Kicking open a butterfly nest (forced feedback)

United States
Maine
VooDooChilde333
Yes, here it is, the sequel to the bee's nest. However, this one is tame.
This is on the subject of personal settings;
Controller Steering Sensitivity
Force Feedback Max. Torque
Force Feedback Sensitivity

I wasn't 100% sure about what exactly these were when they added them. So I set mine to what seemed like appropriate, 2 - 1 - 2 , and never looked back.
But now, looking at various settings from the top 20 record holders, and reading online, I am seeing the number 5 a lot being used. Now I am thinking maybe I have been doing something wrong this whole time, but I still don't exactly know what the hell these are, lol.
And like every other setting in the game, I trust the in game description about as much as politician.

What is your take (everyone) on the effects of these settings, and please include your own settings if you can.
And as we're in this particular forum, I would like your take on how these settings effect tuning and tunes as well.
2/1/2 works for me so far, because it seems the same as its always been.

From what I have found so far on G27.

Works the same way as it does with the DS3 stick. The higher the sensitivity level, the more minor inputs will be transmitted to the steering. Around 5-7 seems to me to be a nice ballpark for this setting for me. On the internal view these settings are pretty close to a 1:1 relationship to the steering wheel on the screen. Up side is that high settings is better for precise steering. The down side to higher settings is that they are less forgiving of mistakes (especially if the other settings are high too :ouch:)

This setting determines how strongly the wheel fights back when you hit a bump and steer into a corner. Low settings let you know where the balance is but is very "soft" in the resistance it puts up and its easy to hold a steady angle. A higher setting will give you a good work out :D
5 or 6 works for me 👍

This is how much of the feedback is transmitted to the wheel from the suspension. For me this one's good and bad points are one and the same
Higher settings will let you feel every contour of the road more or less. The camber of the track changes, you feel it. You run over a crack, you feel it. Anything that causes the wheels to move in a way other than intended, you'll feel it.

As far as their implications on tuning, I'm still trying to learn to use it and not really done much tuning with it. But I can say higher torque and FF sensitivity will allow you to "feel" more of how the car is absorbing bumps, shuddering under braking, wandering across the track due to poor damper settings or wheel alignment issues etc. So probably better for diagnostic purposes to have the FF sensitivity fairly high. The other two...where ever feels good 👍

From what I have found so far on G27.

Works the same way as it does with the DS3 stick. The higher the sensitivity level, the more minor inputs will be transmitted to the steering. Around 5-7 seems to me to be a nice ballpark for this setting for me. On the internal view these settings are pretty close to a 1:1 relationship to the steering wheel on the screen. Up side is that high settings is better for precise steering. The down side to higher settings is that they are less forgiving of mistakes (especially if the other settings are high too :ouch:)

This setting determines how strongly the wheel fights back when you hit a bump and steer into a corner. Low settings let you know where the balance is but is very "soft" in the resistance it puts up and its easy to hold a steady angle. A higher setting will give you a good work out :D
5 or 6 works for me 👍

This is how much of the feedback is transmitted to the wheel from the suspension. For me this one's good and bad points are one and the same
Higher settings will let you feel every contour of the road more or less. The camber of the track changes, you feel it. You run over a crack, you feel it. Anything that causes the wheels to move in a way other than intended, you'll feel it.

As far as their implications on tuning, I'm still trying to learn to use it and not really done much tuning with it. But I can say higher torque and FF sensitivity will allow you to "feel" more of how the car is absorbing bumps, shuddering under braking, wandering across the track due to poor damper settings or wheel alignment issues etc. So probably better for diagnostic purposes to have the FF sensitivity fairly high. The other two...where ever feels good 👍

From what your saying, me being used to 2/1 for the first two is not bad, and I should probably ignore them until I understand them better?
But the FFS I should kick up, wait, "while" I'm tuning? Then when I'm done tuning put it back to normal and I should see a better end tune? Or kick it up and just leave it up all the time?
(Thanks for the responces by the way)
See what bothers me about these 3 settings, is that unlike SRF or TC, there is no "off". They obviously do effect something, but noone mentions any of them when posting tunes here or the seasonal forum. Which leads me to believe they don't do that much after all. See how I'm on both sides of the track there, lol?

From what your saying, me being used to 2/1 for the first two is not bad, and I should probably ignore them until I understand them better?
But the FFS I should kick up, wait, "while" I'm tuning? Then when I'm done tuning put it back to normal and I should see a better end tune? Or kick it up and just leave it up all the time?
(Thanks for the responces by the way)
See what bothers me about these 3 settings, is that unlike SRF or TC, there is no "off". They obviously do effect something, but noone mentions any of them when posting tunes here or the seasonal forum. Which leads me to believe they don't do that much after all. See how I'm on both sides of the track there, lol?
It really comes down to using what is comfortable for you/ what gives you what you want (as does everything else ) :) And yes they do all do something :lol: They don't effect the game as such, but the game effects the wheel more with higher FFS and torque values ;)

If you are happy with the CSS at 2 and are use to it I'd recommend sticking with it. But the other 2 work hand in hand to give you the "driving experience" rather than just control over which way the wheels are pointing....if you get what I'm saying :odd:. Using low values for these two makes using the wheel easier on us, as the user, but limits what we will notice about the cars handling :).

I wouldn't turn the FSS up just to tune then put it back down for general use though. I'd say experiment with that and the torque to find a nice balance then stick with them once you're comfortable :). Personally I like the FSS at 9 or 10, it feels more like it should for me (compared to IRL experience) and the torque somewhere in the middle (slightly lower if I dont want to fight too much :lol:).

@Thorin Cain said right explanation for those, CSS can also be described as input delay, lower numbers and more delay on steering input, higher number and less delay. Good preferred values those 5-7, I'm sitting mostly on 6 and sometimes on 7.

FFT I use 6, gives enough force for all movements on suspension to feel on hands when using FFS at 10 to give all smallest "holes" from ground to hands. When using maximum FF sensitivity like I'm you might not want rise FF torque above 6, small or smallest bumps grow too big bumps.

There is also few other settings what are linked to FFB wheel users what you @demonchilde might want to alter/adjust, Steering type and power steering on normal setup menus.
Steering type is kinda same as active steering, but it works on other end, on steering rods.
If you use "simulation" there is zero help from game, wheels are always pointed as you steer with your wheel.
All settings under that simulation are helping steering, help is "auto directing" front wheels on expected drive "rail", meaning at it can either turn more wheels if you're not turning enough for proper turn, or it can turn less if you're overturning wheel. Amount of help is decided with those settings, beginner mode and you can steer lot out from right turn angle and wheels are corrected on right angle from wider turn range, professional and corrections aren't so big.
For best feel use simulation, but if you want all helps on TT use something else. I'm always on simulation, don't want game to alter my steering angle.

Power steering, reduces steering wheel "nominal FFB weight" effect close to zero, and during quick steering angle changes drops "weight" zero, allowing quick turn on wheel.
Many people arguing about what you can feel from tires, suspension etc. thru wheel and if you're not using power steering you actually feel lot less what's happening on down there.
Reason is simple, wheel weight effect is that FFB force what resists your moves constantly when you're turning wheel, and small nuances on wheels are transferred simultaneously on same FFB engines and those changes are just drops in ocean against "wheel weight" effect, so it's hard to recognize those drops behind weight effect.
I'll suggest for best experience on driving to use power steering on, it might sound stupid as using "help" provides better feel, but it's true, it just silences lot of irrelevant information, anyone of us knows at there is resistance when turning wheel, different amounts on different situations, those differences on resistance are there after power steering is activated, but there is also lots of more effects to feel with it, effects what you probably haven't feel ever before.

Ps. Plus G27/G25 users can eliminate deadzone from wheel with neat trick.

I used +1 steering sensitivity for GT6 since release, while in GT5 I used +3 :P My DS2 is suck now, it's so loose that it moves itself erratically.
Effect of setting is slightly different on DS than wheel, because of dynamics of controller type.
So comparing DS and wheel on that setting is hard, there is still lot of similarities.

If you want use radical direction changes on physical DS inputs without actually doing such radical turns on wheels you might want to go low end values, if you're "stick alien" and capable of uber precise movements on stick then big numbers on sensitivity are fine. That kinda similar on both devices, actual effect differs bit.

The devil is in the details :cheers:
Ahh yes but to have lived as to know the devil.

Personally I run 7/7/10 on my DFGT, i have tried 7/10/10 but it over heats my wheel.
When I'm DS3 testing I use 3-5 sensitivity with left stick steering right stick throttle L2 break set up.

I'm sure if I invested in a new higher end wheel I would turn down the FFB sensitivity to 5-7 but mine needs it at 10 so I get the feedback from the car.

@MrGrado yes technically this is sorta a dup thread as there is wheel discussion thread in sim hardware but it's not dedicated to just the feedback settings.

I appreciate this thread as it is a good reminder to check the settings...👍

I played with the settings last night and decided on the following:

CSS: 5
FF Torque: 5
FF Sens: 7
Power Steering: ON
Steering Type: Simulation

TM VG T300RS Servo Base with the Ferrari GTE F458 add on wheel...:)

I wonder what settings I should use on my new wheel?
Picked it up real cheap at a yard sale.
FB_IMG_1464471234239.jpg

Back