Kia Sedona minivan

• Thread starter CTznOfTime
  • 25 comments
France
SoCal
GTP_MooCow
I am excited and very much looking forward to the next iteration of the car I currently own.

So far I have been a very satisfied owner of a 2016 Kia Sedona, which I think looks fantastic, but I fear (happily) that the new/next generation Kia Sedona will looking very sharp, to give any CUV and SUV a run for their money...

We don't know how it will look exactly, but Currently on this day, there are prediction on the internet that it will look somewhat like this:
all-new-2021-kia-sedona-minivan-scooped_1.jpg

Let's use this thread to keep track of its design progression until and beyond its final release...

There is no clear date for release that I know of at this point...
I personally think it could be as early as this fall 2020 for the reveal and sales as late as end of 2021...

Another design of what may be coming out way:
Kia_Carnival_2021_render_1.jpg

For reference, the current one looks like this:
2017-kia-sedona-sx-limited-minivan-angular-front.png

2019-kia-sedona-1544194250.jpg

672874.jpg

2019-Kia-Sedona-01.jpg

Color me excited for the next one, I am a proud young Dad owner of a minivan.

Last edited:
The previous generation Sedona was a minivan.

The current version of the Sedona was labeled by Kia as a MPV, Multi-Purpose Vehicle.

The upcoming version of the Sedona is now dubbed by Kia as a GUV, Grand Utility Vehicle...

So yes, no more mini for at least one generations

2021-kia-sedona-rendering.jpg

563053-1592963916.jpg

563054-1592964196.jpg

These are the official look just revealed a bit early for the Australian market (and Korean) under the Carnival name.

Coming to the US probably a year from now.

I may be the only one here, but I actually prefer the styling of the previous generation. I really liked how elegant the styling was. This new one looks like it's trying too hard. I also do not like the fad of putting any largely important rear light assembly (brake light, turn signal, reverse lamp) on the bumper beneath the liftgate.

Maybe if I were to improve upon this design, I'd probably square up the front a little more, make the headlight assembly ever so slightly taller, and change the spindle grille to the one of the first photo's.

Last edited:
I may be the only one here, but I actually prefer the styling of the previous generation. I really liked how elegant the styling was. This new one looks like it's trying too hard. I also do not like the fad of putting any largely important rear light assembly (brake light, turn signal, reverse lamp) on the bumper beneath the liftgate.

Maybe if I were to improve upon this design, I'd probably square up the front a little more, make the headlight assembly ever so slightly taller, and change the spindle grille to the one of the first photo's.

i agree with you, some of the new styling seem a bit forced...
I am biased as i have the current generation, so i like it more as well... but the new design isn't too terribly terrible... Had they tone it just a tad down, i think it would have been perfect...

All the fantastic detailing and clever design work went out the window when they put the turn signals in the bumper. Kia can pound salt.

All the fantastic detailing and clever design work went out the window when they put the turn signals in the bumper. Kia can pound salt.

Oh man, I didnt notice that until now.

I hate turn signals in bumpers like some CUV SUV...

This is one small detail, but one that i loathe...
I wish Kia didn't make that mistake, otherwise the Sedona would have been perfect...

Especially with such an award winning interior (at least from my point of view) compared to the competition who tends to have all the gimmicky funny-looking dash, they all are trying too hard.

Kia keep it modern and simple, very ergonomic, and logically laid out:

2022-Kia-Sedona-Interior.jpg

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/13/new-kia-sedona-minivan-interior/

Last edited:
If this isnt the best mass market minivan, then I dont know what is:

So many useful features galore...

I now want to trade in my 2016 for this 2021

Last edited:
I would totally trade in my current gen Sedona for the new one if my wife let me....

Fantastic looking minivan after all...

The first thing I would do is black out the chrome trims on the Cpillar.

Edit:
The second thing would be to rebadge and put the Sedona name back on the trunk.

After seeing all the upcoming minivans, this is still my favorite, despite it's name "change"

Last edited:
Looks great! Too bad they gave it a stupid name with no recognition. Associating your product with carnies is never a good idea.

I agree with you @Keef regarding the name...
Although This minivan has always been named as a Carnival everywhere on earth, the fact that they initially imported to the US as a Sedona was a very good call and the rational still stand...

I have no idea and am very baffled at this decision to walk back to bring this "Circus" name to the US..

Minivan don't have a good reputation as of now, why make it harder by naming such a good product for "clowns"....

Sorry if I have offended any clowns here...

It should have stayed as a Sedona, a beautiful and inspiring place in the US...

Bad call on Kia's part IMO..

Carnival-comparison-image.jpg

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/24/2022-kia-carnival-versus-minivan-competition/

Last edited:
All the more reason to buy the Chrysler which is the one I would get.

I'm honestly surprised that Kia didn't just axe the Sedona. Compared to the Odyssey, Pacifica/Voyager, and Sienna, it's sales aren't even close. But, this redesign does seem very promising, so maybe they will increase.

I'm honestly surprised that Kia didn't just axe the Sedona. Compared to the Odyssey, Pacifica/Voyager, and Sienna, it's sales aren't even close. But, this redesign does seem very promising, so maybe they will increase.

It is unfortunate that the sales number in the US is so low, mainly due to uneducated buyers,..

Because I tell you, as someone who consider himself as a car guy, with many manual transmission BMWs under my ownership, I find the Sedona to be a great product on par and even exceeding the competition...

I test drove both the Honda Odyssey and the Pacifica, and found and settled on the Kia Sedona!

I truly believe if people gave the chance to Kia and the Sedona, they will see how wrong their perception of the brand, quality, reliability and product ls have been wrong for at least 10 years now...

The Koreans match and lately have exceeded the Japanese on so many levels.

And on this newest and latest iteration, I would not have any reservations recommending anyone to buy and own a Kia, or the Sedona over the competition.

I find it truly sad that so many of you and the general population so easily dismiss and too often overlook a great and very competitive product just because it is "korean", whatever that means to you.

I personally ma convinced that the Korean products are currently better and exceed the Japanese and Americans...

You also should keep in mind that the Sedona/Carnival has been selling quite well in other part of the world mainly Asia (India, South East Asian countries) and Australia and even Russia.
I don't believe Chrysler, the Odyssey or Sienna are even sold, these are American market vehicles only, contrarily to the Sedona/Carnival, which is practically a global product.

I feel the V6 Honda Odyssey could have been a #1 seller in Australia. If Australia got a taste of my '05 EX-L, the power alone would have made it the choice ride. However, I gather the price might have been in the $60,000- $70,000 range.

It needs AWD. I love my Sienna. I would consider the Sedona (or the Odyssey) if they came with AWD.

Last edited:
Saw one of these today. Probably not the first one I've seen but the first I've noticed and was able to see a badge.

What, uh...what's going on here?

2022-Kia-Carnival-18.jpg

I don't get it. Maybe something less chunky could look okay. Or mostly body color with less of the weird brushed/geometric metal bit. Or repeat the detail elsewhere. Or...something other than what they did.

Last edited:
Saw one of these today. Probably not the first one I've seen but the first I've noticed and was able to see a badge.

What, uh...what's going on here?

2022-Kia-Carnival-18.jpg

I don't get it. Maybe something less chunky could look okay. Or mostly body color with less of the weird brushed/geometric metal bit. Or repeat the detail elsewhere. Or...something other than what they did.
Yeah it's a weird design feature that's for sure.
We have one that we bought new in February that is booked in and waiting on modifications for wheelchair access for my wife.

It's hardly been driven but for the size of it the driving experience is pretty good. However every time I look at the "feature" I think to myself why, just why.

Yeah it's a weird design feature that's for sure.
We have one that we bought new in February that is booked in and waiting on modifications for wheelchair access for my wife.

It's hardly been driven but for the size of it the driving experience is pretty good. However every time I look at the "feature" I think to myself why, just why.
Well hopefully the vehicle works out well for you guys even if that detail is weird.

Thinking about it, it kind of reminds me of the fender or door "blades" on Range Rovers from this century. Not so much due to any visual similarity but due to the incongruity.

RR_18MY_Static_101017_09.jpg

Back