Knocked 20 Seconds off my lap time using a Logitech G29

  • Thread starter Thread starter kirkie
  • 27 comments
  • 6,381 views
Messages
1
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Messages
kirkston
I have only recently bought GT Sport, I am a hardcore GT Fan, loved all the GT Series, started using a wheel with GT5.

I started with a Logitech GT, then G27 Then G29 and various cockpits made up, always used a wheel since GT5, but GT6 my save file corrupted twice, lost all my cars, my settings my progress etc, also various update and download issues, I got fed up with it and sold all my kit, but since GT Sport was released I had the excitement all over again so ended up buying a Ps4 & GT Sport, playing only with the pad, I tried it with the d pad first, then the analog stick, found the stick to be better, but found it tricky to control the car, specially on the limit, tonight I went to pick up a G29, after setting it up, I went straight to Fuji and on the first lap knocked 20 seconds off my best time with the controller, it seems crazy to me that that's the difference over a lap. :)

Kirkie
 
That's pretty significant. From what I here from most wheel users is the wheel is defiantly faster in GT Sport but takes a lot of practice to get faster lap times then the controller at first. Perhaps your controler time wasn't as good as you thought? Espicialy if you were using a weird config in regards to the button layout on the pad. This is what I think really happened. Congrats non the less.
 
20 secs? geez..somethin was definitely wrong with ur controller at the beginning :) ..im doing 1:45s(Fuji GT) with the controller..used to have g27 with cockpit yrs ago but sold it cause i was too busy with work/life to get hc. As sleezy just said the wheel would be faster over time but takes some work to get up to pace. Hit me up with friend request if ya like psn: Forz4rookie
 
Last edited:
That sounds strange :) When I got my wheel I was significantly slower than with the controller - you are probably more used to the wheel rather than d-pad/analog - don't know if the wheel makes you faster over time - but almost 1 year later playing with a wheel I can say it definitely makes you more consistent and takes the fun to another level. :)
 
I'm going to put it to you that you were just rubbish with a controller (with all due respect) and just put in time with G29...

eg. I have golded Bathurst Le Mans and the Ring on the controller and it just took perseverance.

I'm generally rubbish at all three and if you told me that one day I would get a 6'56 on the Ring or 3'32" on Le Mans or a 2'08" at Bathurst I tell you you were being optimistic.

There's no way I'd get these times on say GT6 or Forza 7.
 
I've had a couple pads that didn't give 100% input on R2. 20 seconds sounds a bit dramatic of a difference lol
 
20 secs is nothing on the ring.

Its another suburb on Tsukuba.

If you have complex track and its your first shot at it then 20 secs is about right... eg. one of the long St. Croix layouts could easily have that margin.

But if I record a crappy initial drive on the controller and then put all my effort into the G29 then of course you will see -20 sec improvement.
 
Yes, that is the genuine difference. GT Sport is pay to win because you have to have a wheel to gain 20 seconds a lap.

I don't think so. A wheel does help, but it certainly not 20 seconds faster. Over a race distance a wheel will help with consistency but if you think a wheel will give you 2-20 seconds better lap time, it won't. Only if you are not suited to using a controller in the first place.

Analogue stick for steering, triggers for acceleration and brake and x/square for gears.

There are pad users in the top 24. You think they will go seconds per lap faster with a wheel?

Edit: Apologies in advance if you were being sarcastic lol.
 
I don't think so. A wheel does help, but it certainly not 20 seconds faster. Over a race distance a wheel will help with consistency but if you think a wheel will give you 2-20 seconds better lap time, it won't. Only if you are not suited to using a controller in the first place.

Analogue stick for steering, triggers for acceleration and brake and x/square for gears.

There are pad users in the top 24. You think they will go seconds per lap faster with a wheel?

Edit: Apologies in advance if you were being sarcastic lol.

a big whoosh
 
Yeah but all that time gained offsets the longer potstop. I mean pitstop.

Strategy, right there
 
I don’t get 20s difference. I’m equally fast(or slow :lol:) on controller and wheel. I ended up selling the wheel I bought for GTS because I never used it much. Why use a wheel when I race just as fast with a controller. :indiff:
 
What are the parameters other than you went to Fuji?
 
That sounds strange :) When I got my wheel I was significantly slower than with the controller - you are probably more used to the wheel rather than d-pad/analog - don't know if the wheel makes you faster over time - but almost 1 year later playing with a wheel I can say it definitely makes you more consistent and takes the fun to another level. :)

I believe there is some "magic" in the DS4. I had to go from my Fanatec back to the DS4 while my Fanatec had to go in for warranty. Using the DS4 it seems I can brake later, catch slides easier, and get back on the gas harder, quicker than when using my wheel. I think the best set up would be using a wheel and pedal to operate the DS4 controls. the pedal set up should be pretty easy, the wheel may be difficult, Im going to take a part one of my DS4's and see what i can do. I built my own "playseat".
 
Using the DS4 it seems I can brake later, catch slides easier, and get back on the gas harder, quicker than when using my wheel.

This one has always interested me (I see it a lot) because my very first thought using the wheel at Live Events coming from the pad was how much later I could brake, as I could turn in so much faster. The DS4 has a steering lock which cuts in before you get any real understeer, so you can never really get the front to bite as hard. It's one of those hidden assists you can't turn off used to help people not overturn on entry, pretty annoying but has to be balanced I guess!

I agree about exits being slightly easier. I think they've nerfed the advantages of both to be honest. Non linear throttle nerfs the wheel/pedals as throttle control is the big advantage normally there, and they've nerfed the lock of the pad. The high speed chicane at St Croix A not long before the bridge for example murders the DS4.

What you want is the wheel on corner entry and the pad on exit basically.
 
I agree about exits being slightly easier. I think they've nerfed the advantages of both to be honest. Non linear throttle nerfs the wheel/pedals as throttle control is the big advantage normally there, and they've nerfed the lock of the pad. The high speed chicane at St Croix A not long before the bridge for example murders the DS4.

What you want is the wheel on corner entry and the pad on exit basically.

You mean the real quick left/right that is almost WOT in the F1 car and AI takes it at like 90MPH??? I love that chicane!!!!
 
Just for fun I'm going to try the time trial on Sport Race A using the controller instead of my rig.

Update:
I'm probably the world's worst driver with the controller. Been using a wheel since 2010. I did however use a controller again for 3 months at the beginning of 2018 while I put together a new rig.
Used the controller for the first time tonight since perhaps March and I'm 1.7 seconds of my best time using the wheel on Race A. Managed a 1:43.328 after 10 laps. Still hitting the wrong shift buttons, so there's time there without doing too many more laps.

Second update:
Ok, having a bit of wine and decided to see how much slower the lap would be if I never shifted the Evo out of 5th gear using the contoller. Stayed in 5th for the full lap and ran a 1:55.174 on the second lap. Just over 14 seconds off my best wheel time. Correction...13 seconds. My math is bad when I drink apparently.

It was actually fun to try.
 
Last edited:
Just for fun I'm going to try the time trial on Sport Race A using the controller instead of my rig.

Update:
I'm probably the world's worst driver with the controller. Been using a wheel since 2010. I did however use a controller again for 3 months at the beginning of 2018 while I put together a new rig.
Used the controller for the first time tonight since perhaps March and I'm 1.7 seconds of my best time using the wheel on Race A. Managed a 1:43.328 after 10 laps. Still hitting the wrong shift buttons, so there's time there without doing too many more laps.

Second update:
Ok, having a bit of wine and decided to see how much slower the lap would be if I never shifted the Evo out of 5th gear using the contoller. Stayed in 5th for the full lap and ran a 1:55.174 on the second lap. Just over 14 seconds off my best wheel time. Correction...13 seconds. My math is bad when I drink apparently.

It was actually fun to try.

If you are losing time shifting try it with auto to get an idea of the difference
 
I have golded Bathurst Le Mans and the Ring on the controller
I'm not trying to be an arse here but, I'm confused, is that supposed to be hard or something? I've got gold everything (Driving School, Mission Challenges and Circuit Experience) and 282 Sport Mode wins (plus 249 poles and 246 fastest laps) using a controller.
 
Why do people never seem to use the 6-axis function when using the controller? I'm significantly faster (2sec) per lap on Interlagos. Much more consistent too, I can bang the same times out lap after lap using the motion controls whereas with the stick there's much more chance I'll make a mistake. I can't comment on a wheel with this game yet but Christmas is not far off so we'll see.
 
Why do people never seem to use the 6-axis function when using the controller? I'm significantly faster (2sec) per lap on Interlagos. Much more consistent too, I can bang the same times out lap after lap using the motion controls whereas with the stick there's much more chance I'll make a mistake. I can't comment on a wheel with this game yet but Christmas is not far off so we'll see.
Hmmm I'm going to try sixaxis controlls then.
 
Just make sure you give it more than 10 minutes because it does take a bit of time to get used to. I have the vibration turned off too. Good luck.
 
I've use the controller and wheel, and for me the main difference is consistency, with the wheel I can do lap after lap with smaller differences and I use the G27 with Cronusmax and I'm still getting used to it because only got the game in August, but I do think that in early games(GT5 and GT6 the ones that I played with the wheel) there was a bigger difference between Ds4 and the wheel because on those my times especially on the TT's were significantly different with controller and wheel
 
Back