Katiegan's Garage | Winter Plans

• Thread starter Katiegan
  • 789 comments
Looks awesome! I've got some lowering springs and gas shocks to go on the ol' 240 soon, so it won't be as low as Pandaghini, but still!

I like that you've struck a balance - it's not stupid low - someone I used to know had a 6N2 VW Polo which he completely slammed, and stanced, stretched tyres and all. He couldn't go over speed bumps or railway crossings so he had to take a 5 mile detour to leave the small town he lived in. Talk about form over function...

So in short the Panda looks friggin' cool!

Living in the countryside with a lot of undesirable roads left me pretty much no choice to not leave it slammed on its arse. In the photos by the side of the road you can see the tarmac abruptly ends, something I didn't notice when I pulled over, and promptly smacked the subframe as I pulled in. Was not a good noise! It was a struggle to get back out too (I documented my attempt on my Instagram story), but luckily it did no damage. There's two speed bumps I have to cross on my route to work as I go past a school, and there's one on the entrance to my work, so I needed it functional just to get to work. :lol:

To be honest though, this is the ideal height I wanted it. When it was tucked on the rear I didn't like it. I'm not big on the tucked look, I prefer a more functional racey stance.

Living in the countryside with a lot of undesirable roads left me pretty much no choice to not leave it slammed on its arse. In the photos by the side of the road you can see the tarmac abruptly ends, something I didn't notice when I pulled over, and promptly smacked the subframe as I pulled in. Was not a good noise! It was a struggle to get back out too (I documented my attempt on my Instagram story), but luckily it did no damage. There's two speed bumps I have to cross on my route to work as I go past a school, and there's one on the entrance to my work, so I needed it functional just to get to work. :lol:

To be honest though, this is the ideal height I wanted it. When it was tucked on the rear I didn't like it. I'm not big on the tucked look, I prefer a more functional racey stance.
Same here! Nice 'n' subtle! My Corsa will eventually be lowered as well but I'm going with 40mm drop lowering springs. The front is pretty low as it is (stripping the rear seats and trim didn't help...). I wouldn't be surprised if it's more comfortable afterwards. It's that bad :D

Very impressive!

Do you think you'll replace your stack of washers with a proper spacer? You must know someone with a lathe!

Unfortunately, I don't! So the washers will have to stay for now.

So good! Like others said, wheels and lowering can change the look of a car so much. Sometimes for better or worse. This just looks right.

Bit late updating this thread, but a few weeks ago I went and bought some more wheels for the Panda...

I'd been keeping an eye out for a new set of wheels for a while, but only really half-heartedly looking. These Zender Sport wheels were on eBay for a while, in Fiat's 4x98 fitment, so I kept them on my watch list. A few months went by, I was browsing wheels again, and they were still for sale at £300. Freshly refurbished, no cracks or scuffs, and a pretty rare set. I was looking at them on my phone at work and thought, 🤬 it, I'll put an offer in. I put in an offer of £250, not really expecting them to take it, but within about 5 mins the offer had been accepted. I wasn't exactly planning on getting them, but for that price I thought, why not? I picked them up that weekend, then fitted the tyres the next weekend. Luckily the tyres I had on the Cross wheels fit the Zenders, albeit with a tiny bit of stretch. The Cross wheels are 5.5J on 175 width tyres, while the Zenders are 7J.

The Zenders were missing the centre caps and the (fake) split bolts. Sourcing genuine centre caps proved to be pretty much impossible, so I had to buy blank caps and Zender stickers to put over them. Still need to source some bolts to get them back to how they would've been orignally. I don't know much about Zender, except for the fact they were big in the 80s and make bodykits now, so for all I know these wheels could be older than me!

Had a photoshoot yesterday while the weather was reasonably nice, so I could finally have some decent photos of the Panda with lows and the new wheels.

I'm hoping to get the Panda entered into a few shows this year, so I've got a few plans for the upcoming weeks/months, mainly sorting out the bumpers, respraying them again and sourcing a grill for the radiator. I'd also like to get the windows tinted, numerous parking dents removed, and maybe an exhaust, but I'm not sure yet. I really only want the exhaust so the back end looks nicer, not for any sound, since I doubt a 1.2 is going to sound that decent. I've got some time off work towards the end of March so I'm planning on getting a lot of stuff done then.

It looks good! Wheels aren't my kind of thing but thank christ you didn't put camber on it! :P

Lowering is just right. I'd personally have mine higher but the roads are crap where I live!

It looks good! Wheels aren't my kind of thing but thank christ you didn't put camber on it! :P

Lowering is just right. I'd personally have mine higher but the roads are crap where I live!

It does actually have a tiny amount of camber on the front due to the coilovers, but it’s hardly noticeable.

The roads are awful here too. I’ve gotten quite good at spotting potholes in the road now. It’s good in the snow, being so low means it’s basically a snow plow now. :lol:

It does actually have a tiny amount of camber on the front due to the coilovers, but it’s hardly noticeable.

The roads are awful here too. I’ve gotten quite good at spotting potholes in the road now. It’s good in the snow, being so low means it’s basically a snow plow now. :lol:
:P I avoid potholes anyway - but that's a side-effect of driving a Vauxhall. Well, two of them now. I do plan on lowering my Corsa and Volvo but I'm getting lowering springs and gas shocks for them, no more than 40mm drop. Too many rail crossings and speed bumps in Suffolk!

:P I avoid potholes anyway - but that's a side-effect of driving a Vauxhall. Well, two of them now. I do plan on lowering my Corsa and Volvo but I'm getting lowering springs and gas shocks for them, no more than 40mm drop. Too many rail crossings and speed bumps in Suffolk!

I'm tempted to get one of the 'be patient, I'm lowered' stickers for the Panda to be honest. :lol:

I saw a VW Lupo with those stickers once - a 1 litre MPI on coilovers, completely slammed, the steel wheels were almost touching the arches. There's a special place in hell reserved for that deathtrap.

Your Panda looks a hell of a lot better than that thing - its coil springs actually sat loose when the car was lifted off the ground.

I think they (together with the coilovers) look great on the Panda 👍 I must prefer smaller wheels vs every body trying to stick oversized rims on everything. Great colour match up too.

I think they (together with the coilovers) look great on the Panda 👍 I must prefer smaller wheels vs every body trying to stick oversized rims on everything. Great colour match up too.
You're not alone - someone told me to put 17 inch alloys on my Volvo - I nearly slapped him right then and there! 14 inch will do!

There's a special place in hell reserved for that deathtrap.

You're not alone - someone told me to put 17 inch alloys on my Volvo - I nearly slapped him right then and there! 14 inch will do!

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

So much hate...

This Panda.. Goes to show a set of cool rollers and a good drop make all cars look great! So happy you're also fitting a lower grille now as the car will look at lot more complete then :) The Panda looks especially great in profile with the new fitment!

Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

So much hate...

This Panda.. Goes to show a set of cool rollers and a good drop make all cars look great! So happy you're also fitting a lower grille now as the car will look at lot more complete then :) The Panda looks especially great in profile with the new fitment!
Wow okay. In my defense the Lupo I mentioned was quite literally a deathtrap. If done right there's nothing wrong with lowering a car. I've got no hate for this Panda. The lowering looks great and though the wheels aren't my kind of thing they could be much worse.

Looks great on those wheels - always interesting finding a combination of old wheels and new-ish car that works well.

I'd say go for it on the exhaust, provided you find something that isn't too loud. If it enhances your enjoyment of the car and contributes to the look, there's no harm in it. Four-cylinder engines are all about induction noise for me though so I'd be on the lookout for some kind of induction kit - again, bugger-all performance increase probably, but it'll give it a bit more of that old-school revvy Fiat rasp.

Can't hotrod a car without exhaust and possibly also filter as you say.. Open filter to suck in hot air and an exhaust to make the car sound faster than it is always a winner.. :D For me it's always been wheels, coils, steering wheel and exhaust - the car is now hotrodded and I am instantly 8 years old again :cool:

Yes for exhaust, but only if you can get one that doesn't drone like crazy, a bit raspy and loud, especially in high revs yes, but low tones and buzzing is a no no

After years of saying I wanted a project, I finally went out and got one.

1990 VW Scirocco GT2. I've always loved the Scirocco, all three generations, and seriously considered getting a Mk3 to replace the Panda, but they hold their value insanely well so I was struggling to find one for the right price. I've been debating with myself for ages whether or not to keep the Panda, sell it for something else, or buy something to use alongside it. I resumed my daily habit of browsing classic cars for sale, looking at everything from a Beetle to an S14 Silvia. Interestingly enough I very nearly bought a Silvia, but was beaten to the post. It needed a lot of work though, a friend of mine is a student at Birmingham uni and it was their project car that'd been forgotten about for a few years, they were selling it to fund their Formula Student endeavours. After I lost out on the Silvia I carried on looking but there's so many different cars out there at all sorts of prices I didn't know what to get.

Then, last week, a 1990 GT2 in white popped up on Facebook Marketplace, sold by a guy that I was already familiar with through a local car club, and for a really good price. He said it was a clean and solid car, it just 'runs like crap' (exact words used in the ad :lol:). It sparked my interest (pun intended) straight away, but it already had 79 comments on it by the time I saw it, and I presumed he had a line of people waiting to buy it. I spoke with my parents about it since I still live with them, and while it's my money and my car, it's still their garage I'll be taking up at the end of the day. They seemed keen on it, and I asked the seller if it was still for sale. To my surprise it was, so I asked him for a few more details on it. Nearly a week passed and I got no reply, so I presumed he'd either sold it or decided to keep it. My mum offered to message him, and I said no out of fear of annoying him or looking desperate, but in true mum fashion she messaged him anyway. For some reason, he replied to my mum's messages, and she explained that I was genuinely interested in the car and had the money waiting. The guy then suddenly realised he knew who I was, felt embarassed he'd ignored my messages thinking I was just a tyre kicker, and messaged me back giving me details on the car. This was on a Friday (I'd originally messaged him the previous Saturday), and I arranged to view the car the following day. Took my dad with me since he knows more than me about older cars, and my mum came along too since she helped set it up (plus she likes cars too and wanted to look at it anyway). Within about half an hour of being there, I'd decided I wanted it. It was clean, no major rust, no signs of major damage, no welding and none needed either. The rear axle was in a better condition than the Panda's, and I'm not kidding! The car had obviously been garaged most of its life. It'd had a blow over at some point, there was some pretty nasty overspray in the wheel arches and under the bonnet, but nothing too bad. The car started fine after the help of some jump leads, and ran fine until it came off the choke, which is when it started struggling and misfiring, which told me it had some kind of fuelling issue. I had a look through the paperwork, which was a pretty large folder of various invoices, and a Haynes manual from when the car was new, with dirty pages to suit. I told the guy I'd have it, we shook hands, and the deal was done.

I arranged to have the car recovered, since it probably wouldn't make the journey home, even though it was only half an hour away. Last night a friend of the seller's (and someone else I'm also familiar with through the previously mentioned car club) brought it home for me, and I drove it for the first time backing it into the garage. That's the first time I've actually properly driven a car older than the Panda. It wasn't far obviously, but the throttle response from a cable is ten times better than the half a second delay I get in the Panda. First time driving a car without power steering too, and to be honest I didn't think it was that bad at all. It ran fine backing it into the garage, and even drove itself on to the recovery truck when the guy picked it up. It's obviously getting enough fuel with the choke out, but once that goes in, that's when it struggles.

All in all, I'm really happy with the car, really glad I bought it, and can't wait to get to work on it.

Photos from when I viewed it:

On the truck, coming home for the first time:

Apart from the fuelling issue, there's a few other little things it needs to get it perfect. As is with most cars of this vintage, the dash is cracked, but there's plenty of tutorials out there on how to fix them. The boot carpet is missing, but there's a company that makes them new for about £45. The rear view mirror is no longer on the windscreen and is currently on the passenger seat, but nothing a bit of double-sided tape can't fix. It has an aftermarket stereo that doesn't fit properly, I don't even know if that works yet, but I'm not bothered if it does or not since single DIN stereos are so cheap these days. The front bumper is a bit wonky as you might be able to tell in some photos, but I'm sure I can adjust it. The last recorded timing belt change was in 2007 at 85k miles, the clocks are now on 185k but the car itself is more likely to be at about 120k since it appears to have had the clocks changed at some point. The MOT history goes from 98k one year to 175k the next, and I very much doubt someone covered that many miles in a year. The timing belt looks insanely easy to do compared to what I'm used to, just the belt and tensioner to change, no dampers/rollers/water pumps. Will probably service it too, give it the full works. Should keep me busy over the summer!

Also, for those wondering, he's called Sylvester. :P

I love 1980's boxy-styled cars like this. Plastic boot spoilers are just the best.

So, once this is up and running, will you be keeping the Panda?

I love 1980's boxy-styled cars like this. Plastic boot spoilers are just the best.

So, once this is up and running, will you be keeping the Panda?

The plan is to keep the Panda as a daily, but I can't guarantee that :lol:. Having said that, I don't fancy driving the Scirocco in winter on salted roads and snow, as it looks to have mostly avoided that already.

The plan is to keep the Panda as a daily, but I can't guarantee that :lol:. Having said that, I don't fancy driving the Scirocco in winter on salted roads and snow, as it looks to have mostly avoided that already.
I'm the same way with my old Volvo (not that it'll ever be worth anything keeping it pristine). It's my summer car while my lowly Corsa is my daily. Though that's not even done 1000 miles this year :P the van gets all the miles.

A couple of pointers. No winter driving, just don't :) If you do, all the work you put in it will be for nothing.

I'd do the timing belt just for peace of mind. Check the fuel filler neck for rust (which can actually be some of the cause for running crap) and I'd also just check the arches underneath the bodykit for rust just so you are on top of things.

8v VWs are super fun. Congrats on the project. Another pointer, don't make it too much of a project all at once. Get it running, drive it for a bit and upgrade/repair as you find flaws.. :)

VW Heritage is a great place to find parts, the E38 forums and VWVortex (mainly US based) is worth checking out for used parts.

A couple of pointers. No winter driving, just don't :) If you do, all the work you put in it will be for nothing.

I'd do the timing belt just for peace of mind. Check the fuel filler neck for rust (which can actually be some of the cause for running crap) and I'd also just check the arches underneath the bodykit for rust just so you are on top of things.

8v VWs are super fun. Congrats on the project. Another pointer, don't make it too much of a project all at once. Get it running, drive it for a bit and upgrade/repair as you find flaws.. :)

VW Heritage is a great place to find parts, the E38 forums and VWVortex (mainly US based) is worth checking out for used parts.

Yeah, I don't really want to drive it in winter if I can help it.

Definitely going to do the timing belt. Heard that the filler necks are common for corroding on these and contaminating fuel so I'll get that looked at too. Hopefully I can find somewhere with a ramp that'll let me have a proper look underneath it since I'm not allowed to work on my own cars at work!

Latest Posts

Back