stable fun and fast generic tune with the final drive specified for each track. Makes a WORLD of difference they are actually a lot of fun to drive now. Seriously!

Thanks for posting your Kart setup, I am going to try it out later. I usually just hook up my controller if I want to race Karts because my wheel just never feels good with Karts.

"Thanks for posting your Kart setup, I am going to try it out later. I usually just hook up my controller if I want to race Karts because my wheel just never feels good with Karts."

You are most welcome, I think once you have configured your steering ratio to your particular wheel my tune will blow your socks off. Yes I'm that confident! Either way, sockless or not, let me know how you get on!

Back