Konami announces TurboGrafx Mini

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by chzsln485, Jun 12, 2019.

1. chzsln485

chzsln485

Konami announced today a new mini console - this one's based on the TurboGrafx-16. You'll know the formula by now - like the NES/SNES Mini, styling varies between regions based on the console's original appearance, and it'll contain a selection of built-in games.

So far, the following have been announced:
    - R-Type
    - New Adventure Island
    - Ninja Spirit
    - Ys Book 1 & 2
    - Dungeon Explorer
    - Alien Crush

Nothing yet on price or release date, but to tide you over, here's a photo of the snazzy Japanese PC Engine version:

[​IMG]

Thoughts? I personally think it's a great idea as in the UK, the TurboGrafx was only ever available by mail order (!), so the original console is exceedingly uncommon - and one of the fantastic things about re-releases of old games is that it finally makes prohibitively rare titles accessible to a much wider audience, free from the supply/demand considerations of a collector's market - and the pricetags that can bring.

Plus, it's from the era when 2D games/pixel art were at their peak, when each console was very different in hardware specification - and therefore their signature look and sound. It'll complement the SNES and upcoming Mega Drive mini quite nicely, I reckon.

As the PS1 classic has shown, though, it could stumble on below-par emulation and - crucially - having the licenses to the headline titles that people remember best, and arguably define the system.

If they get those things right though - it deserves every success.

(also I know it's a long shot but can we have a six button arcade stick for all the lovely arcade type games this'll have?)

Eurogamer's original article below:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-12-konami-unveils-a-mini-turbografx-16-console

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Tornado

Tornado

Which means it will fail, because outside of Japan no such titles exist.

3. FoxMulder

FoxMulder

I'm really interested in it. Konami should have no issue like Sony with licensing games as they own so much of the console's library. They could easily put like 40+ games on here like on the wiiu VC.