Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken) on Ridge Racer: "I witnessed the disappearance of great IP in-house."

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 10 comments
Indonesia
Paint booth
FMecha_EXE

We haven't had a proper Ridge Racer game since the launch of PS Vita (and the game itself had problems with DLC practices) and the last game under the stable was Draw and Drift. Even with R4 in PS Classic, the Terrazi Gaia ad in AC7, and various additions to gacha game Drift Spirits, is this the end?

I think the original formula for Rigde Racer is very dated nowadays. If they try to make it similar to older titles it won't be bigger than some kind of mobile games or indie games. If they try to create new formula for it then i doubt it will success.

I think that the only way Rigde Racer would come back as great title would be a "Wipeout Omega Collection" approach. Make a "remake" with "best of" tracks etc and put it like cheaper title.

In its current form it's had its day imo, that formula probably couldn't be competitive as a full priced game today unless they switched things up big time.

In its current form it's had its day imo, that formula probably couldn't be competitive as a full priced game today unless they switched things up big time.

Well they already tried that.

And we end up with this monstrosity

Ridge-Racer-Unbounded-PC-Nowa-Folia

Well they already tried that.

And we end up with this monstrosity

Ridge-Racer-Unbounded-PC-Nowa-Folia

They also tried it with this,

Racingbox.jpg

Which was also a disaster, but the point is they have to do something different because no one is going to buy traditional Ridge Racer anymore, not in it's classic guise and especially not for full game retail.

They also tried it with this,

Racingbox.jpg

Which was also a disaster, but the point is they have to do something different because no one is going to buy traditional Ridge Racer anymore, not in it's classic guise and especially not for full game retail.

I loved that game, it was far from perfect but it had character and some interesting mechanics.

I think if they got the content right there's definitely a market for a proper Ridge Racer, imagine RRTYPE4 in 4k120 with Ray tracing, loads of cars and tracks, good soundtrack. Would be awesome.

I loved that game, it was far from perfect but it had character and some interesting mechanics.

I think if they got the content right there's definitely a market for a proper Ridge Racer, imagine RRTYPE4 in 4k120 with Ray tracing, loads of cars and tracks, good soundtrack. Would be awesome.

Fan's would love it but would it sell to the mass market? It couldn't survive on a dwindling nostalgic fan-base, it would have to draw in new blood and and have a general appeal if they want to rebuild the franchise rather than just doing a remastered one off.

If Ridge Racer returns for next-gen console era, it's better to release only on digital.

Back