Kmh BACK to Mph ?? I'm DYING PLEASE HELP !!

Cuba
Miami, FL, CUBA
mistamontiel00
I order this game finally got back to playing it..I load my data, and I look in the options, I look in the "Settings" part before starting Simulation race, and I STILL can't find anywhere KMH or MPH. I'm only used to MPH, it's how I clock in the turns, I can't play AT ALL in KMH PLEASE where can I change it back ?? ;[

You can't change these figures in GT1, GT2, or GT3. Only in the fourth game and GT5P do we get these options.

To convert from km/h to mph, multiply km/h by .62

200 km/h x .62= 124 mph.

Lame, but that's whacha gotta do.

Yeah, you can't change speed units in GT1. Just learn to live with it. When I first started out I also got confused because I use km/h everyday, and I have the NTSC version which means it's mph in game. Eventually I got used to it though. In GT5P however I still changed it to km/h, because it feels faster :D.

Every proper petrolhead knows at least rough conversion between the two.

Every proper petrolhead knows at least rough conversion between the two.

This. I purposely swap to KM/H occasionally in GT4 just so I confuse myself a bit and keep brushed up on the rough conversions.

Landmarks in km to mi:

100kmh = 62mph, roughly 60mph.
160kmh = roughly 100mph
200kmh = roughly 120mph
300kmh = roughly 180mph (really more like 186)
400kmh = roughly 250mph

Further, why exactly do you use the speedo to gauge what speed to be at through a corner? If I could in the GT games I'd run with JUST a tachometer, because when you're actually RACING, it doesn't matter what speed you're at. Once you establish what RPM in what gear you need to be at for a given corner you're golden.

Changing gearing screws me up infinitely more than changing between measurement systems, and really, that's as it should be. Of course after a few laps I'll be used to a given gear ratio setup and will by that point know whether it's faster or slower around the track.

Good points there, Rotary Junkie 👍. Still it would be nice if they allow us to change the units in the first three games. I'm not complaining though.

Relax ya'll. DAMN, wtf is going on !? I had a demo disc long ago, which had a downloadable save file. Get pretty much all the crap you want, all the crap completed. I have my own file too..so it comes out MPH..but the downloaded save file only lets me play in KMH..so maybe it depends on the car you using..

^^I'm relaxed, mistamontiel. I'm not sure how to fix your problem, though. :indiff:

The "speedometer" in GT & GT2 is just a numeral readout. There's no dial-style speedometer in these games. In GT3 and later, PD added a dial speedometer. Personally, I like to use the dial sometimes. You can use the dial in GT3 or GT5P (dial is too small in GT4)...not by staring at it, but by using peripheral vision to get a sense at how fast you're going. If the needle is near 10 o'clock, for instance, you'll know you're going 100 mph or whatever. I've been playing GT games long enough that this helps me just as much as the tach needle; and I find myself using both the dial-speedometer and the tach needle at times; switching back and forth...all while using peripheral vision while my the other 90% of my vision is trained on the road & other cars.

Tachometer needles are also a good way to gauge speed, too; but the problem is the readout isn't fixed, obviously, since gears are constantly being changed.

Last edited:
Yes, the first two games only have a digital speed readout. I find the speedometer in GT3/4/5P a nice touch, but I still use the digital readout in the middle for reference. It's just so much more accurate, and I'm used to it as well...If they make the cockpit dials readable in GT5 though, I'll definitely be driving cockpit view all the time.

Okay being serious for a moment, of what use is a speed reading of any type.
When I am driving , I am driving as fast as I possibly can for each and every moment.
Knowing my actual speed is of no use to me whatsoever, whether it is mph km/hr or warp factor / spatial units !

If someone needs the actual speed for any given corner, ie, following the advice in a FAQ for a driving mission / licence test that may be useful, but generally only if studying a replay.
I mean honestly, why do you need to watch your speed anyway ?

Like you said, most of the time I don't pay attention to it except during license tests and such. I'm also a very 'basic' (dunno if that's the right word) racer, I just try to go as fast as I can without thinking too much. BUT, in some instances it's very helpful to know your corner entry, apex and exit speeds as reference. Especially when you are in a new car/track and still learning the limits of the car/track. Of course, in GT1/2 I know the limits well enough now so I just read the speed for amusement, but in GT5P I'm still constantly learning (from experimenting, online replays, etc) so the speedometer is definitely important for me.

Yes, the first two games only have a digital speed readout. I find the speedometer in GT3/4/5P a nice touch, but I still use the digital readout in the middle for reference. It's just so much more accurate, and I'm used to it as well...If they make the cockpit dials readable in GT5 though, I'll definitely be driving cockpit view all the time.

The problem with GT5p is they got too much information going on with the cockpit view. There's the cockpit itself, which is beautifully done, but some people are complaining that the position of the view should be movable to find that perfect spot for viewing gauges, the road, etc, as opposed to the fixed position of the driver the way it is now. On top of that, PD puts a bunch of info (speedo, lap times, etc) in the cockpit view that shouldn't be there. We should at least be able to turn this stuff off...it just clutters things up.

The other day I was driving a Citroen in GT5P. Since I like using the English mph, the PD speedo readout was in mph, but the car's speedo was in km/h! :lol:

Okay being serious for a moment, of what use is a speed reading of any type.
When I am driving , I am driving as fast as I possibly can for each and every moment.
Knowing my actual speed is of no use to me whatsoever, whether it is mph km/hr or warp factor / spatial units !

If someone needs the actual speed for any given corner, ie, following the advice in a FAQ for a driving mission / licence test that may be useful, but generally only if studying a replay.
I mean honestly, why do you need to watch your speed anyway ?

Hey I take a gander at my speed sometimes, using peripheral vision to look out the "corner of my eye" towards the dial readouts, especially if I'm doing an endurance or some other long race in which I get to know the car I'm driving really well. But it's not always an absolute need. More like another tool to use. I only use the digital speed readout if I'm doing a license test over and over and need extra precision. Kinda hard to explain.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying and I do understand.
I guess for my part, it is great not to have to worry about keeping an eye on your speed ( radar guns / speed cameras anyone :crazy:).

Back